“Great location for visiting Memphis”

Sleep Inn at Court Square
Ranked #13 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Sydney, Australia
“Great location for visiting Memphis”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a well situated hotel. Being in the centre of town, you can walk almost anywhere from here.

Right out the back door are the vintage trolleys (trams/streetcars) that transport you around Memphis in style, taking you to most of the major attractions in town.

The rooms are well-decorated and above what I would expect from a mid-range hotel.

The bed is comfortable, the shower is good: these two things are make or break for me!

There's a good desk and chair, however, it's right underneath the TV, so if you work and watch like I do, it can give you a crick in the neck ;)

The best bit is what's concealed inside the wardrobe: fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron & board and safe. A very efficient use of space.

Breakfast in the morning is above average with hot food and the usual suspects.

There is parking out front, but it costs $12/night. It's pretty hard to get a park otherwise, so factor that in if you are driving.

Shannon at morning reception was an absolute delight and Michael, a reassuring presence at night.

I stayed here twice in one week and was very happy to do so.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I had end of hallway rooms (I stayed twice) and I recommend them for being quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ThePackedBag
gmsleepinnmemphis, General Manager at Sleep Inn at Court Square, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for the kind words expressed in your review about the Sleep Inn at Court Square, and especially about Shannon and Michael! We share all comments with our staff, who look forward to seeing what our guests are saying about their stay. We hope you have safe travels and look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Memphis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2013

When I saw that I had to stay at a Sleep Inn, I was upset but when I checked in, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the front desk agents were yelling across the lobby to coworkers, they were joking and laughing and genuinely seemed to be happy which made for a somewhat pleasant check-in after not sleeping that night. The room was well apportioned but the bathroom was minuscule. The view was terrible, I was stuck on the second floor and right behind the hotel sign so outside my window was just a blank wall about three feet away. Overall the hotel was quiet and clean and a rare surprise for a Sleep Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JeffreyChandler
The staff of the Sleep Inn at Court Square appreciate your positive comments about your overall stay while you were in Memphis. They are disappointed that they were not able to move you to a differant room with a better view, especially for the length of your stay. We try to accommodate all guest requests, as well as providing the first available ready room type to check-in to, upon arrival. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Memphis, and look forward to welcoming you back!
Henry
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you are looking for a clean room, located within walking distance of most downtown Memphis attractions, and great service, you can't go wrong with Sleep Inn in downtown Memphis. I was very surprised at this hotel. It is clean from the inside to the outside. The lobby area is very inviting.
The closest I came to any problem would be at check in. There was just lots going on in the lobby at 7:30 pm on a Friday night. There were three people ahead of me to check in the phone was ringing off the wall and there was towels needed by someone. Ima was working the desk that night and she handled everything as professionally as possible I did a great job. I waited about 15 minutes to check in but it wasn't a problem for me at all.
The room was great, clean and had a very comfy bed. The next time I am staying downtown Memphis the Sleep Inn will be at the top of my list for places to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bo W
We look forward to your return visit to the Sleep Inn at Court Square, and Memphis! Ima does a terrific job here, and we are glad to have her with us. I am sorry you had to wait to get checked-in that Friday evening. In speaking with Ima, it happend to be everything at once. Her co-worker and herself, determined it was quiet enough to go on break. I appreciate your patience and understanding.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My company put me up here for work. The rooms are well updated. The beds/linens/pillows were very comfortable. It's walkable to many of the attractions downtown, and the streetcar is right outside the door. I did hear it every now and then, but it didn't interfere with my sleep.
The "breakfast" was not good. It was very crowded (nowhere to sit), with a school group most days I was there, and the offerings were unappealing, and not replenished often.
The front desk staff was friendly enough, but not very helpful. I called to let them know my bathroom ceiling was leaking, and let them know when they asked about my stay at checkout. They seemed unconcerned, and unapologetic.
It's a fine place to get a good night's sleep. In terms of value for service, you get what you pay for!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LiliKB
gmsleepinnmemphis, General Manager at Sleep Inn at Court Square, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I appreciate your kind words about our hotel rooms, beds, and the friendliness of our staff. I am dissappointed to hear that the staff wasn't very helpful, that is not the norm for my staff. As for breakfast, I am sorry that you weren't able to find anywhere to sit, our breakfast attendant takes pride her area and in maintaining the breakfast foods.
Indiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The location was right on the square and the trolley ran right next to the hotel, so it was convenient and had a nice view. The service was lacking. Myself and 2 family members stayed in a room and we each wanted to pay for a night each. The guy at the front desk was TOTALLY put out and had some major attitude. So what if we had to come to the front desk each morning and pay for the night, don't know what the big deal was. Anything we asked him, he wasn't friendly or very helpful. The lady at the front desk on our morning of departure, on the other hand, was very nice and helpful. We wish we had dealt with her the entire time, not the rude guy. The room only had a shower, which was ok for us, but for a family with small children it might pose a challenge at bath time. We only had breakfast one morning, it was average hotel complimentary breakfast. If the customer service had been better, I would have given it 4 stars.

Room Tip: We enjoyed getting a room viewing the square. All major attractions are a trolley ride or within wal...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wonhappytraveler
gmsleepinnmemphis, General Manager at Sleep Inn at Court Square, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am dissappointed to hear that the service was lacking during your stay. There should not have been any issue with dividing the bill for the stay, whether each of you paid for all nights on the first night, or each day. The attitude of the Front Desk clerk is not acceptable, and has been addressed with the evening staff. I am happy to hear you had a positive experiance with the morning clerk, and hope you do stay with us again, should your travels bring you to back to Memphis. I do appreciate hearing both the good and bad comments concerning your stay.
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was attending a Conference at the Convention Center. This hotel was within walking distance, or in the case of bad weather, which was entire trip, you take the Trolly which stopped right outside the hotel.

The female staff was GREAT. Very personable and attentive. The male staff could use a little work on customer skills, as another traveler mentioned.

The breakfast was more than adequate, the room had all the ameneties you could nned and was very clean. My bed was extremely comfortable.

I would definetly stay here again if the opportunity ever presents itself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicholas D
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2013

A nice enough hotel with a decent location in Memphis. I was perhaps not as impressed as others have been. My biggest issue was the service seemed lacking. My room wasn't cleaned by 4 PM on a weekday - REALLY??? I was out and about in Memphis for the entire day (without a "do not disturb" sign on the door), so there was no reason that it should not have been cleaned. When smoke alarms went off in the wee hours of the morning, no real guidance from the hotel on what was going on. Not overly helpful when asking questions of the staff. Things like this knocked down my opinion of the hotel, but at the same time I would probably stay at again - with its decent, quiet location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo