“A great place to stay”

Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
Ranked #22 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed two nights at the Crowne Plaza recently and couldn't have been more pleased. The location is great - not in the middle of the Beale Street hoo-hah, but within five minutes - the staff is attentive and so polite, and the room was clean, well-appointed and very comfortable. In fact, the bed was so comfortable, we overslept, and I NEVER do that when traveling. The hotel provides free drink vouchers, which we used for the best margarita I've had in a long time, and delivers USA Today to your door. Just an outstanding experience all the way around.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown

Reviewed August 18, 2009

Recently stayed a week for daughter's wedding-we blocked 20 rooms but they filled up quickly--they quickly blocked 20 more! And this was Elvis week! Rooms were clean, quiet, and coool--so nice with the Memphis heat. Nice flat-screen TV, in room amenities, and breakfast buffet. Endless coffee at the bar. Drinks were too pricey at the bar for the wedding guests after the reception was over, but probably a good thing! ; ) Given a courtesy drink card on check-in. Visited a fine liquor store on the trolley line, so no problems! Very safe, easy access from interstate. Easy access to trolley. Computers in lobby if you forget your own, including a printer for boarding passes, etc. Housekeepers very pleasant. Front desk stays busy, but clerks multitask beautifully. Fastest elevator in the south! Nice area for smokers outside-very clean with tables and chairs. I used to stay at the Holiday Inn Express across from the Peabody, but getting in and out is troublesome. Will always stay at the Crowne in the future. Only suggestion--more light in rooms.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 18, 2009

During our stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Memphis the hotel was clean and as described on the website. However, the service that we received was outstanding from the time we arrived, in between and fromt he time we departed. Each employee wanted us to be comfortable and receive anything we desired. Customer Service is what determines which hotel I'll be staying at in the next time. Either you have staff that has it or you don't. The staff has it naturally and it was displayed at all times along with their smiles.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed here during a trip around the south and found the staff friendly and the rooms clean, this hotel is close to Beale Street and the night life. If I had one complaint it was the price of drinks at the bar.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Let me start with the good- 1. The location is excellent. Quick access to downtown, restaurants, shopping, museums, and freeway. 2. The rates are reasonable.
Otherwise, I'd have to say this was the worst 3.5 star hotel I'd ever been in. 1. The rooms were not kept in good condition. The room we were given had a broken internet line, so were moved across the hall. That room had outlets that didn't work, a cracked window, and bathroom door that didn't close all the way. 2. Housekeeping was less than adequate. The first night, I found dirty panties in the bed!! The bathroom was not cleaned well. And when towels were taken, we didn't always get new ones. 3. When my husband realized he left his sleep apnea machine and heart medicine in the first room, the manager told us that they didn't have a key to the lost and found. We would have to wait till the next day, unless I wanted to pay a locksmith to open their door! When I spoke to another manager, stressing that he can't sleep without the machine, he told me that the only thing they could do for us is call 911! This was all too bizare, especially since our name and cell phone number were clearly marked on the equipment. After staying up all night, talking to our hospital staff back home, and trying to find a solution, we contacted the hotel staff again. Finally, the next day we were given our belongings. Neither manager offered any compensation for our trouble.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
dstephens, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2009

My apologies for this incident. When you checked out of the previous room your items were then locked up in our lost and found which is kept secure overnight. I was called at 2am to try and assist you and was informed of the situation. We suggested calling either 911 or a local hospital to see if a machine could be rented overnight for your use. We even offered to pay for transportation or some of the cost of the machine to assist you during your trying situation.

Our lost and found area is kept secure overnight for your valuables safety and the only people that have access are limited mainly to normal business hours to assist you. We did try reaching individuals who would have had keys to this area but unfortunately they were not answering their phones at 2am.

Reviewed July 29, 2009

I reserved a small block of 20 rooms to hold a family reunion. The hotel was completely booked and hosted 2 other family reunions. They staff went out of the way to accomodate us. The two gentleman that worked at the desk the weeked of the 17-20 were very nice and went above and beyond to help us. The banquet staff was more than generous. The sales department went out of their way to help us as well. We were given a free boardroom with free drinks to have our registration and meet and greet. The swiming pool was small and outside but it did the job. My only complaint was the mosquitos. I went back to New York with bites all on my legs and arms but OBVIOUSLY, this is not a hotel controlled issue. WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND AGAIN!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Went for romantic getaway w/hubbie. Got room via Priceline. The list of problems is VERY long.
THE ROOM:
1) no flat screen TV despite website saying all rooms have 32' flat screen; picture came in & out /fuzzy on several (if not all) channels.
2) Cheesy doors on closet (plastic faux wood - like you'd see in a 2-star Motel 6, not a 3-star Crowne Plaza).
3) Furniture was nice, but didn't really work in the room. Marble/granite topped nightstands & dresser/TV stand. BUT - everything was like 5" away from the wall (and too heavy to move), so stuff kept falling behind it. Also, the "dresser" was really meant for a mini bar/micro combo. SO there were maybe 3 SMALL drawers on one side - the other side was an open area (for fridge) w/o any shelf, so wasted furniture space (and no place to unpack for 2 people - I had to use nightstand drawers, removing all phone books, etc). Also, no counter space b/c of the TV.
4) some pieces didn't really match. Not such a big deal, but again, it's advertised as 3-star.
5) Internet went in & out quite a bit. On 1st nite (Thursday) was out for several hours - we had broadband card and used it. You often had to switch between several different routers to get signal.
6) TINY bathroom. To be expected in a city hotel - but just FYI.
7) bathtub was not able to be used for a bath - shower only - b/c filthy bathmat (to prevent slipping in shower) was only there to cover filthy glued-on strips. And it clearly had not been cleaned regularly. I wonder if these folks have heard of BLEACH? The very thin bathmat was actually kind of cool - IF they had been properly washed and IF they were not there simply to cover up partially removed strips that had been glued (there were remnants of the strip & glue under the mat - no way could we bathe even if we had re-cleaned it ourselves (which I often do, even in 4-star hotels).
8) plug on my nightstand light didn't work - so had to use plug that was behind the bed and raised so high it came in contact with the bedsheets. I think this is a fire hazard.
9) housekeeping was spotty. Hubbie had great experience on day 1 (he went 1 day ahead of me for biz). But, they didn't refill our coffee allotment daily, didn't bring towels one day, gave us 3 washcloths, but only 1 handtowel, and left the shower curtain liner outside the tub so we came back to a pool of water on the bathroom floor (my pants bottoms were soaked after I used the restroom). Also - they came at different times - in am on day 1 (hubbie), not til 2pm on day 2 & 3, then 9am on day 4.... go figure. Also, website says nightly turn down - never got it (and had they been around to do turn down, perhaps they would have noticed the TRASH in the halls!)

