“Walked in Memphis”

Sleep Inn at Court Square
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I had a solid trip to Memphis, Tenn. I had only went down for a day to watch the Civil Rights game. Thanks to Trip Advisor.com I was able to book a great hotel without any problems.

The Sleep Inn was a very nice hotel. My problem was that I misread the check in time. The check in time is 3 pm not 12 pm- I had it reversed. So I almost had my whole day messed up. Thankfully the hotel workers were able to get me a room sooner.

Unfortunatley the key to my room did not work though. I had to go tto the front desk three times before they gave me a different key. Finally the key worked and I was able to get on my way.

I did not have to stay in my room for very long. I was out and about in Memphis for most of the day. If you are ever in Memphis you must check out the Blue Plate Cafe (yummy down south breakfast). I also had BBQ ribs at Pig resturant on Beal Street. It was good ribs but I have a feeling there was probably better elsewhere.

I missed out on Leonards BBQ Buffet which is right by the hotel. Unfortunatley they are closed on Saturday. So for those who are thinking of trying it on a Saturday think again.

The area of Memphis where Autozone Park and Beal Street is cool. The general area of Memphis definetly needs some more businesses or something to help the economy. I would think a place known for good music and food would have more places in the area.

One interesting place I will check out next time is the fire fighters exhibit which isn't too far away from the hotel. You must definetly visit the Civil Rights Museum if you are ever in the area. It is actually attached to the Lorraine Motel which is where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assasinated. It is really a touching place to visit.

The Sleep Inn at the end of the day was a really comftorable place to stay and I would have no problems with staying there again. The Trolly to see the different parts of the city was right outside your door which was awesome. Everything was also within walking distance which was perfect for a walker like me.

The only thing was at the end of my stay the checkout lady was having a hard time with the printer. She must have had a piece of paper jam somwhere inside the printer. I helped her as best as I can to get the paper jam out of the printer. She was a tad impatient with people checking out though. Which I could, but could not understand.

Overall I was really happy with my stay. I would def. stay in the Sleep Inn again-it was a great place to stay for the price that I paid!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Stats14

Reviewed April 1, 2008

On a sweltering August morning we walked into the lobby on the off chance that they'd have a decent room with parking CLOSE BY; the staff was terrific. While the room was small and simple, it was tidy and had a nice view of the park; it was also directly on the trolley line which allowed us to see nearly all of the city without having to drive; the Continental breakfast was nice and certainly worth the low price paid.(about $90.00)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank FurballWaterbury_CT
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Even though the rooms are small, they use the space well ... the hot breakfast was very nice ... the Wi-Fi was very appreciated ...

And as for how to find this place, even though the address is Front Street, you need to turn off on West Court street to get to the hotel ... something my GPS failed to tell me, and I had to find out on my own after asking at the nearby Comfort Innn ...

Speaking of the Comfort Inn, if you do not get to the Sleep inn in time to secure a parking space, you will have to park at the Comfirt and then go on to the Sleep Inn ...

The control on the shower was very nice, allowing the user to set the temp and be able to turn it off, and when you next got in, just turn it on with the water being the same temperature ...

Stayed: March 2008
4  Thank GToddK
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on a weekend but did not want to pay high price for staying right on Beale. The trolley is right outside the door but it was nice out so we decided to walk. Downtown isn't far and its a nice walk. Our room was very small and the queen bed was too small for me and my husband to sleep comfortably. However, we managed since we spent most of our time out on the town. The room was clean and simple. Hotel staff were friendly. The business center was very small but had everything that we needed. The bathroom was tiny and a bit different. I did like the shower. Overall, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Stayed in Room 606. Just four blocks from Beale Street. shuttle stop right outside hotel. runs every 15 minutes. 15 minutes to Graceland. 5 minutes walk to info centre next to river. Very convenient for Fedex Forum. I took in a basketball game.
Great quality room, shower only, no bath (could be a problem for some, not me). Very clean.
Parking was $5 a day. Car Park security for peace of mind. Could see Mississippi River from 6th floor room (just).
In-room coffee.
Free breakfast, free usa today.
Only bad experience was the checkout. Only staff on reception was badged up as the regional sales director. The lady didn't know who to use the computer, was unable to give me a 'sleep inn directory' despite her asking me to stay at another facility during my road trip. Also never gave me a receipt as 'she didn't know how'. Very disappointing end to a great stay in a great location in a great hotel.
Despite checkout, i would fully recommend this location.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank nickss1
Reviewed February 1, 2008

Four of us (all adults) decided to visit Memphis for two days and see the sights, Graceland, Civil Rights Museum, Beale St., etc., I booked two rooms for our stay at the Sleep Inn after reading the many positive reviews for the hotel on TripAdvisor -- which I do often when booking reservations at hotels that I am not familiar with. Originally we had only booked for one night but called the hotel while on route and asked if we could have the same discounted rate for both nights. No problem.

This particular Sleep Inn is right downtown on the trolley line, so its very convenient to the many downtown restaurants as well as Beale St and other tourist attractions. I can't say enough about how helpful and courteous the staff at this hotel were, not only were they a very friendly bunch of mostly younger age folks, but they were always eager to please.

