“Interesting and informative”

and up
African American Heritage Self-Guided Tour With Transportation
Ranked #14 of 160 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can tour the tunnels used by runaway slaves who stopped at this plantation, one of the stations of the Underground Railroad.
Reviewed August 12, 2014

It was a little hard to find but keep looking as it reminds one of the history of our nation. The. Young lady that sang Swing Low Sweet Chariot has a great voice.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

My friend and I visited this place last week, and I really gleaned a lot of information from the tour and the artifacts in the house. I also appreciated that there was no white-bashing, as I've experienced in similar museums. The staff were friendly, images were moving, and I learned a lot about languages slaves would use to communicate--quilts, drums, music, etc. I recommend it.

3  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This unassuming home, not far from the banks of the Mississippi, provides a poignant history of a dark time in the South.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Burkle estate is a small house that is in not in the best condition, but don't let this dissuade you from taking the tour. Our tour guide was a wonderful source of what life was life during this time. She explained how the slaves would come to the house for safekeeping as they tried to make their way to freedom. You can see where they entered the house and tour the small cellar where they would have to wait sometimes for weeks in order to continue their journey. The house itself is interesting, but the story told by the tour guides is fascinating. Allow 1 hour 30 minutes for your visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This place is a must see. My family and I recently visited Slave Haven and it was informative,
enlightening . Every one of the presenters was very knowledgeable , skillful and very good at imparting the education and interacting with the crowd. We left there so thankful that we had went there. There is some rich and important history they are sharing with others. In fact I have never gone online and left a review for any place. This is my first time, because I want others to know about this place and the work that the people at Slave Haven are doing. My wife and my daughter
and myself will always remember our visit there, and Slave Haven helped make our vacation to Memphis a memorable vacation.
Ken D