“Nice Clean 3 Star (not 3 1/2) Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed March 17, 2011

The room was a very nice upscale room as you would expect in a 3 1/2 star hotel. The restaurant and bar were small - not 3 1/2 star quality. You have to cross the area for cars enterring the check-in to reach the pool and as such for families or even leisure travel, The reception personnel are border line rude - others were very pleasant.

I was on a hotwire rate of $100 and as such the hotel was a good value. I would not pay the $150 or higher rack rates.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown

Reviewed March 16, 2011

What I didn't like:
Location: Very poor location compared to other hotels close to Union St and Beale. Cannot leave the hotel without the car, and parking anywhere in the downtown to eat would cost parking fees

Housekeeping:
Not too thrilled about housekeeping standards. My trash was not cleaned from the trashcans, and roomservice delivered napkins/ glasses were not removed. Towels were not stocked properly in the bathroom either.

Breakfast:
Not too attentive staff. In spite of paying tips, servers were not really serving the patrons. Breakfast food quality not great either. The guy who makes omelettes presents himself very well, though.

Gym:
Needs a lot of improvement too (very low ceiling, and the room is quite small)

I have tried a few name-brand Memphis downtown hotels so far, and somehow none have delivered. People here do not know much about Customer Service, and cannot deliver the 'experience'. There is no 'hospitality culture' that you see in some other tourist-friendly hotels. Some staff members get it--but not everyone! Most of the hotels here do not give you an experience, and the only reason people probably stay in downtown hotels is because of the location (Beale St, clubs, great restaurants). If I could drive farther out (affects my work routine/ traffic)--much better/ newer hotels are available.

I am a Priority Club Member (with the highest status, and that's why staying in the Crowne Plaza), so I get calls from staff asking how the hotel is doing--but, I am not sure if they really translate their words to actions.

On the positive side...
1. The room is decent (not too thrilled about the airconditioning unit though); and there is some weird smell that I cannot detect so far (but bed, furniture, etc. are good)
2. They welcomed me with a nice small drink bottle - complimentary (it was laying on the bed)
3. Parking is $10 - cheaper compared to other area hotels in downtown

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Stayed here in late January. Parking is indeed $10, which seems strange since we are not in the center of downtown. Room was nice, clean and modern, but nothing outstanding. Late checkout available for priority rewards members - but beware of the managers and housekeeping that will call your room and knock on the door every 15 minutes starting at noon. Ruined the extra sleep and relaxing we needed. The shuttle service was excellent - now only if it ran later so we could actually have stayed out without paying for a cab or parking on top of hotel parking! The staff at night was excellent! Because the shuttle was running a bit slow, they took the initiative to call the restaurant we had reservations for to let them know we would be late. Above and beyond - very thoughtful! There were loud teenagers from out of town that blew a foghorn at about 12 am, and the staff was upstairs before we could inspect the hallway. I would stay here again if the rate was significantly lower or if there were more amenities/less fees.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2011

If you're paying for the room there are certain things that should be included like parking and the Continental breakfast and parking and the rooms are not all that great for the price and the staff needs to work on there hospitality staying here is a waste of time and money

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

The Hotel was clean but nothing special. Kinda run down for the price. They charge $10 a day to park in their parking lot. Is that normal? I've never had to do that before. It is a little bit further from the middle of downtown than I would have liked. The only true complaint I have is that when we went downstairs the first morning we thought that there was a continental breakfast. There wasn't anything saying otherwise. There was no sign saying that there was a charge for what we were about to eat. So we sat down to eat and when we were finished we were given a bill for $32.00!!! WHAT?!!! We paid it but I have had better "Conitnental Breakfasts" at lessor quality hotels and didn't have to pay a dime for it. If we ever go back to Memphis we will spend the extra money and stay at The Peabody!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stayed here for the proximaty to the convention center. I am a platinum priority club member so I have stayed at several.

The best thing I can say about this is the staff. All of the staff were friendly and very helpful. Above average staff compared tro all hotels.

This property is very run down. As a convention hotel, it gets a lot of use and shows. The carpet is worn and dirty, the furniture is a mismatched grouping that looks like it was bought at various yard sales. The bathrooms are very small and out dated.

As someone that spends several months a year traveling, following are a few of my pet peeves that I experienced here:
- Not enough and inconvienet outlets by the desk. There were only two outletsunder the desk. I had to crawl under the desk to plug in my laptop. Not a big deal except that the coffee maker is on the desk so you could not have the desk light, coffee maker, and laptop plugged in at the same time. I had to crawl on the floor to swithch plugs out daily.
- Shower curtain in bathroom was too short to sta in tub, hence the bathroom floor got soaked after a shower.
- Circuits are old and easily overloaded. The bedside light and clock were connected to a GFI outlet in another room, they popped the circuit, blowing out my light and clock.
- VERY THIN walls. You could here EVERYTHING going on in the bathroom nextdoor. Addiounally, the couple was extremley amorous and very vocal. You here this in many hotels, but this was as if they were in the room. This would have been and interesting conversation if I had kids with me.

Overall, this hotel was good at onetime, but it is need of a major remodel/upgrade. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here during a short break in Memphis. The hotel room was very nice and well equipped with great views from the floor to ceiling window. The breakfast (for an extra charge) was quite mediocre, but there was nowhere nearby to walk out to for an alternative. Downtown is within walking distance, but there were one or two "characters" to pass on the way!! So maybe better to use the trolley or hotel shuttle. Staff at the hotel were very friendly and went out of their way to sort out a free shuttle bus ride to Stax museum and back, which we greatly appreciated. We also enjoyed the good music played throughout the hotel!!!!!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple