“Great staff but housekeeping needs an upgrade.”

Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East
Ranked #2 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great staff but housekeeping needs an upgrade.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

The staff is always great when I stay and I have never had a problem. However this stay, a dirty bathroom greeted me. The shower stall was terrible and there was a towel on the floor behind the toilet. Not a good look!

• Stayed December 2012
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to give us your review. I regret the problem you had in your bathroom. I had already received your email and have taken care of this issue. Again, as I mentioned in my email back to you, this was quite an embarassing situation and we have taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. As you mentioned in your email to me, you have stayed with us on several occassions and this is the first time this has occured. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity and stay with us again. Again, thank you for reviewing your stay with us. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

We went to Memphis for my Grandma's birthday. The room had a living room kitchen and bedroom (2 Queen beds). The room was clean, except for the mat in the bathtub which was pealing. Breakfast each morning was good as well. I liked the location as it was only about 20 minutes downtown without having to deal with all the noise. I can't remember hearing anything outside of the room the whole trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Memphis. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you had a good visit with your grandma. I appreciate you bringing the mat to my attention. We will certainly get this taken care of immediately. Please come visit us again on your next trip to our city. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The receptionist upon check-in was very nice; the hotel is quiet and comfortable. The kitchen had the necessary supplies, including paper towels and dishwashing liquid. The $75 fee for my pug was almost the room rate, and it took me by surprise. Do read the applicable fees if you are with a pet (you may have to go to their website for the details). I would have taken that amount into consideration when booking. I was not informed about the $75 fee when I reserved by telephone, just about three hours before arriving. The evening receptionist reduced the fee somewhat when I checked in because of the situation.

The layout of the roads around the interstate and the hotel location can make finding the hotel challenging. Be sure to note them carefully if not using a GPS.

There is a Benihana restaurant right next door, and a large shopping center with Target, restaurants, etc. just on the other side of Poplar Ave.

I did not have the breakfast, but again, the fabulous evening receptionist gave me some milk from the kitchen when I asked after checking into the hotel.

Poplar Avenue takes you down to the Brooks Museum and other attractions in that neighborhood. Very convenient. Parking is ample, and my suite, a designated pet suite, was right by one of the exterior doors.

Despite the $75 fee for my pet, I will be staying there again in a few days.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the pet fee. You should have been informed when you made your reservation. We require our rooms to have a thorough deep-cleaning whenever a pet has been in the room due to other guests with a variety of alergies. Due to the extra time, effort and supplies needed to clean upholstry, carpets, etc. we must charge the additional fee. I hope you understand. I am a pet owner also, and love to travel with our dachsunds. This is just one of the inconveniences we've learned to live with. I'm glad you will be returning for another visit; we'll see you in a few days. Thank you for your review. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a well run, comfortable hotel in the Memphis area. The suite worked well and was comfortable, notably the bed in which I slept very well. A minor plumbing problem in the suite which could have gone unattended was fixed promptly on report. Breakfast was generous and generally good, although I would have liked a meusli/granola option amongst the cereals and plain (not sweetened and flavoured) yogurt. The coffee was also weaker than I would have preferred. These are minor quibbles, however, and boil down to matters of taste on the part of an Australian tourist.

My reservations include that the hotel is located 19 miles from Memphis downtown. I was unaware of this when I booked and the hotel cannot be blamed for that, however others contemplating this hotel need to factor that point in. The excellent free shuttle service took me to good local restaurants on a couple of nights.

A disappointment was the hotel's inability to change some $US100 bills I has been given by my Australian bank and which merchants in Memphis were not happy to accept. In Australia most hotels would change currency readily.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking you time to review your stay with us. We have many Australian visitors and we welcome all feedback we get in order to better serve your needs. I regret that your stay wasn't what you were anticipating regarding our location. Most of the websites that list our hotel have the distances to attractions and the downtown area clearly noted. We are quite a distance from the downtown area, but, we will gladly arrange for transportation when requested. For liability issues we must restrict our courtesy shuttle to within a five mile radius of the hotel. As with most hotels in Memphis, we do make change for large bills whenever it is possible, however, due to the small amount of cash kept on hand, we are limited as to the number of exchanges we can make. I do apologize for the inconvenience this caused. It was a pleasure serving you, and we hope that you would consider us again if the circumstances for your visit are different. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We have always enjoyed the Staybridge brand, but this property was especially welcoming. The staff was attentive from the moment their front doors slid open. They greeted us and were very gracious, although under stress during a busy time made difficult because the computer system had just gone down. We were upgraded, and that was nice too.

The smells of places really affect me. I can smell smoke before most people, and my family tends to make fun of my "ability". This hotel reminded me of clean laundry. The bed was a little soft, but it felt great to my 1400+ mile back.

Staff recommendations for dinner, a suggestion for our puppy, and Memphis barbecue enticed us to stay another night. The property is convenient to excellent eateries, Graceland, and Shelby Farms. Shopping is a half mile away, and Benihana is next door. If you are planning a trip to Memphis, stay at the Staybridge.

Room Tip: It's a property with only one bank of elevators, so request your room accordingly if you have a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for the very gracious comments. It is such a pleasure to hear that your stay was made comfortable and welcoming by our team. Our goal is to make our guests feel as if they are part of our family. We hope you will come back to Memphis often and stay with us again. You and your puppy are welcome any time. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stay at this hotel in a king bedroom suite it was very clean plus it was nice to have a real bedroom I could watch tv in the bedroom and my husband have a tv in living room nice quiet area there are a lot of restaurants close by the staff was very nice they make you feel at home when we travel to memphis again we will stay at Staybridge I ask for a room on the fourth floor and I got it this hotel was great

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
It's great to hear that you were so pleased with your stay, and that you were willing to share your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure to have you with us and we will be looking forward to your next visit to our city. Thank you for taking your valuable time to write your review and tell us how we did. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Two night stay while traveling with two children, had a king bedroom suite. Kids loved having their own room in the living room to sleep, but sofa bed was terribly uncomfortable. Pillows for all were very soft, your head sinks to the mattress as the pillow puffs out around you.

Biggest issue is parking. There are only about 40 spots that are near the entries and seem secure. Had to park down behind the property in an unsafe area with a long walk to any entrance. I felt lucky my car was still there to be honest. It's a nice neighborhood but crime still happens and it never left my mind worrying about the car.

Breakfast was typical Staybridge fair but coffee was chronically in short supply even at the very beginning of breakfast hours.

• Stayed November 2012
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I sincerely appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. Sofa sleepers tend to be notoriously uncomfortable and I do apologize for that. We do use the standard pillow for a Staybridge Suies, but I will certainly express your concerns to the brand team to see if there is a solution we can use and still remain within their standards. As you know, we are located in a corporate center and parking has always been a premium. We do the best we can to accomodate all of our guests and we have made arrangements with the Benihana Restaurant directly behind the hotel to share their parking lot which is located within just steps of 3 rear entrances to the hotel. I understand your concerns, but, unfortunately, there really is no immediate fix we can perform for the lack of open land around the hotel. I have spoken to my Food and Beverage department regarding the lack of coffee. This, most certainly, is unacceptable and I can assure you it has been rectified. I do hope you will try us again on your next trip through our city. Thank you for taking your time to give us your thoughts on your stay. Best regards, Bob Cox, General Manager