“Great place to visit!”

Graceland
Ranked #1 of 120 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 4, 2018

This was our second trip to Graceland, as we took my mother-in-law to the #1 place on her bucket list, being the huge Elvis fan. The first time we visited was in 2009, and Elvis' Memphis (as they call the exhibit and shop area) was knocked down and rebuilt in 2017. It's much more spacious now, with the exhibit areas larger than before. But I would suggest planting more trees and shrubbery, as it seems like it's just concrete building after concrete building. The other side of the road, where the Mansion is, is very nice though, with a nice lawn and many large trees.

We purchased the Elvis Entourage Tour tickets, which included a VIP shuttle to the mansion, another VIP exhibit, and a keepsake backstage pass. A month before, we purchased the Elvis Insider membership for $22, which gives you 10% off tickets. In our case, it saved us around $38 total off of four tickets. So the membership was worth the price. It also gives you discounts on stays at The Guest House at Graceland, and 10% off merchandise purchases, as well as other discounts.

We purchased the Entourage tickets because we wanted as good an experience for my mother-in-law as possible. We went during what it seemed like off-peak (early November) so there were no lines to purchase tickets, no lines to board the shuttle, anywhere. Even walking through the mansion we weren't rushed because there weren't too busy. I had come previously during the summer and there were lines everywhere. So if you're visiting at an off-peak time, I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $37.50 per ticket.

The visit to the Mansion was nice. Since there weren't many visitors, we could take our time looking at all the rooms and memorabilia. The audio guide and iPad was new since the first time I visited and helped as we moved through the property. The exhibits at Elvis' Memphis were nicely laid out and we spent much time looking at the automobiles and other exhibits through the property. We also spent a bunch of time at all of the shops.

For those saying that tickets are expensive at $100/each, the cheapest ticket that gives you access to just the mansion is around $40, and $59 if you want to include Elvis' Memphis. Add $5 to each ticket if you want to view the airplanes, which we didn't. I'm not sure how much parking costs, as we took a shuttle from The Guest House, where we were staying.

All in all, a great visit that we all enjoyed, especially my mother-in-law, who didn't want to leave.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank DisneyDave808
Write a ReviewReviews (16,854)
All reviews
in 580 reviews
"own pace"
in 674 reviews

Reviewed December 4, 2018 via mobile

I went here only because if you’re in Memphis, you have to go. I was born long after Elvis died so I have no attachment to him but I can appreciate the contribution he made to music and history in general. But beware, this is a business...a money making business and you are just one of MANY they shuttle through each day...hour...minute. If you’re not a big Elvis fan (like me), just do the basic tour. If you’re anything more, then consider paying more for more access. The basic gets you into Graceland with a audio tour on an iPad and headphones - other reviews talked about the inconsistent quality of the audio and it’s true - it’s not great. There are so many people shuttled through the house that I felt rushed. After the house you are shuttled back to the ticket area and forced (staff yelled at me when I tried to just go straight to the guest shop area...towards the exit) to go into another area to view his military memorabilia (which is actually interesting) then to see all his toys (golf carts, etc.) and then his cars (soooo many!). Other reviews I read talked about how rude the staff are...and it’s true!! They hate their jobs. And they definitely put a damper on your experience. It’s too bad.

1  Thank 327janef
Reviewed December 4, 2018

We LOVE this place. Been twice and going again this year! If you have a chance, then go! I recommend buying the VIP ticket. You pass all the long lines and you get to go back in as many times as you want for that day.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed December 3, 2018 via mobile

I was born a month after Elvis died but I would watch his movies and watched documentaries when I was younger. I had thought it would be cool to see Graceland at some point of my life and the first weekend in December I went.
First get the Ultimate VIP Pass it just is worth the money in my opinion...meal voucher; skip lines; see VIP items; VIP lounge, etc...

We did the 10:15 am tour and still didn’t get through everything we wanted to without it being rushed but it depends on what all you want to see. We ended up buying the extended day ticket. (Just wished it was a little more discounted or included for the Ultimate VIP ticket holders since we mainly were going back to shop at the multiple gift shops and see a few things we didn’t get a chance to the day before)

Highly recommend the earliest tour times you can get. Our tour guide Kim C was so sweet and she did a wonderful job and I loved how she actually got Elvis’s autograph when she was 9. She was accommodating and patient so we could take our pictures.

Roger and Barbara who were managing the VIP and Ultimate VIP lounge on Sunday were the nicest and so amazing in helping us out.

We did have people in our group who were from the Netherlands and their English wasn’t 100% so if you need another language definitely do the audio tablet self guided tour too and with the Ultimate VIP pass you could go back through Graceland and do the tour again with the tablet. That is what that family did.

Another plus with the VIP ticket was you could go back over to the house and be able to take more pictures or see something you wanted to spend more time on.

We ate at both Vernons’s BBQ and Glady’s Dinner. Both were good now granted there probably are better BBQ places in Memphis but when you are on the Graceland complex all day it’s great to have great food available. At Glady’s Dinner, I had to try the Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich. They made half in butter and the other half in bacon grease. I think if they truly made it in a cast iron skillet like Elvis had his made it would have tasted better in the “bacon grease” so I would recommend if you want to try it to stick with the butter!

Overall had a fun time and won’t be disappointed whether you admire Elvis to huge Elvis fanatic!

To Graceland management you should be proud of your staff at least on Dec 1st and 2nd of 2018 between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm on Saturday and 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm on Sunday the people we encountered for questions; help; or a little chit chatting were just fantastic and always greeted you with a smile and I am sure some of them might have been having a bad day or tired but you wouldn’t have noticed it. Pure Southern Hospitality!

1  Thank Beaches1785