“Wade in the Water”
Review of Memphis Zoo

Memphis Zoo
Ranked #4 of 159 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: YaYa, a female Giant Panda that calls the Memphis Zoo home, enjoys a sunny day.
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I have been to most of the larger zoo's in the country and I have not been to one as visitor friendly as this one. The activities and events cater to people of all ages and interests. The food is even good. My family enjoyed the CA Sea Lion and Polar Bears most. The area dedicated to Cheif Joseph is really nice too. The keepers obviously view the animals as more than just work. The informant docents are great too. One of the most special things that can be done is wading in the Nile River. You can make the Memphis Zoo an all day event.. It is a must see and do zoo!

1  Thank ThanksCoach

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Trip Advisor is right on about the Memphis Zoo. I have been to the San Diego Zoo, the National Zoo in Washington, DC and the Totonto Zoo in Ontario. Memphis is excellent. The animals are in nice habitats and they are all very close. You can see them all! It is not too big and not too small. The new Teton Trek makes you feel like you are in Yellowstone. My family and I watched the black bears play right there in front of them. If you are in the mid-south area make a stop at the Memphis Zoo!

Reviewed July 4, 2010

We went on a Tuesday in June (a free day for Tennessee residents later in the day), we got there right when they opened. There was hardly anyone there!. Could be because it was so hot! Anyway my 11 year old daughter and I had fun. The Memphis Zoo is very nice and clean and the animal habitats are so natural. We mainly came to see the pandas. We were able to spend at least 30 minutes by ourselves watching them, taking pictures, etc. We came back later for the Panda Chat by the zookeeper, this was very informative. We loved the Memphis Zoo and the pandas! Hope to come back when it's cooler sometime! (Oh by the way the pandas are kept inside behind glass when it's very hot).

Reviewed June 5, 2010

This has always been a nice zoo, and it just keeps getting nicer. The Northwest Passage exhibit (Sea Lions and Polar Bears) and the Teton Trek exhibit (Timber Wolves and Grizzlies) are just amazing. If you're in luck the polar bears will be in their interactive mode, swimming up to the glass to look at the children. Just charming. The attention to detail in the Teton Trek exhibit is Disney-esque (and I mean that in the best possible way - it's like a mini-Wilderness Lodge!). We also love the Animals of the Night, Cat Country and Primate Canyon. The sea lion show is a major draw too. Oh, and pandas are just adorable, munching on bamboo like kings. It's a lot of walking, but what an enjoyable way to get exercise. Recently, the food concessions here went from zero to hero. Today, I had a spicy black bean burger/sweet potato fries combo. YUM! In addition to the grill, there's also a deli, starbucks coffee and an asian food station near the Pandas. In the main dining area (Cat House Cafe, which is housed in what USED to be the Cat House), there's a monkey exhibit next door, and the friendly little monkey likes to sit in the windows and put his hand on the glass -- waiting for you to do the same. Sometimes it seems like the animals are enjoying the people as much as the people are enjoying the animals. What's not to like?

Reviewed June 3, 2010

We live close to Memphis , so we are going there often. The improvements to the habitats are constant and it is one of the nicest Zoos I've ever seen. The Zoo offers chats with keepers, several shows and gift shops. Kids' favorite is the new birds and bees exhibit, where you get to see bees up close and feed the parakeets. The new Tetton trek has a replica of the geyser with shooting water, where kids can splash on the hot days, so bring the swimsuit if you like. Th Zoo is one of my favorite attractions to visit with the family.

1  Thank Alikcvalik