“Worth your time”

Elvis Presley's Graceland Self-Guided Tour With Transportation
Ranked #3 of 154 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Stillwater, Oklahoma
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Worth your time”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I'll start by saying that Im not a big Elvis fan, nor did I know much about his life.. We went to Memphis with another couple and decided to tour Graceland.. Not real sure what I was expecting, but the Graceland tour far exceeded my expectations.. The tour was self paced, and very informative.. I think anyone doing this tour would find facts & stories that were interesting to them.. It is well worth your time.. I think we spent around 2 hours start to finish.. They have food on site (not great), but was decent for the price..

Visited April 2013

• Turkish first
Opelika, Alabama
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“I Waited My Whole Life For This?”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

In another lifetime, your friendly reviewer Mr. Flex Musclechest hosted a semi-popular radio hour called Sounds of the King. To say I'm an Elvis guy would be like saying Kim and Kanye are a nice young couple.

But this was sad. Lisa Marie needs to pick up the pace. It's really obvious that some of the more basic maintenance is being neglected here.

I think the best part of this excursion was after the place shut down for the night (5 o'clock, really?) and the tour buses pulled away. It was only then, in the failing light of day that one could really picture the place as Elvis saw it, peeking through his tinfoil-covered windows.
In my mind's eye I could see him sneaking out onto the deserted roadway on a lonely Harley trike. . .Save your money, buy a good coffee table book, and appreciate Graceland from the sidewalk.

Visited March 2013
Lake Jackson, Texas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Well Planned Tour Exceeded Our Expectations”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

It was unusually cold in Memphis for a late January, but the 30 degree weather did not slow down the Graceland staff one bit. The historical site is very easy to find in south Memphis and is about 3 miles or so west of the airport. The estate owns property on both sides of the street. You park for free in a big parking lot across the street from Graceland and walk up to the ticket lobby.

The tickets were $34.00 for a tour of the mansion only, and $37.00 for the Platinum Tour which let you see several very worthwhile exhibits including the Car Museum and the Lisa Marie airplane. The value is a no brainer.....you will really miss out if you do not upgrade to the Platinum Tour. You will find $3.00 off each Platinum ticket coupons in some hotel lobbies.....we found one and lots of people had them.

After you buy your tickets, you are given a tour number. Out front, there are markers to form a line for the several buses that shuttle you across the street to the mansion. There is a sign which shows which tour is allowed to board the bus. The shuttle bus carries about 30 people. If you buy the VIP ticket for around $72, you will get your own shuttle with no waiting (and a couple of exclusive exhibits). You get your picture taken by a staff member before you get on the bus. When you get back, the package is $25.00 if you want the photo......not the best value.

You will get an audio tour device with headphones. It was not the easiest device to use, but lots of signs helped if you got "lost" in the audio presentation. The Graceland folks let you take pictures, but no flashes in the buildings and no audio recording.....which almost necessarily means no video. For those who pay little attention to those instructions, there was no one around to enforce that request. We only took pictures.

We regretted one thing........getting there early. Our controversial tip that we have is to not show up right at 10:00 a.m., the winter hours opening (4:00 p.m. closing). There were two school buses of middle schoolers waiting for the doors to open. With a full tour, you are really packed in and it is not possible to linger or focus on detail. So with a group, you sort of get pushed along so you are not monopolizing a prime spot. The kids only toured the mansion and left, so the rest of us were all able to spread out and take our time. Also, they did invite us to go back through any area we had already been.

After the school kids cleared out, there were maybe a couple of hundred customers on the grounds and we were really able to savor the exhibits. I hear in the summer it is busy all the time, but on winter weekdays I would show up at 11:00 a.m. or so and you should have lots of elbow room.

You will see in the exhibits not just all things Elvis, but the restlessness of the youth in the era, the different technology, the rise of TV, the business of marketing Elvis.......many fascinating displays. When you shuttle back, you hit the car museum, gift shops and other exhibits. To see the wonderful '68 Special exhibit and the too dark Blue Hawaii exhibit, you need to walk about two blocks north into a little shopping strip.

The '68 Special showed how important that television show was to Elvis' career......and how insecure he was about his performance. The exhibits are laid out well and really bring Elvis to life for a few wonderful hours. We spent just over four hours there. We could see how some folks could spend the entire day or even two days at Graceland. We want to go back so we can take some of our older relatives who will love it.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank TexasLover
West Lawn, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Audio tour makes this excellent”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have to say that the ticket sellers were less than helpful and were not enthused. I was the 2nd car in the parking lot on a very cold (28 degrees!) winter day, so it's not like they were overwhelmed... Anyway, make sure you ask for a AAA discount (and others, if applicable). There is a charge to park, and a charge based on what you want to see.

Certain staff members aside, I found Graceland to be very interesting. I took the Platinum tour which included the mansion and all of the other attractions on the plaza (automobile museum, "Sincerely Elvis" highlighting his Vegas shows, his custom jets (the "Lisa Marie" and the "Hound Dog II"), and some other exhibits. Upon exiting an exhibit, you end up in a gift shop. Lots and lots of gift shops - but you should at least take a quick gander in each one as it seemed there were some unique things in each (and a lot of the same stuff too...). The audio tour (via headset - available in multiple languages) really made the mansion tour interesting. I was expecting the mansion to be MUCH MUCH bigger. There is some CRAZY interior decorations - a lot of gawdy stuff - but fitting for the time. The tour includes the main house, an out building, an entertainment room with racquet ball court (that now holds a jaw-dropping display of jumpsuit costumes and awards and gold records and etc.). You then continue to the meditation garden and the graves. Buried here are Elvis, his stillborn twin brother, his parents and his grandmother.

The mansion tour is probably about an hour long - you can take as long as you want as there are always shuttle buses running. I spent about another 2 hours walking the plaza and going in the other exhibits and gift shops, plus I stopped for a bite to eat -- fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, just like Elvis liked!

Even if you are not an Elvis fan or a huge Elvis fan, Graceland is something to see. You will learn more about the man, including that he was a great humanitarian. And the amount of awards and records sold is just astounding.

The mansion is not handicapped accessible as you go up and down stairs, but I think the other exhibits are.

Visited February 2014
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Thought I knew about Elvis but learned alot more”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Like most people said, the décor may be tacky but keep in mind the era this was. Liked the audio tour, it provided a lot of information so you could look at the exhibits without having to read so much about his life.

Visited February 2014

Been to Graceland? Share your experiences!