“Good compressed history of Rock and Soul music”

Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum
$94.00*
Self-Guided Memphis Music Tour With Transportation
Ranked #7 of 156 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Chronicling the artists and the music that shaped the legacy of "Memphis Sound," this museum features the Smithsonian's "Rock 'n' Roll: Social Crossroads" exhibition.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The museum is very small. It is located next to the Fedex forum. I had just visited Graceland, and was curious about the history of music.
Excellent place to get info, the audioguide is ok, but the placement of which one to hear was a bit confusing. You are just listening and reading to the exhibitions. Not a place to bring young children as they will be so bore.

There are newer reviews for Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is the first time that I have ever wanted to hug/adopt an entire museum staff. I don't know where they found so many nice and helpful people but it was like going to a favorite aunt's house who just happens to be expert in the evolution of music in the Memphis area in the last century.

There aren't that many different rooms but it really takes a long time to look at everything and if you listen to all the available music samples, you'd be in there for several hours. I wish there were more benches to rest on while you listen. After two days of walking and dancing, I really needed the benches that were there.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went to this museum with my Ethnomusicologist husband. From the outside it looked a bit touristy but inside it is pure Smithsonian. Once we were used to the format, (audio guides), we could study the history of Memphis music, which is also the history of race relations in America, or just rock out to the Jukebox selections. You can just run through it but we enjoyed meandering and listening to the very dense information provided. We thought we knew a lot about the blues, but this museum taught us more and was enjoyable.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Given its proximity to Beale Street, I was afraid that this museum might be something of a tourist trap. Not so! As soon as I saw the introductory movie, I knew I was in for a treat. There is a wealth of information presented in very thoughtful displays. My favorite part was the jukebox feature, which allowed you to listen to dozens of songs. Having read most of the information the first time through, I'd love to go back and just listen to the music samples. It covers much of the same information as the Stax museum, although it is more convenient to downtown and on a somewhat smaller scale. We very much enjoyed the two hours or so that we spent here. They closed one hour early the day we were there for a private event. Fortunately, we still had enough time to do this fine museum justice.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a large group of business associates and customers, approximately 70. Plenty of room for tables and great for folks to wander around and talk business and browse through the exhibits.
Don't think I would pay to get in here for a tour but would definitely recommend it for events such as the one we had.