“Fantastic!”

Sun Studio Guided Tour
Ranked #2 of 153 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Sun Studio - The place where an 18 year old Elvis Presley recorded his first song. It’s well-known in the music industry as "The Birthplace of Rock 'N' Roll" and the most famous recording studio in the world. Opened by rock pioneer Sam Phillips in 1950, this national Historic Landmark is where superstar musicians like Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and countless others started their recording careers. Today, Sun Studio still serves as a recording studio in the evenings while hosting public tours during the daytime hours.
scarborough
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Visited here yesterday with my teenage daughter. Was $12 each for the tour lasting approx 45 mins. Lydia was our guide. All I can say is that it is amazing that the tour seems so much fun and so good for what is essentially two rooms . Lydia made it all come alive and exciting, and to cap it all I got to hold the microphone all the stars have used!!
Great place, could easily do it again!

3 Thank scarboroughtraveller

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A Must See, but disappointing”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

No trip to Memphis would be complete without a visit to Sun Studios, where rock and roll was born, but once you have seen it I can think of no reason to go back. There is very little memorabilia and the tour guide, Eldorado really added nothing to the experience. While it was cool to stand in the studio where history was made, I expected way more. I learned more about Sun Studios at the Rock and Soul Museum and from countless movies than I learned here. As I said for boomers it is a must see, but once seen there is no reason to go back.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank CdnWarthog
Leesburg, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun tour, worth the admission”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We really enjoyed the Sun Studio tour. Our tour guide "El Dorado" was very entertaining and gave it his all in spite of the fact that he probably had given the same tour 20 times that day. It's a small studio, but El Dorado made it come alive with stories of the artists that recorded there. Three thumbs way up from us!

2 Thank FamSocialDirector
New Orleans
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Go and have fun while it lasts!”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I really enjoyed our guided tour of the Sun Studio. It's small, so there's not a lot of movement, but there's definitely a lot of history here. It was great to hear the different clips of music to give some kind of an education to the uninitiated. The only thing was that I wish somehow the tour could have lasted longer. Not to say that we didn't get our money's worth (we did), I just wanted to learn even more. I'd definitely recommend this place as an important stop in Memphis.

2 Thank AustenNut
London
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Definitley worth going - the tour guide makes history come to life”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I wasn't sure about going to sun studio as I thought it might be a bit boring. However, the tour guides really did an excellent job of bringing history to life with a great talk. They were very enthusiastic and used recordings and other items to help bring the story to life. It's woth noting that there is a free tour bus from the rock and roll museum in town (which I only discovered on the way back unfortunatley).

3 Thank JonathanCC

Been to Sun Studio? Share your experiences!