“Loved it... already booked another stay in March”

Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis-Shady Grove Road
Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Indiana
“Loved it... already booked another stay in March”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great hotel!! Stayed over one night on way back from TX vacation. Booked a King suite w/a kitchen and to be honest just figured it would be a small sink w/a microwave and dorm fridge. We were quite surprised when we walked into the room and we had a full size fridge, dishwasher, dishes, pots and pans, sink, and overhead microwave. There was even a small table w/chairs to eat dinner. Bedroom was spacious and incredibly comfy w/flat screen tv. In the living area there was sleeper sofa that according to my very picky mother was very comfy. Plenty of towels provided even tho there was only 3 of us (one being a 5 y/o) and the whole room was incredibly clean. Guest services were great - I had misplaced my key card 10 minutes after checking in (I dropped it in my overstuffed computer bag...lol) and the clerk quickly and without complaint gave me a 2nd card (even though I declined it at check in). Every staff member we came in contact with was very pleasant - from the housekeepers, grounds guys, and front desk. The complimentary breakfast was great - I was thinking typical continental breakfast but our options included eggs, ham, grits, fried potatoes, danishes, bagels, and lots of fruit and drink options. You also have 24 hour access to coffee, tea, and hot cocoa If your stay includes a trip to Graceland it is only 12 miles away and with traffic it only took us 15 minutes.

One negative - the area is a business district so traffic is a giant pain but you can't fault the hotel for that. Unfortunatly for us, we arrived during rush hour on a Thursday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This Hampton Inn is located in a very nice area of Memphis and one of the safest. We stayed in a king room which was especially nice because there were two sinks. (Great shower too!) The hotel was very clean, well-maintained and the employees were all extremely efficient and friendly. Parking is on-site and free. Numerous restaurants are located nearby as is access to I-240 and Poplar Avenue, a major thoroughfare. Free breakfast is included but I can't provide any insight because we didn't eat. If you want the best barbecue in Memphis, be sure to eat at THE BARBECUE SHOP. My husband lived in Memphis for many years and swears this is the best in town: I've eaten at many others, including the Rendezvous and I agree: don't miss it!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room away from the elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I were tired and exhausted from the Memphis heat and found this to be a wonderful oasis. I have found myself in several Hampton Inns recently and pleased with all, but this was simply the best from courteous, thoughtful check-in to late (1:30 PM) check-out. Great location in East Memphis and sparkling and great value. I had read positive TripAdvisor reviews before booking and I affirm the high ratings.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ironduke67
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Breakfast was large, hot and tasty! Not the typical Hampton Inn breakfast experience. The pool is outdoors and small. The suite room was medium sized with full kitchen including dishwasher. Towels felt cheap and less than usual hotel quality, like sandpaper on your skin.

• Stayed August 2011
florida
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were very delighted with our stay at this hotel...We got a lovely two room suite for under $100 over the weekend. Absolutely beautiful room and very comfortable, including the bed...Breakfast was a delight. Hot scrambled eggs with sausage and peppers and hot tortillas....along with the other traditional waffles, muffins, bread, cereal, fruit, etc....
The lobby was very modern and lovely....as well as the front desk personnel and every other hotel employee....We loved our stay here and highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fltam
Tennessee
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My tennis team recently stayed at The Hampton Inn & Suites S. Shady Grove Road in Memphis for three night stay and it was a very pleasant experience for everyone. The front office was very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were comfortable, breakfast buffet was exceptional as were those working at the breakfast buffet. Good value - conveniently located to good restaurants and to the tennis courts. Our team would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Central City, Kentucky
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel last year because we were regulars at the Hampton Inn Poplar Avenue location, but they were booked up the weekend we were coming, so we tried this hotel.

We were not disappointed at all. It just so happened that this hotel was booked up except for the suite accommodations, so we went ahead and splurged. It was very nice! The suite let my growing family spread out a bit and included a separate King bedroom and a living room/kitchenette area in a second room and a very large bathroom suite. It also lived up to the quality in decor and furnishing that I am used to with the Hilton brand.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and their complimentary hot breakfast was even better than the Poplar Avenue locations. The location is a quiet one in a good part of town but is not very close to downtown, but not a bad or confusing drive either.

I must say that all the Hilton/Hampton brands in Memphis are the right way to go!

Room Tip: very helpful staff! Just make a request!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family