“Great place to stay!”

Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East
Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I couldn't come up with one negative comment about this hotel if I tried. My family and I
stayed here over the Christmas Holidays and have decided that this will be our new place
to stay when we come to visit family in Memphis. The room was very clean, the beds were
extremely comfortable , the bathroom was clean and had plenty of space and everyone
we encountered who worked there was friendly, helpful and gracious. (Damon was at the front
desk during part of our stay and was really friendly!) It is located in a nice part of town
and close to plenty of stores and restaurants. I'm hoping that all of our
future stays with this hotel will be as nice as this one was.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kruleman
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

What nice comments about your stay. We all sincerely appreciate the kind words and compliments. I will be happy to pass this along to all of our team. I hope you will join us whenever you are back in Memphis. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Remember Holiday Inns promise to let them fix it or it's free. And they did!! Upon entering room, went to bathroom. It had a horrible mildewed smell. I had to search to see what it was but didn't take long. Shower curtain was nasty. However, housekeeper in hallway went to get me a new one. Supervisor brought it and offered to put it up. Room was excellent after that. Slept well, even pregnant daughter on sofa bed. Breakfast was well set and replenished. Nice variety except the rubber omelettes...I have seen those at several other brands that choose that same omelette. They just don't work on a buffet! Staff was friendly at check in...new clerk but manager assisted. Breakfast and housekeeping staff friendly as well. Buisness center was great. Will stay again when in the area!

Room Tip: Didn't use Room service....don't think there is any in extended stay hotels. Nor did we have...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

I apologize for the problem you had when you arrived, but, I am happy that we were able to resolve it to your satisfaction and as quickly as we did. I am glad the rest of your stay was comfortable and pleasant. Our omelettes! These are what Intercontinental Hotels Group has determined that we need to serve. I know they sometimes appear somewhat rubbery. Unfortunately, this is the brand standard. I will be more than happy to pass your concerns on to our brand team in Atlanta so that they can have a better understanding of our guests needs. Thank you so much for your comments. I look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to Memphis. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Desk clerk who checked me in was rude and unfriendly. That pretty much ruined the experience from the beginning. Rooms was ok but definately needed updating. The meal they served on the Wednesday night I was there was gone at 6:45, when I was told the event ended at 7:30. At least have enough food to last until it ends! However, Jonathan checked me out the next day and he was great. They need more staff member like him.

Room Tip: Ask for Jonathan.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Johnny J
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

I am so sorry you had such a disappointing experience with your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention and will certainly look into them. If you wouldn't mind sending me the dates of your stay and your name or room number I will find out who the clerk was that checked you in and they will be dealt with accordingly. Please call me @ 901-682-1722 or email me @ sbsmemphis@generationcompanies.com. Yes, Jonathan is truly an associate to be proud of. He always does a superb job with everything he attempts. Again, I am sincerely sorry your stay was not up to your expectations, as it was certainly not up to my expectations. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you when you come back to Memphis. If there is anything I can do to help you please feel free to call. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The staff is always great when I stay and I have never had a problem. However this stay, a dirty bathroom greeted me. The shower stall was terrible and there was a towel on the floor behind the toilet. Not a good look!

• Stayed: December 2012
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to give us your review. I regret the problem you had in your bathroom. I had already received your email and have taken care of this issue. Again, as I mentioned in my email back to you, this was quite an embarassing situation and we have taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. As you mentioned in your email to me, you have stayed with us on several occassions and this is the first time this has occured. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity and stay with us again. Again, thank you for reviewing your stay with us. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went to Memphis for my Grandma's birthday. The room had a living room kitchen and bedroom (2 Queen beds). The room was clean, except for the mat in the bathtub which was pealing. Breakfast each morning was good as well. I liked the location as it was only about 20 minutes downtown without having to deal with all the noise. I can't remember hearing anything outside of the room the whole trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Memphis. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you had a good visit with your grandma. I appreciate you bringing the mat to my attention. We will certainly get this taken care of immediately. Please come visit us again on your next trip to our city. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Reviewed December 3, 2012

The receptionist upon check-in was very nice; the hotel is quiet and comfortable. The kitchen had the necessary supplies, including paper towels and dishwashing liquid. The $75 fee for my pug was almost the room rate, and it took me by surprise. Do read the applicable fees if you are with a pet (you may have to go to their website for the details). I would have taken that amount into consideration when booking. I was not informed about the $75 fee when I reserved by telephone, just about three hours before arriving. The evening receptionist reduced the fee somewhat when I checked in because of the situation.

The layout of the roads around the interstate and the hotel location can make finding the hotel challenging. Be sure to note them carefully if not using a GPS.

There is a Benihana restaurant right next door, and a large shopping center with Target, restaurants, etc. just on the other side of Poplar Ave.

I did not have the breakfast, but again, the fabulous evening receptionist gave me some milk from the kitchen when I asked after checking into the hotel.

Poplar Avenue takes you down to the Brooks Museum and other attractions in that neighborhood. Very convenient. Parking is ample, and my suite, a designated pet suite, was right by one of the exterior doors.

Despite the $75 fee for my pet, I will be staying there again in a few days.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the pet fee. You should have been informed when you made your reservation. We require our rooms to have a thorough deep-cleaning whenever a pet has been in the room due to other guests with a variety of alergies. Due to the extra time, effort and supplies needed to clean upholstry, carpets, etc. we must charge the additional fee. I hope you understand. I am a pet owner also, and love to travel with our dachsunds. This is just one of the inconveniences we've learned to live with. I'm glad you will be returning for another visit; we'll see you in a few days. Thank you for your review. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a well run, comfortable hotel in the Memphis area. The suite worked well and was comfortable, notably the bed in which I slept very well. A minor plumbing problem in the suite which could have gone unattended was fixed promptly on report. Breakfast was generous and generally good, although I would have liked a meusli/granola option amongst the cereals and plain (not sweetened and flavoured) yogurt. The coffee was also weaker than I would have preferred. These are minor quibbles, however, and boil down to matters of taste on the part of an Australian tourist.

My reservations include that the hotel is located 19 miles from Memphis downtown. I was unaware of this when I booked and the hotel cannot be blamed for that, however others contemplating this hotel need to factor that point in. The excellent free shuttle service took me to good local restaurants on a couple of nights.

A disappointment was the hotel's inability to change some $US100 bills I has been given by my Australian bank and which merchants in Memphis were not happy to accept. In Australia most hotels would change currency readily.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for taking you time to review your stay with us. We have many Australian visitors and we welcome all feedback we get in order to better serve your needs. I regret that your stay wasn't what you were anticipating regarding our location. Most of the websites that list our hotel have the distances to attractions and the downtown area clearly noted. We are quite a distance from the downtown area, but, we will gladly arrange for transportation when requested. For liability issues we must restrict our courtesy shuttle to within a five mile radius of the hotel. As with most hotels in Memphis, we do make change for large bills whenever it is possible, however, due to the small amount of cash kept on hand, we are limited as to the number of exchanges we can make. I do apologize for the inconvenience this caused. It was a pleasure serving you, and we hope that you would consider us again if the circumstances for your visit are different. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager