“Excellent - can't say enough good things”

Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis-Shady Grove Road
Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at the Hampton Inn during Elvis week 2007. The reviews we received from Trip Advisor (who we really rely on to get the best locations) were spot on.

The location is great - close to Graceland, airport and downtown. We did not rent a car because we thought it would be too manic at this time of year with Elvis fans, but the #50 bus stops at the top of the road (on Poplar Ave) and goes straight through to the bus station in town. You can get a free transfer for the tram to take you along Main Street - and all for $1.50/person.

The hotel is lovely. Our room was big, clean and the beds were ultra comfy. The free breakfast was great - mixture of hot/cold food and free coffee 24/7 in the lobby.

The staff were more than accomodating and you were never without a greeting; but we found all of Memphis to be like this so it was no surprise.

When we checked out we went to the airport only for our flight to be cancelled to the next day. I phoned the Hampton (even though all other hotels were booked because of Elvis Week) and they came to pick us up in the shuttle and had a room ready for us! Thanks for sparing us a night in the airport!

I would truly recommend this hotel and when we go back to Memphis we will stay here again. I would recommend renting a car though. It looks quite easy to get around and there were lots of parking places in the downtown.

All in all a most memorable and enjoyable stay...even if Elvis did not make a come back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Caperintheuk

Reviewed July 3, 2007

My fiancé, a few friends, and I were in town for a wedding - this was one of the hotels reserved for guests. There were 6 of us, and we were able to get a suite with an adjoining room for a very reasonable rate. The continental breakfast in the morning was very nice, but about 1/2 an hour before it closes, if the food ran out, many items were not refilled. The hotel provides you with a complimentary copy of USA Today each weekday, which is a really nice touch. There was an issue with the shuttle that was supposed to transport us to the wedding, and the gentleman at the front desk immediately contacted a neighboring hotel to give us all a ride. The fitness center is small but nice, too. Overall, a really nice experience!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Katyydidd
Reviewed November 6, 2006

this place is great. the location is convenient to the airport as well as to downtown memphis and there are many shops and restaurants nearby. it is in a safe and rather upscale area. the tour buses or shuttles will pick you up here and deliver you back. there is a restaurant in the hotel next door so you don't even have to drive to have a nice meal. i found the front desk staff to be outstanding and they were fully booked and understaffed that weekend. they had brochures for information we requested and also graciously gave us driving directions. the complex is a basic hampton inn but is clean and well cared for. the complimentary breakfast was more than adequate. we appreciated having the free internet in the lobby as well as the wifi connection in the room. overall, i considered this hampton to be an excellent value. would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jamimi
Reviewed October 4, 2006

I rebooked at this location after a great stay in March. I was very impressed with this hotel especially for the value. On this stay we had an excellent suite for only $107/night. It was nicer than most hotel suites I've stayed in with full kitchen, comfortable bed, large... The location is great as it's near just about everything. There is an Embassy Suites just next door with a restaurant/bar that served good food and drinks - a little pricy but very convenient. The staff is very helpful, it's in a very nice area in Memphis - very safe. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank spkjones
Reviewed August 16, 2006

When you have been on the road for 15 days with three kids you want something clean, safe, well priced, and fun! This Hampton was all of the above!

We had wanted to stay at the Embassy next door and ended up here as the Embassy was full. It turned out to be great! I am rather picky about our hotels and the size of the king suite was nice and the layout really fine! I walk around and inspect for cleanliness and I thought it was fine.

I was welcomed nicely as I walked in the door and checked in. The entry was nice, the breakfast area spotless (the best on the trip), the breakfast lovely, and the pool looked good although we didn't have time to swim. The room was clean (one or two stains on the carpet but no big deal) and exactly as it was described. The area surrounding the hotel was very nice and next to a nice Embassy Suites which has ducks swimming in the interior pond. The Embassy had a lovely Italian restaurant which we could enjoy as a family with $4.00 children entrees. If you don't like Italian there were plenty of restaurants in the area of this Hampton.

We visited Graceland and stayed at a hotel closer to it when we arrived in Memphis before the driving part of our vacation. If we had it to do over we would have chosen this hotel for that night too.

What a nice end to our trip!

7  Thank PickyMom111
Reviewed November 7, 2005

We are great fans of Hampton Inns, having discovered our first one in Charleston. (They don't have the chain in the UK.)
Just before getting the flight, Hilton Honors upgraded our loyalty card to a Gold Card, and on arriving, we were given a superb big room with a balcony, from which the music of Beale Street could be clearly heard.
The room, of course, was spotless and well-equipped, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
My one quibble about the chain is the fact that they avoid washing-up by supplying only plastic throw-away cutlery, so we always take our own.
We were even invited down to the lobby for free drinks and food, while we watched a football game one night.
Great staff, great hotel, great location.

6  Thank HarryLTW
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I makes me wonder about a hotel when there are very few photos of it on the internet. But, I took a chance on this one based on previous reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel sits about two blocks off of Poplar Ave and I-240. I took the long way to the hotel from the zoo (worth the trip to see the panda bears!) down Poplar Ave, but you get to see plenty of places to eat at. The hotel seems to be in a safe and upscale area. There was plenty of parking in front of the hotel, as well as around the hotel. The hotel lobby was very nice, with hardwood floors. The front desk staff seemed to be more friendly at check-in than check-out, but they were no were near rude. My hotel room was clean and I had a pool view. At previous Hampton Inns, my room came with a small fridge and micro, but this room only had the fridge. I cannot complain about the room: clean, neat, bedding was comfortable, bathroom was clean, pay-per-view movies on the TV, fairly new furniture, carpet was clean. The breakfast in the morning was great! It had all the usual stuff plus yogart, biscuits, sausage. There was also a small "store" attached to the front desk that had toiletries, drinks (alcohol too), snacks. Also, there was a free "internet station" in the lobby. Overall, this hotel was well worth what I paid for it but I have stayed at similiar quality Hampton Inns for less money. I guess the rate was attributed to peak travel season (summer).

• Stayed: August 2005