“It was better in my head”
Review of Graceland

Transportation with Elvis VIP Plus Graceland Admission
Ranked #3 of 161 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Like the title of my review says... I guess I was expecting things to be a bit nicer... like tile walkways instead of old musty carpet. The added public parts (like bathrooms, walkways, ticket office...) were a bit, meh...

The tour was okay - it was played on individual headphones. The exhibits were neat, I loved seeing all Elvis' costumes The staff was friendly enough - they were simply doing their jobs. But, this is the kind of place I'd rather see some super big fan that can answer all your questions and gush about Elvis.

I'm glad we went, but I probably won't visit again.

1  Thank TerraS123
Write a ReviewReviews (14,596)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Graceland is truly a time capsule from the 1970s. I love historical sites, especially old homes. This was much more modern and much less opulent than the homes I normally travel to tour, but I enjoyed it. It is extremely rare to find a home so perfectly frozen in time. Gaudy, yes, but very authentic. The two airplanes also provide a glimpse into the past. The cars in the automobile museum are gorgeous. Why don't cars look like that anymore?!?

There are also several exhibits showcasing Elvis memorabilia such as costumes, gold records, awards, documents, photos, videos, etc. Everything is covered... his childhood in Tupelo, MS, his generous charitable giving, his Vegas and Hawaii days and on and on. Warning: You may experience a bit of Elvis overload.

As with any popular tourist attraction, you will have to deal with crowds, standing in lines and gift shops galore. I definitely would not want to visit during one of the peak seasons, but at the time my husband and I visited, it was not too bad. They have a fairly decent system worked out.

Even if you are not an Elvis fan, this is cool to see. If you are a fan, you absolutely must visit.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'm not an anti-Elvis fan, but I wouldn't have walked across the street to see him perform. That being said, if you're tagging along with someone who would have crossed the street (ablaze with hot coals, trench spikes, poisonous snakes, etc), go with them. I enjoyed the house and grounds immensely and wish I could have spent more time there. It gives you a real feel for what their daily lives must have been like when at home. The airplane exhibit was also nice, as well as the cars. Some of the other exhibits were a drag. I thought the 68 and Hawaii experiences were a marketing ploy. It looked to me as though they gathered items from other displays and storage lockers to make new ones with an added price tag.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were blown away by every thing that Elvis accomplished. This tour was Great, gave us a greater appreciation for Elvis. Don't go to Memphis without Visiting Graceland.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were quite excited to go to Graceland. I love that Elvis kept he name that the former owner had given it. I was surprised that it wasn't a really huge opulent palace but more of a big comfy homey place. I was amused by his firing range, and I was amazed at the Memorial area that his Grandma lived to be older than Elvis or his parents.
The auto exhibit was great-how cool to talk a salesman out of a car that was meant for Frank Sinatra!!! The Tupelo exhibit was very well done. It was great to see all his outfits in the Las Vegas exhibit. The planes were also cool. we did not get to the 68 special or the Hawaii exhibit because our tour didn't give us enough time. There were several places to eat but we didn't have time for stuff we needed to see, let alone eat.
Overall, it was a great pilgrimage to the House of the King. Any Elvis fan should go.

Been to Graceland? Share your experiences!