“Average Museum”

Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
Ranked #44 of 154 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: The state's oldest and largest art museum.
Clarksville, Tennessee
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Average Museum”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is a fairly small museum. The collection as nothing amazing, just okay. It's a little confusing as you wander around. Make sure you pay attention, or you might miss a room or hallway. My favorite part, and really the only reason I'm glad we went, was their old book collection. There are several beautiful antique books lining a small hallway.

Visited February 2011

Bowling Green, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Small but lovely”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Brooks Museum has a lovely collection of artwork, most by lesser-known artists, but beautiful work, nevertheless. They have some truly remarkable portraiture, and I enjoyed their religious artifacts as well. The Museum Store has some nice prints (not as many as I would have liked--I was looking for one in particular and it was not available).

While I was there, they had a very nice display of Depression era photographs, as well as a photography display by local high school students depicting what they see as the most pressing problems in the Memphis area. The display was very well-done, and showcased the students' talent.

Go on Wednesday, if you can. It is "Pay What You Can" day, so you can get in for nothing, if you want, or a small donation. The Museum is absolutely worth the $7 admission for adults, though.

Visited March 2011
Southaven, Mississippi
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Likely won't come back.”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This was my visit to the Brooks Museum and it will likely be my last. With the security people all over the exhibit, I felt like I was in a prison and being watched by guards. The one security person I interacted with apparently had missed the training class about customer service, because she was not pleasant at all, failed to be courteous, say please, or be respectful to me as a patron. That in itself took my enjoyment of an otherwise interesting exhibit on photography of Rock and Roll away. I've also been to the St. Louis Museum of Art this summer and that was a much more enjoyable experience with more to see, and it was free.

2 Thank mnhky1
Tennessee
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Wonderful museum in Memphis”
Reviewed July 24, 2010

The Brooks Museum is a gem and an asset to the cultural arts in Memphis. The museum itself is beautiful and the exhibits are always worth a trip to see. The admission prices are very reasonable and the children's audio tour is perfect for upper elementary and middle school children. If you are visiting Memphis this is a must see attraction.

NYC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Small, but nice”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This is a lovely little museum with a wonderful collection of art, mostly by lesser known artists. It's also located in a wonderfully picturesque park. The staff was welcoming and friendly, and we very much enjoyed our time there.