“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”

Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Stone Mountain
“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked the Crowne Plaza Downtown for a girlfriends weekend getaway. The weekend we plan to go was also the same weekend of the Classic Football Game, so there were not a lot of hotels available downtown at a good price, so when I found the Crowne Plaza for the price I was very happy. Well the best thing I can say about this hotel is the customer service! I travel a lot and I can't remember better customer service than that we received. The hotel is older,but rooms are clean, clean, clean. All rooms have been upgraded, and they have flat screens, iron, iron board and coffee maker. The shower has great water pressure and they give you lots of towels so you don't have to ask for them like you do at a lot of hotels. The hotel is located on the outskirts of downtown, maybe about a 15 minute walk, and the trolley is located behind the hotel, but they offer a shuttle that will drop you off anywhere downtown, and they give you the number so you can call them and they can come and pick you up, and they do it with a smile. The lobby has a lounge and the bar offers happy hour specials, and they serve great food !We had breakfast there and it was very good.

I can't say enough about the customer service we received from the shuttle drivers, front desk, bartenders, housekeeping, room service, and bellhop everyone really did an outstanding job. Shout out to Reginald, Love, Kenneth, and Bob for going the extra mile.

Room Tip: Ask for room with city view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Punkypo
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your stellar review! We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and are so glad that you had a great time at the Crowne Plaza Memphis. We will pass on your ‘hello’ to our wonderful team members and want to thank you for recognizing them all. We strive to provide the best service and quality to all our guests. We look forward having you stay with us again on your next visit to Memphis.

Crowne Plaza Memphis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was travelling on my own and felt very comfortable at this hotel. The staff were nothging but friendly and helpful and the hotel was second to none in location and cleanliness etc. The pool areas was wonderful too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback and kind comments regarding our wonder staff. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our service and amenities and look forward to serving you again.

Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was shopping for a hotel and decided to bid on priceline to get a great hotel at a really good deal. Little did I know, that I would end up with Crowne Plaza a 3.5 star hotel. I think 3.5 stars, that cant be too bad, WRONG ANSWER!

First when we arrive, we find out that there is an 15-18 charge for parking. They were going to charge $18 for valet parking that was less than 10 feet away or charge $15 to park your own car and walk the 10 feet to the building per day. Next, trying to get in and out of the parking area was a major issue because the machine fail to work. When you buzz the office for assistance, no one responded. I then had to back-up and return to the main doors and request someone to assist me getting in and departing out.

The hotel halls had this bad odor as if it had rained, it was a mildew smell that was extremely alarming and I wondered was it safe. Once I arrived to my room, the scent disappeared, but the fact of having to walk through that scent was horrific each time I entered and departed the room. I was in a double room, on full size beds. To add comfort to the beds, the hotel added a pillow-like padding to the bed. Unfortunately, this tool failed to assist in the comfort of the bed. I have slept on some bad mattresses, but this by far was the worst mattress that I have ever slept on. I woke up in unbelievable pain the two nights I stayed at this hotel.

The breakfast was over-priced in which the buffet was $9 for a coffee, muffin, and some other small items. It was nothing as I originally expected it to be, definitely not worth $9.

Each day the housekeeping staff came around 8 or 9. I ask that they come back because I wasn't dressed, but they never came back. When I ask for more towels at the front desk, they always requested my name and room number as if I was trying to take the towels and they had to document that they gave them to me. Takeout trash, room service, and other trash was always sitting outside someone's door and sometimes it carried over to the next morning. Which is really horrible to walk by this trash each time you enter and depart your room.

I have stayed at about 15 hotels this year for business and pleasure and this by far has been the worst experience. I don't understand how or why, because this place has the potential to be a very good location, but the services and the quality were just unacceptable. I will never stay at this hotel again and I encourage you to do the same.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tina C
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. We are disheartened that your experience was not up to par and have shared your comments with our departments so that we can continue to provide better service to our guests. Your experience is not typical of our hotel and hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you.

