“Yum”
Review of The Old Forge

The Old Forge
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: IMPORTANT NOTICE: We will be closed for heavy maintenance the 21st, 22nd and 23rd on August 2017 .
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Good food grumpy staff but being paid to be happy is overrated. Would defers go again. I highly recommend the seafood

1  Thank JonnyRough

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We ate at the restaurant on Tues May 22.

We ate at an earlier time than we wanted, because the owner told us he was booked up at a later time. However, when we returned to the pub after taking a short postprandial walk, we found it virtually deserted at the time it was supposed to be totally booked up. Odd.

My wife had the "fish soup" starter. Unfortunately this did not contain even the slightest scrap of fish and at 7 quid was a very pricy tomato soup. A case for trading standards to investigate, to be honest.

For the main I had the mussels and my wife the scallops. Both of these were extremely mediocre quality, small portions, and unimaginatively cooked. Certainly by far the weakest meal we had during a two-week stay in Scotland (including food from various fish and chip vans).

The pint of Remotest real ale was fine. There also have Belgian Kriek (cherry beer) on tap. In theory this could be recommended. Unfortunately, in a move to boost (falling?) profits, the owner -- without asking -- tries to put as much ice in the glass as he can get away with. Make sure you tell him not to put the ice in (or to take it out), otherwise a substantial part of your 5 quid pint will consist of very expensive frozen tap water. He looked fairly irritated when I asked him to do so, but reading the other reviews, that is not too surprising.

1  Thank Ian Finlay S
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Feels like i have (not so) politely been mugged. We spent £80 in total and i still walked away feeling hungry. They know they have a captive market being the only restaurant in town, however i would still recommend cooking on your camp stove over eating here. When i asked if there was a veggie option, i was told "No, we have the best seafood in the world". They didn't offer to make an veggie main for me. Instead I ate the watered down veggie soup, the small (£5) potion of chips, and the basic (£4) side salad. Not what you have been dreaming of after a full day of hill walking. When in came to desert (£7) I ordered the chocolate mouse, for the owner to bring me ice cream, then argue with me when i told him otherwise. Overall the experience was terrible and i would recommend steering clear.

Upon arriving home to Edinburgh I spoke to my friend about my experience, even she had heard that the restaurant had been taken over by a Belgian owner that had totally ruined what once was a great restaurant. Bad news travels fast.

5  Thank Lucy E
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A friendly pub with a great atmosphere has been ruined by a horrible landlord. The Belgian owner is only interested in milking as much money out of you with a minimum of customer care.

Do you have tomato sauce asked one of our party. No is the answer & he stomps off. He demanded that we had exact change to buy drinks. Generally glowered at his customers.

A meal out is not just about the food. I would say for a remote location prices were what you’d expect, expensive. Food quality was ok, but one member of party who ate mussels was ill that night.

This is such a contrast to my last visit, where a bustling pub had friendly staff & a great night. Apparently a new restaurant is opening in Knoydart. Go there & avoid the old forge.

7  Thank John M
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked a meal for a large group of people May 18. Service was dreadful, both male staff were rude and off hand. Plates literally dropped on the table and then taken away, even when other people were still eating. No time to to let food settle between course and to top it all off I was violently ill 4 times and have 7 witnesses who had to hear me vomitting during the night. These place is not doing Knoydart any favours. Knoydart Foundation people were really nice as were the people in the tea room on the water front. Eat in the tea room before you go to The Old Forge, which only a few years ago was great, had atmosphere and was a great place to go after a day on the hills.

9  Thank Young9000