“Good Value”

Sleep Inn at Court Square
Ranked #16 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. The hotel was clean and adjacent to the trolley line. It is also within walking distance to Beale St, riverboats, and all the other downtown attractions. The included breakfast is typical hotel food. The front dest was very helpful. The area seems to be rebuilding and is quiet. We traveled with two other couples and no complaints were voiced.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank jbsunlvr

Reviewed August 25, 2005

The Sleep Inn at Court Square is the perfect hotel to stay at while visiting Memphis. The best part is the location. This hotel is approximately 7 or so blocks from the famous Beale Street as well as many other bars and restaurants. It's perfect because it's not in the middle of the city where there is noise or any sort of conjestion, but close enough to walk home at night and not worry about driving or finding a cab. The trolley stop is right outside the hotel and can take you to many sites all over the city. The hotel was clean and staff were friendly. There is no need to spend a bundle of money on a luxury hotel room for a couple days; this one does the trick.

4  Thank CarrieC76
Reviewed August 7, 2005

The Sleep Inn chain fills a void of moderate priced rooms in good locations. The Court Square memphis location falls right in with this theme. The rooms are EXACTLY like other Sleep Inn's I've been in. Its more like a dorm room then a hotel room. No closet, no wardrobe. An open hanger area in the corner and 3 drawers under the TV. THe sink is located in the main room right beside the bed and the batroon is tiny with only a toilet and a shower, no tub. The place isnt filthy but I wouldnt call it clean. Stained carpets and hair in the batroom and sink area that the maid ignored every day. Maid also didnt change towels consistently not rinse the coffee pot or refill simple supplies like tissue, coffee, paper cups. Every day I had to go to the front desk and ask for these things. They supply them at the desk but what a pain to have to do what the maid should be doing. Front desk staff also is a little rude to say the least. One girl whined like a baby when I went down to ask for tissue that the maid left empty and a clean pillowcase as the one on my bed was stained. She was upset that I didnt ask earlier as housekeeping only works 9-5. So sorry I was out all day and not doing room inspection! Could not beleive her reaction and Sleep Inn should definitely send in some undercover management to weed these people out. The staff overall wasnt very good. While not a dump I would describe this place more as being sparse. Cleanliness could be improved quite a bit.

Parking is $5 per day and the lot gets full. When this happens the hotel staff direct you to park in front of fire hydrants and tell you its OK. This seems odd to me but they say they do it all the time. THe $5 per day parking fee doesnt mean you will have a spot to park.

Wireless internet in the hotel is very spotty and I got internet access maybe 10% of the time I tried. Horrible.

Gym in hotel is awful. Equipment sparse and most of it not working due to broken parts. THis area is completely neglected.

I paid from $80 to $110 per night. It changed each day. At $80 its a decent value. At $110 go elsewhere. Its a dorm room at best and the only thing saving it is its only 4 blocks from the action of Beale and downtown Memphis. There are nicer hotels in Memphis. Downtown gets pricey so thats where the Sleep Inn has its use. Dont expect much and you'll do OK but when the price gets over $80 I think it has to improve services to be any value.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank lashing
Reviewed July 12, 2005

This is a really nice, good value and well located hotel with very pleasant staff.
The room was clean, spacious and well equipped. The air conditioning was great! Very good shower and no complaints.
Same with breakfast. Tea, coffee, fruit juice, cereal, bagels, pastries, muffins - plenty to keep you going through the best part of the day.
I'd recommend this hotel to visitors to Memphis - we'll certainly be back!

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank derbysteve
Reviewed May 31, 2005

My wife and I planned a Memorial Day weekend getaway to Memphis. I'd never been before, and she'd only been for a business trip. So we wanted to do all the quintessential Memphis things: Beale Street, Graceland, barbeque, etc.

We'd had good results with a Sleep Inn on two recent trips to New Orleans. So, when I saw there was a newly-built Sleep Inn between Front and Main Streets in Memphis, five blocks from Beale, I booked our room.

A non-smoking queen was $88/night for Friday and Saturday nights, with the rate dropping to $79 for Sunday night. This rate was obtained directly from the Sleep Inn website, and was better than the rates I obtained at Expedia or Travelocity. I thought this was very reasonable, considering it was a holiday weekend. This hotel was also quite a bit less expensive than other area hotels. The website also warned of a $5/day parking charge.

