“I am because they did...”

National Civil Rights Museum - Lorraine Motel
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Memphis Heritage Attraction Pass
Ranked #2 of 161 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: At the place of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'S death in 1968 in Memphis, TN, the National Civil Rights Museum is a renowned educational and cultural institution. The Museum chronicles the American Civil Rights Movement with compelling presentations of iconic exhibits, oral histories of lesser-known civil rights foot soldiers, and visceral, in-the-moment experiences. Visitors will learn through emotionally charged, multi-user, multi-touch interactives, and a visually engaging, contemporary exhibit design that guides you through five centuries of history. Bring the whole family.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Lord give me the strength... I thought the civil rights museum in Detroit, Michigan was amazing, and I thought the civil rights tour of the church was phenomenal.... but whewwwww this one made me speechless...it brought me to my knees and a tear rolled down my ever thankful cheek. The world is not perfect nor will it ever will be but THANK YOU to all the women and men that made the sacrifice for me to have a better life by eating where I want, sitting where I want in any venue, and attending any school I so desire. I am because they did...you won't regret your visit!

2  Thank Emma L
Write a ReviewReviews (6,726)
All reviews
in 175 reviews
"slave trade"
in 106 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a long wait to get into the museum but it was worth it. You buy your ticket, queue and then go through to a small display area before going into a cinema to watch a very interesting scene setting film. We were there on a Saturday, so that's probably why the queue was so long.

The fight to gain the rights most people take for granted is awe inspiring. The museum presents the information in varied ways, all very interesting.

Go visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Before merely entering, just seeing the exterior of the Lorraine Motel, with a wreath hanging at the 2nd-floor rail point of the balcony where Dr King was killed, is shocking. It is truly breathtaking in a negative way. The first time we visited the museum (2 years ago), I felt too emotional to go inside. This time, we went in and are glad to have done so. The research involved in making this museum worthwhile is palpable. Great and effective effort has been made to present exhibits that are informative, that involve visitors in feeling almost as if they are personally experiencing the injustice, exhibits are life-sized and interactive. One exhibit, with life-sized sculpted men, allows visitors to see how tightly packed slaves were during the 3-month middle passage. An exhibit on Jim Crow eerily underlights a KKK uniform that is displayed at a high point in the room as if overseeing the visitors---frightening! Visitors can walk through an actual 1950's bus with a model of Rosa Parks seated inside, hear famous speeches, see actual artifacts of the trial and conspiracy, and more. While visiting, it is also inspirational to see visitors of all races and ethnicities who come to learn about this blemish on US history.

1  Thank kimcamChicago_IL
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I think of myself as informed, but there was so much to learn. Exhibits were beautifully presented and so informative.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We drove here from our family reunion in Chattanooga and let me start by saying that the museum is well worth the 5 1/2 hour drive!
We were expecting to stay in the museum for a few hours; however, it was so amazing, so informative, and so well done we stayed for over six hours!
I can't find the words to describe the awesomeness of this museum, the depth, breath and wealth of information presented and what great length the curators went to share not only the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. but also's the history of African-Americans starting with pre-slavery up until today.
Again, the museum is absolutely, positively amazing...a moving, thought provoking, and emotional experience! I'm So glad I had an opportunity to experience it and encourage anyone regardless of race or culture to explore this rich gem.