THE HOTEL ITSELF.
(1) The elevator situation is absolutely unacceptable. There are actually 3, but only 2 are for guests, so 2 slow elevators for (I think) 280 rooms is not enough. PLUS there is NO WAY TO USE THE STAIRS to go up/down to lobby because the doors exit to the bldg exterior, so can't have access for security reasons (and I asked). Then, there's the problem of one elevator breaking down. Thurs nite it went out by 10pm, and wasn't up til Fri am. Fri nite, went out around 11pm or midnite, Sat nite, I can't recall the time, but it was out. SO, every time up/down could be a VERY long experience (ie 5-10 min wait each way - so going out for a cigarette was a 1/2 hour ordeal - good for the lungs!).
Also, b/c the place was so booked, there were MANY (perhaps 2/3 of the time) times there would be 10-25 people all waiting for the elevator - it was just ridiculous!

(2) don't be fooled by the photos re the pool. (a) it's not very big, (b) has a rope across the center so no laps and (c) it's ACROSS the driveway - so you have to go through the lobby and through the FRONT DOOR and across the driveway to get to it. We didn't bother.

(3) Trash was overflowing in cans & left in hallways, making our entire floor smell like BBQ. There were at least 3 reunions (maybe 3 family & 1 high school) the weekend we were there - the place was PACKED. There was an advertised hospitality room for one of them on my floor (2nd). But staff never checked the trash situation, despite knowing a room was being used there for parties. By 5pm the trash can by the ice machine was overflowing (including chicken wing bones on top of it - nice). By 9pm, there were large boxes/items in the elevator lobby, beer can on table, etc. not addressed til Friday am.
(4) shuttle service was spotty - they were just too busy - so we ended up taking the trolley to Beale Street/attractions (which was actually kind of fun and a very short (<1 block) walk.
(5) Not enough parking in the evenings. You pay $10, but may or may not have a space if you use your car in the evening - we lucked out and got the last one at 9:30p on Fri nite. there were TONS of cars the rest of the time driving around and trying to figure out what to do (some were guests, others were there for their reunion events)
(6) the "gift shop" was less stocked than what I'd seen at my last 2-star stay at a holiday inn or comparable. a few sodas, LOTS of chips. There WAS a microwave in there that I assume you could use, but it wasn't worth the elevator wait to get to it.
(7) restaurant/bar was adequate (per my hubbie), but he tried to get a drink once and after waiting >10 min for someone to come take order, he gave up and left.
(8) I observed some pretty PO'd folks talking on cell phone b/c the went to their room and it was full of someone else's stuff. I've had it happen to me also, but just FYI.
(9) one of the front doors appeared to be broken and stuck on the "open" position -
(10) walking around the bldg perimeter, there is a sense of raindrops falling - I assume it's from the a/c units on the top of the bldg, but it could be annoying.
(11) no airport shuttle - they have one for the tourist sites, and they took my hubbie to a small grocery & wine shop, which was very nice, but not to airport.
(12) I went back to the website for this review and found a number of things that we did not see/experience, including the "selection" of newspapers = USA today only (at least on Fri am), never saw the car rental desk, or the "library."

THE GOOD THINGS.
(a) What the place lacks in "hard" assets, the staff does its best to make up for in friendliness and helpfulness (though housekeeping could be better).
(b) Location is pretty good - it's off the beaten path (and I'd like to say quiet, but there were always kids -and, unfortunately adults- running up & down our hallway b/c of the hospitality room, I think) - and if you get a north room, you are right next to the highway, which had some noise (but not too bad). However, you can easily walk to the trolley, and getting around by car was quite convenient.

BOTTOM LINE: I'd only stay here again if I could get it for far less than 2-star price, esp when most 2-stars have a free breakfast; there is NO WAY I'd pay rack rates (or probably anything >90/night unless it was a special weekend, like Elvis' birthday).

We were told that there are usually "at least two family reunions" every weekend during the summer. This can make things difficult b/c there are very very large groups all over the place, shouting to each other, greeting each other, etc. It's nice to see family reunions, but it can be a pain when you've waited 5 min for the elevator and someone is holding the door waiting for 5 other family members to get in.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
dstephens, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2009

I apologize for the events on the weekend that you were here. It was an extremely busy weekend as we hosted 4 family reunions that weekend and two high school reunions. This large amount of people desending on the hotel which is 230 rooms and most ppl had up to 4 ppl in room was almost too much for us and the facilities to handle. I believe that next year we are going to put a limit on how many reunions we are going to take on a single weekend.

Thank you for all of your comments and we will address the concerns.