“Learned tons about Elvis that we didn't know!”
Review of Graceland

Graceland
Ranked #1 of 163 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I like Elvis music and after this tour I sure appreciated all that he did for the music industry. The house is like stepping back in time. It is as it was in 1977 when he died and I sure remember many of the things in it being popular in the 70s. Loved the basement rooms. We also saw his cars and planes, learned about his hometown in Mississippi, and saw stuff on this 1968 comeback. There was tons to see. Allow about 4-5 hours if you want to see it all. By the end our group all had had enough of Elvis. At least for that day. Each part of the tour ends at a gift shop so if you like to shop you will have lots to see. Actually My thoughts are that there are way too many separate shops. A couple of larger ones would have been better. They would probably need less staff then too as each shop had a few people in them working and sometimes not very many shoppers.

The cars are wheelchair accessible but definitely not the house. Even a walker wouldn't work in the house. The stairs to the basement are narrow and some areas are small as it Elvis's house not a tourist attraction.

If you like Elvis then go go go!

Write a ReviewReviews (15,969)
All reviews
in 538 reviews
"own pace"
in 644 reviews

Reviewed November 27, 2012

No trip to Memphis is complete without a trip to the hallowed grounds of Graceland. While a trip through the house and grounds can take only 60-90 minutes, if you chose to read and listen to much of the history of the "King of Rock n Roll" plus view other exhibits across the street from Graceland as we did, it can take 4-5 hours, and that was on a Thursday. If you were even the slightest fan of Elvis, do yourself a favor and take it all in.

1  Thank JimNColleyville_TX
Reviewed November 26, 2012

There was only one Elvis. The fact that he bought this home at age 22 and lived there for 20 years (and died there) makes all that much more special.

I found it surprisingly tasteful and Disney quality crowd management. Each attraction had its own style and uniqueness.

The collection is truly vast - hundreds of artifacts, from jewelry to the Lisa Marie II.

Even the food was good. We had peanut butter and 'nana samiches.

1  Thank Lohnfg
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Loved this place - the house was humble and kept exactly as it had been left . I was delighted to see it was not full of trashy merchandise as I feared it may be.
Take the VIP tour as the additional video from Lisa Marie is heartfelt.
Disliked all the dozens of gift shops across the road which cheapened the experience so just do the house - the cars - the planes and go!

1  Thank laineysc
See more reviews
Reviewed November 25, 2012

In my travels across the United States, I was with a former girlfriend when we were making the decision to visit Graceland. Her mother being a serious Elvis fan and I not of that same generation could have cared less. However, my attitude about Graceland would definitely change.

Being able to visit all four attractions (the mansion, plus three museums) and finding ourselves running to make that last tour of the mansion of the day, it was a bit stressed. Thankfully, the driver saw us in a panic and waited before transporting the last of the tourists across the street to the mansion.

I was in awe of what I had seen. I started to become more and more interested about the place and the history of music, but not so much about the man.

However, I was highly disappointed that I was unable to enter into the lower levels of the mansion. Where the more well-known and popular rooms are (Jungle Room, etc.) Unfortunately, not all of the mansion and its grounds are wheelchair accessible.

Graceland is definitely a day trip. At the very least one can spend the entire afternoon. Because we had paid for all four attractions, all of the attractions stayed open at the end of the day until we had passed through and left each attraction.

You can either buy tickets for one or more or all attractions. But keep in mind, the "traps" are at the end of each attraction with the Graceland gift shops.

As a once in a lifetime experience of 2008, it was an attraction that I was not really thrilled with, but when I left... I was in complete awe.

It is definitely a national landmark of the country. One should not pass it up, if at all possible.

Been to Graceland? Share your experiences!