“Great value in downtown Memphis”

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #10 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
NOLA
“Great value in downtown Memphis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2006

We booked a room at the Comfort Inn Downtown mainly based on tripadvisor.com reviews, and were not disappointed (or surprised, which is just as handy). Our stay was five nights.

This hotel is an incredible bargain, so anything that could be perceived as criticism below is meant more as a disclaimer.

For $125/night (including all taxes and fees), we got a large, river view room (we joked that we could see the Peabody from the window, but were paying a good deal less!), recently redecorated, with plenty of space for two adults and two kids, including an open, closet-sized space big enough to fit all our luggage plus a crib for our son. It was advertised as non-smoking and smelled fresh (not like air freshener).

The carpet was dirty; my feet were black after walking on it, but that's just a matter of letting housekeeping know--due to the pattern, it was impossible to tell otherwise.

The full-sized bed was a bit snug for me and my husband, and had a pronounced slope toward the middle. However, the pillows were divine--better than the one I brought from home!

The housekeeping staff were all lovely, making sure to bring us everything we needed before we had a chance to ask. The front desk staff were great as well. Matter of fact, every hotel employee greeted us pleasantly, even if just passing in the hallway.

The continental breakfast buffet was satisfying, with enough choices (bagels, cereal, do-it-yourself waffles, etc.) to make it interesting. To those who say the food runs out, the only time we noticed that was the morning we didn't make it down until 1/2-hour before the buffet was scheduled to be over. Otherwise the food (free, mind you) was replenished regularly.

Parking is a bargain, only $5/day downtown!

Other reviews here reference the isolation of this hotel at night, with which I agree. However, most of downtown Memphis was a bit lonely after dark. Main Street, so jumping during the day, was absolutely dead after dark, disturbingly so. We cut over to Front Street (where the hotel is located) as soon as possible when walking. At least there, the car traffic gave us the illusion of safety!

The hotel is within walking distance of many downtown attractions and the Main Street trolley, which will bring you to many more attractions.

It is a perfect base for exploring downtown Memphis and beyond. That's the main thing: it's plush enough to feel a touch luxurious, but the price is definitely utilitarian, and in the end it's a good place to rest at the end of a long day's sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank NolaAmy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

I would say that I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn, but we were going for something a little less expensive this time around. We were on the 11th fl and had a dbl room with a partial view of the river. The rooms were nice size and there was plenty of room to put a rollaway if needed. I realy liked the way the vanity/sink is seperate from the shower/toilet. The free breakfast was ok as well- the kids got down there on Sunday morning around 9:15 and didn't have much of a selection. You can walk across the street and chill in the park and watch the river. You can catch the trolly about a block away. Remember- the trolly does stop running at 1AM.

7 Thank freakae
Hampshire. U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2006

As other reviewers have said, top floors are being renovated so better to get one of those where you'll have new furnishings and if you request a river view you won't regret it, great views of river and bridge into Arkansas, looks great night and day. Trolly stop right outside too so you can go along riverfront and get off near to Beale street or it's about a 10 / 15 minute (relaxed) walk. The breakfast was ok but a little odd, and the receptionists were a little bit grumpy but I would stay there again, a great spot.

10 Thank greenapple74
Cocoa Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2006

This hotel is from an older generation of accomodations in Memphis. Yet at this time it is in the process of a modern renewal. The top floor is the best and facing the river. VERY CLEAN rooms. Comfortable beds and updated facilities. The front desk staff was very courteous and professional. A continental breakfast is served and covered, secured parking as well. This hotel is within walking distance to the famous "Beale St." and other attractions of interest. Blues City Cafe is the best place for ribs, on Beale St.

8 Thank sea4metoo
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2006

my wife and I have stayed in this hotel several times over the last few years and find it great value. The staff have always been excellent and helpful. Location is great (Ten minute walk to beale street)and easy for driving to and from. We will be staying here next year again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank shcol
portland.Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2006

This was my first time to Memphis and didn't know what to exspect. Thanks to the lastes reviews on the Comfort Inn we gave it a try. I got to say this I think was the best location we had a rental car and we were able to get around downtown perfectly. I don't think I would have wanted to stay near Beale st. the Comfort Inn was close enough. We had breakfast every morning for the continental that they prepare every morning and we would just bring it up to our room, even though you had to get up early 6-9am to catch it, we saved alot of money.Our room was always made up when we return and our view was great. I would ask for the top floor faceing the river(the mississippi) it's really neat to look out onto everymonrning and pretty to look at nite the bridge is lite at nite. We were in memphis for 3 nites and we did pleanty. Definitly go to Graceland, sunstudios, the civil rights museum, beale st,. eat at Corkys, Hueys, be at the Peabody hotel by 5pm to see the duck march. We even had time to drive to Arkansas to see the Presinden Clinton Center, it about a 2hr drive. It was neat and also the capital and the Goveners Masion while we were in little rock. If you like to gamble we also drove down to mississippi to a casino town just about 20miles out of memphis that was fun I got my vegas fix, I recommond the buffet at the Horse Shoe is was so good all the southern food you can imagine. I'm 30 years old and I would recommend this trip to the young and old.Please email with any question!! I will never forget this trip. I could go on and on.

10 Thank Elvisgirl
TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2005

We stayed here Saturday, Dec 17. I chose it based off positive reviews. Good: convenient location downtown, easy to find, very nice room, inexpensive, QS bed, frige/microwave, nice-sized bathroom, quiet, helpful front desk staff. Bad: hubby took a shower before we left for dinner reservations around 4pm. When we got back to room around 1am, the water still hadn't drained out. We couldn't take a shower the following morning before checkout because water never drained out of the tub. However, I will say that the front desk staff apologized and made up for it. I'd recommend this hotel to anyway staying in Memphis that wants a convenient, comfortable and clean location downtown.

• Stayed December 2005