The continental breakfast was fairly standard stuff and the two days we were there for some reason they didn't have waffle batter for making self-serve waffles, but all in all it was not a bad spread. Other reviewers have noted that the rooms are a little smaller than those found in other hotels, perhaps but not significantly so, we certainly were not cramped by any means. On our second (and last night there) there was a water main break down the street from the hotel and as a result there was no running water the morning we were checking out. That certainly was an inconvenience but it certainly was not the hotels fault as some hotel guests seemed to think; furthermore the hotel staff was extremely apologetic and tried to be as accomodating as they possibly could given the circumstances -- they also voluntarily deducted $25 from each of our bills which, in my opinion, was not necessary given we were checking out anyway, but was certainly appreciated.

Finally, I rarely give a hotel an excellent rating, but our stay was such a positive experience I thought this particular facility deserved it, especially in light of the water problem and how the staff tried to handle the situation. If your travel plans call for a stay in Memphis, I would strongly suggest you consider the Sleep Inn downtown.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Don_Chattanooga
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I stayed at the Sleep Inn at Court Square the first week of January 2008.

The hotel's lobby and common areas are well-appointed, and have a great amount of cozy space. That's good, because the rooms are pretty tiny. I was traveling alone on business, picking up review material for Tie Dye Travels, so it wasn't that big a problem for me. But if I'd had to share the room with my husband, there might have been issues!

My room had a double bed, a dresser/closet combination, and a tiny bathroom with a walk-in shower. At first this concerned me. Fortunately, there were no worries. The room was spotless to a fault. Ample lighting had been installed so you could flood the room with light or have just a small light on. There are no lamps to knock over or extemporaneous gadgets about. The desk area includes two electrical outlets for hooking up your cell phone charger and computer. There's also an Ethernet hookup for those who aren't equipped to use the wireless internet. Speed is first rate, but I ended up using my laptop's aircard instead. Reception with AT&T is excellent -- full bars!

The bed, while not spectacular, does come with adequate blankets and four pillows. There's a coffeemaker, iron, and ironing board available.

The bathroom's limited space is maximized with the use of a sliding panel instead of a full door. Ventilation is good and steady. The shower is fitted into a round knock-out into the room -- a detail I first thought was a design element. However, the modular shower's round end allows for more space.

The best part about the shower, though, was the water -- a continuous, unvarying steady hard stream of hot water. This is one hotel you could actually burn yourself on the water! After a full day of walking in Memphis, the good water pressure and steamy shower are very, very welcome.

The view from my window showcased the lovely park below and the trolley line. There was some construction going on during the day across the street, but it didn't start getting noisy until after 8am, and was well over by nightfall.

Housekeeping was very good to me... when I was in the room or in the hall the girls always greeted me sweetly. I had a room on the end of the building on the trolley side, and was quite pleased.

The staff was great to me. The desk manager offered to grab a baggage cart for me, and directed me to where I could pick up the day's copy of USA Today. The evening desk guy always greeted me by name (with a Mrs., at that!) and there was hot coffee, hot chocolate, chocolate chip cookies and popcorn in the evening.

In the morning, there were plenty of breakfast items to enjoy. An attendant is on-hand to make sure everything's out and that folks know how to use the waffle batter and maker. The breakfast menu includes waffles, a selection of danishes and bagels, several varieties of muffins, fresh apples and bananas, tropical fruit salad, cold hard boiled eggs, bread, hot beverages, apple and orange juice, milk and cereal, oatmeal, and condiments. I was surprised to find real butter packets in addition to margarine.

If you'd rather have a hot breakfast, the Blue Plate Cafe's downtown location is cattycorner across the square. I went over and had the Huervos Rancheros one morning -- very good, but way too much food, as they came with a big plate of biscuits and three very fluffy buttermilk pancakes!

Being on the trolley line is great -- but if the weather is nice and you're up to it, you can hotfoot it just about everywhere you want to go. The hotel is just four blocks down from the north end of Peabody Place. For unusual souvenirs, check out the Center for Southern Folklore. Good sushi and martinis can be purchased ad Swig's after 3pm -- and fun can be had with games, pool, and bowling at Jillian's at Peabody Place.

The hotel is just six blocks away from the party on Beale Street. Check out A. Schwab's -- it's a neat little two story general store that has just about everything you might think you need.

One place the tour brochures aren't going to tell you about is Alcenia's. It's a few blocks north of the hotel on Main Street -- on the north side of Interstate 40, almost underneath the Hernando De Soto Bridge. B.J. and her folks make up some mean grub -- Southern cooking at its finest. Her hand-battered skillet fried chicken is to die for -- and try the lima beans. They're packed with pickled tomatoes and cha-cha, and a meal in themselves. If you like sweet, try the Ghetto-Aid -- it's overly sweet Kool-Aid. B.J. serves everything on brightly colored Tupperware, and the whole restaurant is decked out in bold colors and kitchy items.

Do be aware that parking at the hotel is $5 a day -- but that's cheap, considering some of the places around downtown. You can come and go as you wish, but be aware that during the week the lot can fill up quick.

If you have to have something from home or forgot your prescription, there's a Walgreen's on the Main Street Mall about a block and a half south of the hotel. It's got everything you'd expect at Walgreen's, and also sells cheap souvenirs.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business