“Best of the hotel we have stayed in downtown. Will be back next year.”

Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed May 8, 2012

First off, I don't get why people complain about parking. $15 a day in a secured parking lot in Downtown Memphis TN is fantastic. There were also complaints about noise. We live in the rural world and slept so nice here. There were also complaints about the age of the building. It was beautiful and the only age issue was having to hold down the handle when you flushed. Not bad at all considering is is a downtown hotel which usually means an older hotel. The trolley was right there, they have a shuttle, it is very clean and the workers are super nice. I wish the pool stayed open later because after being outside in the 90's in massive crowds, that would have been perfect. I booked through hotels.com but when I checked in, I asked for a fridge in my room and they moved us to a room with a fridge. When self parking was full, they let us park in the valet parking. A porter was always there asking if you need assistance and security was present. My husband and I plan another stay for next years BSMF. Thank you Crowne Plaza. Our stay was better than the other downtown hotels we stayed at that were way closer to the festival. You will be seeing us again.

Room Tip: if you are worried about noise, just request to be on the other side of the freeway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen W

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel May 1st - May 5th, 2012, for a business trip. The staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we walked into the lobby. Rooms were clean and fresh. The River City Cafe restaurant downstairs was awesome, too. Excellent, friendly service, and great food. Really good breakfast buffet and great catfish dinner. I really cannot say enough about my experience. I had wanted to stay at the Marriott across the street but they were full. I had read some bad review on the Crowne Plaza, but since it was close, I booked it. Boy am I glad I did! The Marriott is a very classy hotel, but I am positive no other hotel in town could have made my experience any better. Thank you staff of Crowne Plaza and River City Cafe!!!!!

Linda S.

Room Tip: I had a room with a king size bed - sheets were clean and fresh and pillows were soft. I didn't...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed here with friends for 2 Nights. Rooms very comfortable and clean, only problem our room backed onto the highway and it was very noisy. Shuttle was great for getting into town and back. Food and staff excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Checked in at 10 am after a red eye flight, front desk checked me right in no hassles. Front desk people very friendly and helpful. Room was OK, a little dated. Beds were fine. Free coffee in the lobby. Did not eat at this hotel. Good location.

Room Tip: Bid on room at priceline. Got room for 2 nights for 75/ night,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my hubands 40th.
When i looked at tripadvisor there were alot of bad comments about this hotel.
I even spoke to my travel agent about changing the hotel,, but im glad i never.
I loved this hotel, it was clean, cozy and very friendly.
We made friends with the shuttle driver terry he was lovely...also so was love (that was his name).

Its not to far to beale st, only a 10 min walk or a free shuttle from the hotel.
We never had any food at the hotel so im not to sure what its like.
We had some lovely food at BB kings, but the ribs at rendezvous were very very dry...(DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE LOVE IT)

But please dont be put off by the reports,, we had a great time and loved every minute of it. x

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank NICKSTAN1
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Hotwire has this as a downtown hotel. It is in the area but there are many closer hotels to Beale St. The employees are very nice but not at all helpful. Valet parking is $18.00, what they do not tell you is you can park it yourself for $15.00. But even better right across the street in the church parking lot you can park for $5.00 a day. They do have a shuttle and it is great to use, but there is nothing around the hotel so you have to rely on the shuttle. Or better yet walk across the street to the Marriott and walk through the lobby. On the other side of the building is the trolly and it maybe is a 5 minute walk to get there. Plus the Marriott has a coffee shop and some sweets, they are open at night as well. The hotel is older, the air conditioning in our room only went down to 68. We called to have it fixed, nope did not happen. Called down again and said it wasn't fixed do they have a fan, they told us where to go to buy one. If you are staying on the side by the freeway you will not get a good night sleep. I took ear plugs and even with them in I could hear the noise like I was outside. Every day we had to call down for toilet paper, you only get what's left on your roll. We stayed for 3 days and so I feel I can judge this fairly. My suggestion would be to not bid on 3 1/2 stars in Memphis because you pretty much are guaranteed to get this hotel. This is not the worst hotel, but it needs work and is not a 3 1/2 star. Again nice employees, very friendly people work there and I am thinking if you get a room away from the freeway it might be a much better experience.

Room Tip: Beg to be put away from the freeway, and if you are driving and staying during the summer you may wa...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheri25
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Cheri25,

Thank you for your stay with us and leaving feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry for any inconvenience you experienced from the outside noise. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 3, 2012

The Crowne Plaza is positioned away from the downtown noise but you can hear the trolley buses
However this did not ruin our stay here and the room was quite nice overlooking the pool and the street.
Powerful shower and hair dryer plus bonus of china mugs with the coffee maker instead of the card board variety.To catch the trolley bus to Beale Street you have to walk through the Marriott hotel and
the stop is right outside if you are over 62 you can travel on the trolley for $1.If you can try to get to
the Peabodys Hotel down town before 5pm and watch the ducks in the hotel lobby walk the red carpet
into the lift to reach Duck Palace,it is very entertaining and the hotel encourage you to watch and take
photos.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor was very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple