“One of the Best Hotels I've Ever Stayed In” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Downtown

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #10 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Lafayette, Louisiana
“One of the Best Hotels I've Ever Stayed In”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

What I liked:
1. The staff was friendly.
2. The room was clean and a flat-screen TV with a lot of channels. I just wish they had Versus so I could have watched the NHL playoffs.
3. The hotel was well maintained in spite of it being an older building.
4. The parking charge was reasonable. Eight dollars a day for downtown anywhere is not bad.
5. That was the best continental breakfast I've ever had in terms of the selection of items available. I addition to the standard continental breakfast items, they had biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, and waffles. All for the unbeatable price of $0.
6. The hotel is well situated. Beale St., Union Ave., and the FedEx Forum are within walking distance.

What I didn't like:
Seriously, nothing. The comment about Versus is the most negative thing I can say.

I've stayed in quite a few hotels before, and with the exception of Disney resorts, which I place in a class by themselves, I would say that this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in in terms of overall experience.

Room Tip: The larger room with the river view is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank JazzSinger8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Sevierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I had never stayed in Memphis and this was a great 1st experience! It was strange because the friendliest person we ran across was our housekeeper! we were only there for one night, but everytime she was cleaning and we walked out she was always asking "How is your stay, you all need anything" I believe her name was vivian. They also had a GREAT continental brekfast lots of choices, healthy ones too. All in all a great stay!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank red1407
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

The hotel is old, but meticulously maintained, Very clean. Had a great stay. Easy walk to Beale Street in the daylight---don't know if I'd walk it after dark. The best thing was the staff! From check-in, to check out, every single person we encountered was cheerful helpful, friendly. Excellent, excellent. Hotel manager-- give those people a raise!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L222j222
Yigo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed one night. We had a very large room for the price we paid. We had a king bed, microwave, refrigerator and a new, flat screen TV. We were really impressed with the cleanliness and convience of the room. It was a little noisy, when people came in later. They had obviously been partying and forgot to be considerate of other hotel residents. We were leaving from Memphis for a three day trip and were allowed to park our car at the hotel for a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank majorr
Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

Clean, friendly standard hotel within walking distance of major attractions. Our room had a good view of the Mississippi and peeking into the room next door, it was even roomier and a better view, on the corner. Breakfast a bit ghastly (frankfurter on a stick?) but good range and possible to get healthy options including fruit. Front desk very helpful, 24 hour coffee. Good value compared to others locally.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LuckyMermaid
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

I would have never booked this hotel blind but I got a personal recommendation. I am so glad that I did. This hotel was great! Clean, big rooms, walking distance to downtown without downtown prices, and the "continental" breakfast was a hot full buffet breakfast every morning. For this to be included in the price we paid was so awesome. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the downtown Memphis area but doesn't have the cash for a better "name" hotel (Westin, Peabody etc...these places were well over 200 night and we paid half that).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GuelphGal90210
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

We booked this hotel based on convenience and price and in part based on reviews on this site. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was nicer than we expected. Our room was huge (a corner room) with a view of the river. The breakfast, while standard, was fully stocked and actively replenished by the staff. The parking garage is small but manageable. While we never felt at risk, we did appreciate the presence of the security guards in the garage. One negative (but it may come with being an urban hotel) is that it is noisy. During the night, we heard trains and during the day the roads sounds are ever present. Not awful, just a part of the experience/ambient sound. Overall, a great place to spend the night in Memphis.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business