“Needs major update at this hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis

Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis
Ranked #50 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Houston, Texas
“Needs major update at this hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have been on a 15 day road trip, this was a short stop on the way back to Texas, I have chosen to stay with Marriott and Hyatt throughout our trip because both are reputable chains, and so far I have been satisfied. Unfortunately this particular Fairfield Inn was just way below par, the staffs were friendly, but the area of town, the room and facilities are so run down, we wanted to leave as soon as we got there! The noise level was also terrible, walls were paper thin, I can hear the next room's conversation without trying. By 6 am we were woken up by the sounds from the floor above us, I don't think they were trying to be noisy, that's just how thin the floor/ceiling was.

Hopefully the hotel will go through some major upgrades very soon, I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shane D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our hotel. I do apologize we were unable to meet your expectations. However, I do appreciate the comments and will definitely pass them along.

Shane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

When I travel I normally stay with Marriott (Products) and so I have been a Platinum member for probably 10-11 years running. The stay here was a road warrior stay, long day travelling in between destinations and so All I basically want is a clean room-clean bathroom that both smell fresh. The room smelled musty when I arrived and so I happened to have some "febreeze" in my car and it came in handy. This is an older property in a low-rent motel district and so it is what it is. But it was far from clean, which is where I weigh the rating. I sense that it is cheap to fit the neighborhood and so not even an average Fairfield Inn & Suites !!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on south side or opposite Interstate Highway ! Too noisy otherwise!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank welltraveled33_11
Shane D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I want to thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to your hotel. I want to express my apologies that your stay here did not meet the expectations you look for in a Marriott brand hotel. I want to thank you for bring it to my attention. I would like to have an opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay here, and to maybe find out which room you were in so I can ensure everything is good going forward. Please feel free to call me at the hotel, (901) 384-0010, as your time permits.

Shane Doss
kansas city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am always worried when you have to be buzzed in to any business. That is the first thing I experienced when I got to the Hotel and it was only about 9 pm. When I got inside the staff looked tired and not warm and greeting that you normally find at Marriott. I was only passing through and needed to plot my route carfully since it had snowed in half the country a few days previously. When I went to travel center where Marriott keeps their computers for the guest I noticed that there was ans out of order sign. I needed a desk top to check the route that I would take next to avoid potential bad weather. The clerk did help me by turning one of the screens behind the counter and letting me use the mouse for searching to get the task done although it was quit awkward. Marriott needs to work harder to make this inviting for travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank curt1480
Shane D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Good day sir! First I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with our hotel, Fairfield Inn & Suites. I appreciate anyone taking the time to tell us about the time at the hotel no matter if they are negative or positive comments--Each is shared with staff and used as a learning experience.

I want to apologize for the items that you noted in your comments. While it is typical in hotels in Memphis to lock the entry door in the later hours of the evening, usually after 11pm or midnight, we should not have it locked prior to that. Of course, existing guests have complete access with their room keys to the building at any hour. And while we strive to ensure our business center is stocked with supplied and equipment is fully functional, I believe we were in the process of replacing the computer during your visit. I am glad the desk staff was resourceful enough to offer up their workstation so you could complete your tasks.

Your experiences are not typical, and I do apologize you had to experience them during your travel through Memphis. I hope that you will look to our hotel again the next time you are coming through town for your rooming needs.
Opelika, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here because the $39/night hotels looked too sketchy. This one looked better, and in general Fairfield Inns are good. We got "the last available room" supposedly, a queen room with a whirlpool. The tub was downright creepy...I'm a bit germophobic anyway, but the bottom of the tub was sort of stained, there was a dried drop of something orange on the edge of the tub, and there was NO way I would consider getting in there. Very thankful there was a separate shower. The cleanliness of the room (aside from the scary tub) was average. A few mold stains in the shower, a hard water stain in the toilet... I did like the heavy layers of curtains that gave a sense of privacy on a ground floor room. The bed linens were nice too. This hotel had noise issues. What must have been the people upstairs showering (or perhaps using their whirlpool?) sounded like some serious construction work going on. We could hear the people upstairs walking around also. This room was at the very end of the hall, and even though it was directly across from the workout room, there was very little noise from the hallway. Outside noise was a serious issue. Around 2am it sounded like a helicopter had landed outside the window, and that noise went on and on for almost an hour. I was too tired to investigate the source, but it was very disruptive. We didn't use the indoor pool, but it appeared to be clean, the water was clear, and the hotel provided towels. Hot breakfast in the morning was fairly typical...waffle iron, scrambled eggs (a few toppings available), boiled eggs, sausage links, muffins, juice, cereal... Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

As a previous reviewer I was upgraded at registration, The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. I was here for business for one night so did not mind that it was a little outside the city as I did not have to fight traffic as I left the next AM. I will probably stay here again on my next trip. The price was unbeatable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leland1962
Shane D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
I want to thank you for the kind words about the staff at our hotel. They are one of our greatest assets. With all of our guests we strive to provide them with a comfortable place away from home, friendly faces throughout the stay, and clean accommodations.

As you experienced, the hotel is located with easy access to the interstate and a chance to avoid some of the traffic which is present in other areas of the city. We look forward to to you visiting our hotel in the near future!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in the middle on January. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. I actually received an upgrade to a suite that had 2 refrigerators in it!

It takes around 20 minutes from the hotel to get downtown. So if you want to see downtown this would not be the best hotel to stay at.

The breakfast was typical Fairfield Inn fair. Jimmy Dean sandwiches for the microwave, cold cereal, yogurt, juice and fruit.

This hotel has a workout room which was a little outdated.

When I return to the area I will look for another hotel instead of staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent visit to your hotel. I a glad the front desk staff continues to deliver friendly service for our guests. We do get several comments about them, and as a manager it makes me happy to see we have a good group of people taking care of our guests.

The options offered with breakfast are standard throughout Fairfield Inn & Suites. However, we do have a few optional items that are not standard such as the freshly made waffles, boiled eggs, and additional breakfast sandwich options.

Many of our guests are satisfied with the workout facilities on site that offer an elipitcal and treadmill for a cardio workout. However, we understand that there are guests that desire a more comprehensive workout. With that, we have suggestions available at the front desk for facilities that are nearby and can accommodate our guests. In addition, Shelby Farms park is just minutes away, and has walking/running trails available from sunrise to sunset.

I want to thank you again for choosing our hotel and offering up your feedback. The comments of the past guests help us ensure we are able to satisfy future guests.