Crowne Plaza Memphis

Travelers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is like any other Crowne Plaza Hotel.. except just a little more run down.. and with a little more attitude.
It's on the far end of the downtown area. I hear the side of the hotel with downtown view are awesome, we however got the non scenic view side which over looks I-40 and St. Judes.
The front desk was helpful, and the shuttle service will take you just about anywhere you need to go downtown as long as its not raining (which is really weird).
We did not eat at the restaurant because we heard all kinds of weird things and opted to eat out because its a town known for BBQ and you probably shouldnt be eating in your hotel anyway.

The only complaints we had are the following.

1. They charge you $15 a day to park. If you go down the street you can find several garages that charge you $10 a day, so do your homework if you dont plan on using your car because those lots do not allow in & out like the hotel does.

2. In our room there was this weird paint like goo, oozing from the base of the toilet. It was wet and got on our shoes and feet. it seemed to be like some kind of base sealer but smelled like paint. Maybe some kind of rig, maybe some kind of new age sealant we dont know about yet.. either way it was a mess and ruined a pair of flip-flops.

3. It rained a lot while we were there. The parking lot flooded. We mentioned this to the front desk. The front desk said "Yeah.. it does that sometimes.. squish squish" Then.. after we changed in to some dry clothes and headed back out we noticed that the drains were just covered with leaves and liter.. We cleaned away the leaves and liter ourselves from the 4 drains between the door and our car and by the time we were ready to pull out of the parking lot.. the once almost 2.5" of water was almost completely drained.. So essentially.. we fixed the flooded parking lot.. So.. the parking lot floods sometimes because nobody cleans it.. GOT IT!

If you are looking to save some cash and can book this hotel through a budget/discount site.. Its not so bad.. But if you want to be where all the action is.. This is not your hotel..
This is more of a last minute, everything else is booked up, or at this point I dont care where we stay... kind of hotel..

We didnt hate it.. but we might not go back if we were willing to spend $30-40 more a night somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a downtown view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for all the feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Memphis. We do appreciate you taking the time to give us your review so that we can continue to provide better service to our guests. Our staff and guests safety is our priority so the only time our shuttle service will not run is if the road conditions are dangerous and visibility is low. We are glad that overall you enjoyed our hotel and will look to wow you on your next visit to Memphis.

Sullivan, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights over a holiday weekend. We were disappointed as soon as we saw the hotel from the interstate and immediately wished we had booked with the Marriott instead which is right across the street. The main reason we picked the Crowne was due to the pictures of the outdoor pool on the hotel website. The pictures online are not true to life for the pool or guest rooms. On a positive note, the hotel staff at check in was very friendly and the lobby seemed to be updated not long ago. However, once we stepped on the elevator my stomache sank because I realized the luxious hotel I was expecting was not what we got. Everything was old, dated, dark and gloomy. Our room, which was a king size on the 10th floor and cost $150/night smelled musty and the quality was poor. The door stuck, the peep hole was blocked, there were cracks in the walls and the air conditioner was dirty. Despite the appearance of the room the bed was very comfortable and we slept great! Breakfast buffett was overpriced and our credit card would not go through when we tried to pay for parking and exit the hotel lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback so that we can correct any issues with the guest room. Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff. We apologize that your expectations were not met on this occasion and hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again.

Texas City
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Nice property, front desk staff very helpful and friendly. Darryl Hulon made a big difference as well as the shuttle driver. Great outdoor pool for those who like swimming, easy parking - valet or self, tasty breakfast, free shuttle service to downtown which is very convenient. This is a place you want to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay and all the amenities that we offer. Thank you for recognizing our team members! We are glad that made a great impact on your stay. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Memphis.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here in October and this was just an ok hotel. Location is about 1 km frim the action.
Rooms are ok, beds are nice.
We stayed with a friend couple with kids and got the rooms frim the other ends of a long corridor despite we asked close by rooms.
Outside pool was small and not inviting.
Some of the staff members were not the most friendly.
A little shady neighbourhood.

• Stayed October 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review from your stay with us last October. We apologize that we were not able to accommodate your request for a close room to your friends. We do try our best to honor such requests. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. We appreciate your feedback.