“Never disappointed ”

Graceland
Ranked #1 of 120 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 5, 2018 via mobile

Visited 10 years and so much had changed. Nothing in the interior of the mansion. Squashcourt had has major changes.

The additional buildings at the tourist centre have. One complex now. Planes are detached but in a way that it isn’t an inconvenience to visit.

Mementos have changed; different shops having different versions which I didn’t like after buying one scarf at one location and then finding the colour you would have preferred in another store. Buy 2 or settle for second best??

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank CLSweets
Write a ReviewReviews (16,788)
All reviews
in 580 reviews
"own pace"
in 674 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2018

So, as an Elvis fan it’s bound to be a place to visit when in Memphis. This was firmly on our itinerary as part of a bigger trip in the Southern USA.
We drove here from downtown, rather than take the shuttle from Sun Studios (where we had been earlier in the day) just for convenience.
It’s very easy to find (with SatNav help!) and parking is simple and reasonable.
There was 4 of us – me as the avid Elvis fan, my wife as a moderate Elvis fan and 2 friends who enjoy some of his music and a passing interest in his life and associated history – so that paints a picture of who we are.
We went on Labour Day weekend Sunday and it was very quiet, which was great! We had pre-purchased our tickets though and I could imagine that being helpful at busier times.
I really didn’t expect it to be such an experience and it is organised in a way that you follow a “route” which starts off with a short video and then you queue/line-up to get a bus over to The Graceland Mansion. As part of the trip you are given an iPad which interactively guides you through the mansion. Don’t pass this up as it provides a great insight to where you are at and what is so special about the part of the mansion you are in at the time.
The mansion is not massive by today’s standards but it won’t disappoint you.
It’s great to actually see what I’ve heard about and the iPad provides an appropriate back-drop to where you are with just the right song and/or commentary.
Without describing the whole house it is worth saying that it is something you will not regret doing – fan or not! At the end when you are guided to the meditation garden. Despite not expecting it, I felt overwhelmed. I’m sure it’s just a build-up of the whole experience and the music that you are listening to as well as seeing the various memorials, so prepare yourself!
After the mansion you are taken back to the estate area and then guided through a series of areas that take you chronologically though the life and music of Elvis, culminating with a chance to go inside his 2 jets.
The whole experience is about 4 hours, including a brief stop for a milkshake (definitely try them!) which flies by. I could happily visit the place again if I get the chance it is that enjoyable.
Some final points I will make. If you are a music fan rather than Elvis you will still find this interesting. If you are an Elvis fan you will find it incredible and probably come away feeling as though you have fulfilled a “you must”. Whatever it is, you will enjoy the visit because (despite the masses of souvenir opportunities) it feels like a classy operation and not a case of “flogging The King”. The managers of the estate have done a great job at preserving some of Elvis’s legacy and also presenting his story in an interesting way without it denigrating into a money making exercise of selling as much tat as possible. A big well done for that – please do go and enjoy. Any questions feel free to drop me a message.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank DavidLF
Reviewed December 4, 2018

This was our second trip to Graceland, as we took my mother-in-law to the #1 place on her bucket list, being the huge Elvis fan. The first time we visited was in 2009, and Elvis' Memphis (as they call the exhibit and shop area) was knocked down and rebuilt in 2017. It's much more spacious now, with the exhibit areas larger than before. But I would suggest planting more trees and shrubbery, as it seems like it's just concrete building after concrete building. The other side of the road, where the Mansion is, is very nice though, with a nice lawn and many large trees.

We purchased the Elvis Entourage Tour tickets, which included a VIP shuttle to the mansion, another VIP exhibit, and a keepsake backstage pass. A month before, we purchased the Elvis Insider membership for $22, which gives you 10% off tickets. In our case, it saved us around $38 total off of four tickets. So the membership was worth the price. It also gives you discounts on stays at The Guest House at Graceland, and 10% off merchandise purchases, as well as other discounts.

We purchased the Entourage tickets because we wanted as good an experience for my mother-in-law as possible. We went during what it seemed like off-peak (early November) so there were no lines to purchase tickets, no lines to board the shuttle, anywhere. Even walking through the mansion we weren't rushed because there weren't too busy. I had come previously during the summer and there were lines everywhere. So if you're visiting at an off-peak time, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $37.50 per ticket.

The visit to the Mansion was nice. Since there weren't many visitors, we could take our time looking at all the rooms and memorabilia. The audio guide and iPad was new since the first time I visited and helped as we moved through the property. The exhibits at Elvis' Memphis were nicely laid out and we spent much time looking at the automobiles and other exhibits through the property. We also spent a bunch of time at all of the shops.

For those saying that tickets are expensive at $100/each, the cheapest ticket that gives you access to just the mansion is around $40, and $59 if you want to include Elvis' Memphis. Add $5 to each ticket if you want to view the airplanes, which we didn't. I'm not sure how much parking costs, as we took a shuttle from The Guest House, where we were staying.

All in all, a great visit that we all enjoyed, especially my mother-in-law, who didn't want to leave.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank DisneyDave808
Reviewed December 4, 2018 via mobile

I went here only because if you’re in Memphis, you have to go. I was born long after Elvis died so I have no attachment to him but I can appreciate the contribution he made to music and history in general. But beware, this is a business...a money making business and you are just one of MANY they shuttle through each day...hour...minute. If you’re not a big Elvis fan (like me), just do the basic tour. If you’re anything more, then consider paying more for more access. The basic gets you into Graceland with a audio tour on an iPad and headphones - other reviews talked about the inconsistent quality of the audio and it’s true - it’s not great. There are so many people shuttled through the house that I felt rushed. After the house you are shuttled back to the ticket area and forced (staff yelled at me when I tried to just go straight to the guest shop area...towards the exit) to go into another area to view his military memorabilia (which is actually interesting) then to see all his toys (golf carts, etc.) and then his cars (soooo many!). Other reviews I read talked about how rude the staff are...and it’s true!! They hate their jobs. And they definitely put a damper on your experience. It’s too bad.

Date of experience: December 2018