“Nice rooms, but service could be better.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #108 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The rooms of the Econo Lodge are nice and look like they've been updated somewhere in the last 5 years or so.

Downside is the service and the noise. Half of the stuff for the breakfast was out at 8:30 and didn't get refilled. Also the tables didn't get cleaned during the time guests had breakfast.

The rooms are noisy, due to the location right next to a busy intersection. There is free WiFi in the hotel, but with very bad reception.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Niels80
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The room was okay. The pool is very small however they have one.
This particular visit there was a car wash of some sorts in the rear of the building. There were some questionable looking people hanging around. I felt safe once in my room, however when leaving to go find a place to eat, I felt I needed to hurry to my car. Urgh!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The smoke detector had been disconnected.
Refrigerator was broken.
Trash cans were filthy.
Manager refused to honor AARP discount.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This was the grossest place I have ever been. There was mouse feces on the dresser. One dresser was missing, the beds sagged horribly and when I pulled back the bedspread, that was the end. The blanket had stains and crusty white stuff all over it. Needless to say, we did not stay! This place should charge by the hour, not by the night!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank terrina66
A TripAdvisor Member
nashville tn.
Reviewed July 29, 2005

When we arrive they had given our 2 rms. away to someone else after booking them 6 weeks in advance, I guess you know we weren't having that, I got my rms. The room was full of ants, and smell molded. The sheets look as if they had been draged in the parking lot, as always you should do as I do, carry your own linen and towels please. The pool was filthy, and full of bugs but was later cleaned out. The keys wouldn't fit the outside entrance doors. One good thing is that the staff is friendly, as for anthing else, please don't go there because this is my first and last. We stayed out of the room as much as possible.,you would think they would do better, but notta"

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 25, 2004

I remember when in the late 80's/early 90's, the Ramada line was THE place to stay wherever you were. You could always count on a newer hotel and a clean, comfortable room. Sadly, such doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

This particular hotel was until recently a Hampton Inn, which is obvious from the outline of the Hampton Inn sign on the outside of the building under the hastily bolted-on Ramada sign; as well as from the Inspection Report on the elevator, which I might add expired in 2000.

I'm assuming that the more-respectable Marriott-owned Hampton Inn company noticed that their hotel was beginning to deteriorate and for whatever reason decided to sell it rather than remodel (it's not in the greatest of locations), so Ramada bought it, slapped on their sign and opened up for business, in a sad attempt to make as much as possible from what was left of Hampton Inn's investment. It is pretty obvious that Ramada has made no improvements to the property themselves, but simply tried to do as little as possible to maintain it.

On our visit this last weekend, apparently the air-conditioning in the lobby area was broken, and rather than repair it, they sat up a couple very large and very loud fans. (I literally had to yell at the front desk worker, "I'm here to check-in!!!") The hallway areas and elevators were gross. Stained carpet - food crumbs - gross. And the breakfast area? Words can't express it. Completely unsanitary.

When they cleaned our room on the second day, they only left two bath towels. No hand towels or wash cloths. When I called the front desk to inform them, the lady's response was, "You can come and get some." I trekked down to the lobby from the fifth floor then only to be informed they didn't have any, but I would be brought some the following morning. Didn't happen. Went back to the front desk. Was pointed in the general direction of housekeeping, which I finally found. Was informed there that there weren't any clean yet. Someone finally brought some up to my room about a half hour later, a half hour after I had planned to leave for the day.

Now, having said all these negative things, I must say this. The room itself was as clean as you could possibly hope for. No complaints there. And the pool was about the nicest hotel pool I've ever swam in. Whoever they have doing their pool maintenance really knows what he/she is doing. Was very clean but without the harsh, overpowering chlorine smell.

1  Thank stbass
A TripAdvisor Member
Rogers, Arkanas
Reviewed April 24, 2004

On a business trip, my husband and I decided to try Ramada one last time. I must emphasize LAST time. My husband checked in okay. But we misread the room number on our key so of course, it wouldn't work. Then it took us a long time to find anyone who worked there to help us.

Once we got into the room, we found no soap, one towel, no shampoo. The room was clean.

The continental breakfast was worth what we paid for it - nothing. There was one bagel left and one slice of bread left (at 7:00 a.m.) but not much else to eat. But there were no handles on the toaster so we couldn't get it to work. I got the last cup (almost) of coffee. We went to Burger King for breakfast.

Won't make that mistake again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member