“Great Free Field Trip for Art Students”

Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
Ranked #28 of 119 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1916 and located at 1934 Poplar Ave. in historic Overton Park, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art is home to Tennessee’s oldest and largest major collection of world art. More than 10,000 works make up the Brooks Museum’s permanent collection, including works from ancient Greece, Rome, and the Americas; Renaissance masterpieces from Italy; English portraiture; American painting and decorative arts; contemporary art; and a survey of African art. The Brooks Museum enriches the lives of our diverse community through the museum's expanding collection, varied exhibitions, and dynamic programs that reflect the art of world cultures from antiquity to the present.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Last week our students visited the Brooks for a specific lesson entitled "Materials and Meaning". Our group was broken down into small groups for an intimate and in depth tour. The lesson was focused on specific pieces from the collection. After the tour, the students were invited into the studio to create art patterned after artist Willie Cole's prints made from irons. The students enjoyed their experience, especially since only one had ever visited the museum. I highly recommend the Brooks for our community and school field trips. This pairs nicely with a picnic lunch next door at Overton Park.

All reviews
"gift shop"
in 6 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 2 reviews
"the civil rights movement"
"baroque"
"midtown"
in 4 reviews
"ancient"

Reviewed November 11, 2014

Brooks has great shows and this one, originating from the Brooklyn Museum, was very interesting and entertaining. I read everything, and probably should have gotten the audio tour, but fell into a tour that touched on some interesting high points. I had no idea Egypt had so many millions of animal mummies, from ibises, cats and dogs to alligators and tiny shrews. The intricate wrappings and sarcophagi were outstanding.

Reviewed October 17, 2014

I went with my art professor daughter so I had my own docent. I am also a lifelong learning student who had a student ID so the entrance fees were reduced for me. If one enjoys art, this would be the museum to see in Memphis especially since it is in the lovely setting of Overton Park which has many other places of interest to visit like the great zool.

Reviewed October 15, 2014

Brooks has a pretty amazing collection for what is considered a secondary market for art museums, and it is presented in a gorgeous facility amidst beautiful Overton Park, in the middle of the city. And the temporary exhibits are always interesting and worth seeing.