Arrival / Check-in:
We had some difficulty finding the hotel. The directions indicated it was at "40 North Front Street," which it is. However, the directions don't mention that the hotel is set back from the street, with a large parking lot in between the hotel and the road. So we missed it the first time by.

On our second pass, we realized that we needed to turn down Court Street from Front, and found the entrance of the hotel.

The desk clerk was friendly and efficient, and checked us in without problem. He pointed out that the Main Street Trolley ran directly behind the hotel (along Main Street, of course) and that it cost $1.00 per ride. He told us about the hotel's continental breakfast, served from 7-10 AM each morning.

The clerk gave us a parking pass and reminded us about the $5/day charge. The parking lot is shared with the Springhill Suites hotel next door, and also seemed to be shared with an adjacent office building. The lot was nearly full on Friday afternoon, and parking seems like it could sometimes be a problem. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, we noticed that cars were parked along the curbs and under the hotel entranceway -- basically, every possible space was filled with vehicles.

The Room:
The room looked identical to the rooms we'd stayed in at the Sleep Inn CBD in New Orleans. And when I say identical, I mean identical. The strange curved wall outside the shower stall, the pocket door in the bathroom, the open-style closet with a round cutout above -- all the same as the New Orleans hotel.

In any case, the room was a clean, standard, middle-of-the-road hotel room. Queen-size bed, with a small dresser/desk and 20-inch TV, and two nightstands. The doorless closet had a single luggage shelf, a closet bar, and a shelf above. A chair under the desk and one next to the window finished out the furnishings.

As previously mentioned, the toilet and large shower stall were separated from the rest of the room by a pocket door. The water pressure and temperature was always excellent, and the vanity area was compact, with a single sink.

The room had a somewhat noisy window A/C unit. Our second-floor window looked out onto Main Street and the trolley. Street noise was not a problem.

Once nice feature of this hotel, again shared with the New Orleans location, is the large staircase from the lobby to the second floor. With a room on the second floor, like we had, we were able to avoid the slow elevators on most trips.

The hotel had free wireless access, and I brought my laptop with me. Although it was a nice amenity, service quality was spotty. The wi-fi signal in our room never got above around 33%, and faded in and out. I find that wired Ethernet is generally more reliable in hotels than wi-fi.

The hotel had a small exercise room and a business center, neither of which we used.

The continental breakfast was sparse, nothing more than bagels, muffins, and cold cereals. The breakfast area was clean and well-decorated, and the hotel also had a few patio tables just outside on the Main Street side. The clerk neglected to mention that the breakfast stopped at 9 AM (instead of 10 AM) on weekdays, so we missed breakfast on our last day, Memorial Day. No great loss.

Location, location, location:
The location of this hotel was ideal. Beale Street, Peabody Place and Autozone Park were easy walks, down the brick-paved Main Street. Main is closed to vehicular traffic, reserved for the trolley and for horse-drawn carriages, which are plentiful in Memphis.

The stops for the trolley are less than 50 yards from the door of the hotel. The Main Street entrance to the Sleep Inn is locked 24/7, requiring a room key for entry. Across Main Street, Court Square features shops and restaurants, including the excellent Blue Plate Cafe.

On the front side, the hotel is separated from Front Street by the above-mentioned parking lot. On the other side of Front, it was an easy walk to Confederate Park and the Mud Island River Park.

When driving, it was only two blocks from the hotel to I-40, and easy to get to all the major roads and highways in Memphis.

By their very nature, hotels like the Sleep Inn are not fancy -- but we prefer to save our money for restaurants, bars, and attractions on vacation. We basically like a hotel to be a clean, safe, convenient place to sleep -- and the Sleep Inn at Court Square meets these needs, no question!!

• Stayed: May 2005
15  Thank erzeszut
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Sleep Inn would be an okay pick when talking about basic services, cleanliness and location. There is no doubt about that. However, it is not a good choice in terms of security.

We suffered a theft in our hotel room and received lukewarm treatment from the hotel staff and management from then on. Memphis Police also told us the hotel parking lot is not secure. A number of car break-ins have been reported. This explains the "Park at your own risk" warning on the hotel's parking tags.

Never again.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank Kingstonklein
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2005

It's a well sited hotel within walking distance of Beale Street. We stayed 3 nights and found the front desk very friendly and helpful and our room was clean, comfortable and had a pleasant view over to the Mississippi. Breakfast was a bit basic but really you get what you pay for and we thought we had value for money. We would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2005