“Really nice manager and staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis
Ranked #58 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel has some of the nicest, most helpful employees I've ever encountered. The room was comfortable and the Wi-Fi worked flawlessly the entire time I was there. The downside though is that the building sits right by the interstate. I could hear cars and sirens all night long as my room faced the highway. I could also hear the people upstairs walking around and banging doors. Also, my room was not as clean as I expect. There was a thin ring of black mildew around the grab bar in the shower. I did not use the breakfast or the pool, so I can't comment on those facilities. The coffee was pretty good though. All in all, I would probably stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor on the back side of the hotel - away from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ron h

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Old hotel. Drive up to the rear of the hotel instead of the front, waited at the front desk to check in while the clerk was outside finishing her smoke. Lobby smells like chlorine from the indoor pool. The carpeting is old and loose in the hallways. The bed was very uncomfortable and the room had a musty odor. In the bathroom, mold was visible on the ceiling. Sofa bed was old and torn. The only reason I stayed after check in was because everywhere was booked--I called around just to make sure.

You can tell that some remodeling as been done but this needs a demo and rebuild.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank excursion_2005
FFMemGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

I apologize that the guest was unhappy with so many aspects of his stay. We strive to ensure that every guest has a positive and comfortable experience at our property. We receive many comments due to the positioning of our hotel. The empty parking lot that you initially pull into does not belong to us and you do, indeed, have to pull around to the front of the building to gain entrance. This is beyond our control but our actual parking lot is well-lit and secure. A church just purchased the empty building next door so I am sure that they will become responsible for maintaining the lighting in their new lot. As far as the condition of the furnishings, we do have older furniture in the rooms but we work hard to maintain a standard of cleanliness. The front desk associate was outside on a smoke break when the guest arrived but I looked at the front desk camera and saw her walk in right behind him. However, I do understand if his initial impression had soured his perspective on everything else at the property. We appreciate all feedback and promise to use it to improve service in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is older. It is oddly located with a huge empty parking lot in front of it. The decor has been recently updated and the layout of the suite I was in was great! In the living room area there was a couch, TV, and even a stereo, which was a nice touch since I'd rather listen to music than watch TV. The age really showed in the bathroom (small) and closet (it had a wooden door that was off the track, and the doorknob kept falling off). The room also had a musty smell. The hotel was doing some upgrades while I was there. A new AC unit was installed right as I checked in and the carpet was cleaned the morning of the second day. (There was a tag left on my door warning me about the carpet being wet.....which I found to be inconvenient.) The staff were all helpful and friendly. This is not a place to stay for pleasure but it works for a quick in and out of town.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Decent staff, few services, property getting a bit long in the tooth, and nothing attractive/special about the property (to the rear is a massive, sprawling, un-unsed parking lot, to the front is I-40). For a roadside stop driving cross-country it does the job. I noticed that this is where older Courtyard furniture seemed to land to live out its final useful days. However for nearly $100/night, find a Motel 6 - aside from a wanna-be breakfast and small indoor pool, there's not much difference. The value just wasn't there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank easystreets1
oconnorjo, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

We appreciate your comments regarding the Fairfield Inn Memphis. We will use this to help improve our facility.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP

Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel recognized platinum members, with a free snack, water and points. All requests were granted. Breakfast had a good selection to choose from. Waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, selections of breads for toast and english muffins. They also had great selections for cold cereal, granola and hot oatmeal. The cooler had milk, egg sandwiches, corn dogs, mixed fruit and grapefruit. Coffee and juice. The area for breakfast is too small, people kept getting in each others space.

The room needs updated, you can tell it is off an interstate.

Hotel staff, friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Spent one night here on a trip from Missouri to Florida and I'm glad we did. Rolled in around 8:30 without a reservation and Phyllis at the front desk was very pleasant and got us a suite for a great price! Yes, the property is in the back of an abandoned parking lot, but for me it created just the right amount of separation necessary to provide for a quiet night's sleep. Our room was clean and plenty roomy enough. We didn't stick around for the breakfast, but for what we needed (comfy bed in a clean room at a fair price) it was just perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel, away from the highway.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed here Jan 2012 - booked with priceline (52 east memphis). Not a terrible place but not what I would expect from a Marriot chain. Check in was no problem, less than 2 minutes. Room was very small, even with only 1 bed. I can't imagine what a 2-bed room would look like, probably incredibly crammed. The bathroom was a decent size though. The bed was comfy and I slept well. But try to get a room on the backside of the hotel. It was confusing when I entered the parking lot - which is enormous (I think an outlet mall used to be located here and was torn down) and as you enter the parking lot you see the back side of the hotel. There wasn't a single car and I was concerned it might be closed, but as you pull around to the other side of the building you see the front - facing the interstate. There are gigantic flood lights in the parking lot in front of the building right in front of the windows. The room was actually brighter with the lights off at night. It took some crafty furniture placement to pin the drapes shut to keep most of the light out.

The fitness room was a joke. Just an eliptical and a treadmill with a tv. It's about the size of a janitors closet so you can't even do any calisthenics or plyos. There was a sign posted about an option to use a nearby gym for free as a hotel guest - but I didn't have the time to go. There is also an indoor pool and hot tub which looked pretty inviting.

As far as amenities go it wasn't a bad place. Breakfast was good and free, but no hot food. They have the do-it-yourself waffles that every hotel is in love with but I'm not a fan, and they also have breakfast sandwiches you can microwave. Also cereal, fruit, mini muffins, bagels, yogurt, etc. Internet was free and worked fine, and parking was free and obviously plentiful. Business center also worked as well as I needed it to.

I just wasn't a fan of the hotel location. It's right off of the interstate but at an exit that doesn't seem to be really near to anything. There's some fast food places nearby but not many restaurants. Also, there's a local college right next door, and the only access to it is via the road running along the parking lot - and it is flooded in the morning with traffic. It took me about 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot, but even then due to the really fast changing light at the intersection I had to take a roundabout way and turn around to get around the light fast enough to get to work.

Again, not a terrible hotel, and not many gripes about it, but I just wasn't overly impressed. I'd say you get exactly what you pay for here.

Room Tip: book w/ priceline, also ask for a room at the rear of the hotel away from the lights in the parking...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business