“Once again a total dissapointment ...”
Review of The Old Forge

The Old Forge
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: IMPORTANT NOTICE: We will be closed for heavy maintenance the 21st, 22nd and 23rd on August 2017 .
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Once again a total dissapointment ...”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I first visited the Old Forge in 2005, and rated the seafood platter the finest I'd ever tasted. Local Garden Produce salads, kitchen baked bread and quality fish and shellfish such as I've never eaten before. Since then I have returned on average every 18 months only to be totally disappointed. This last time was no exception, except that it was worse than all the other times. No seafood platter was available, though there were mussels and scallops in some form of curried sauce (yuck), and I had the Muoles Marinere as a starter and fish and chips as a main course. The mean proportion of Mussels were over cooked, the sauce poor and cost more then I've ever paid for this dish as a starter, and the fish and chips would have been better from the chippy. The salad was a poor, poor copy of previous ones. All in all the worst visit since 2005.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank howardeawilliams
OldForgeKnoydart, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Forge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your visit to us. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and ensure all guests satisfaction. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the hospitality experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to email us direct where we may be able to look into your comments more fully. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter.

Your sincerely
The Old Forge Management

“Je ne regrette rien!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to visiting this establishment and sample some fine dining in stunning scenery. However, I was to be disappointed, the food was ok, not superb, somewhat overpriced. Atmosphere was lacking I am afraid to say.

• Visited July 2013

Your sincerely
The Old Forge Management
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great, fresh fare and wonderful staff!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's hard to top muching seafood plucked fresh from the loch, whilst soaking up the sun setting over Loch Nevis! What a place!

Visited July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Old Forge. we are delighted you had a great experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Knoydart soon.

Yours sincerely

The Old Forge Management Team
Buckinghamshire
“Small portions? You must be kidding!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was amazed to see the poor reviews published recently. Small portions? - after a hard day's walking only one of us four men managed to finish their main course. No complaints about the quality of the food either. My friend's son had the same pasta dish two nights running it was that good. I was astonished to see Marston's IPA at the bar, all the way from Wiltshire, and it was excellent. Yes the prices are high but I would expect to pay a premium in a restaurant where everything has to come by boat.

I understand it is under new ownership - give them a break, it's really not that bad...

Visited June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Old Forge. We welcome all feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Knoydart again soon.

Yours sincerely

The Old Forge Management Team
Edinburgh
“A great location”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

But the food's not as good as it could be...Portions are small-ish. However still an awesome experience.

Visited June 2013