“Friendly service, tasty food and BIG servings”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Forge

The Old Forge
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: IMPORTANT NOTICE: We will be closed for heavy maintenance the 21st, 22nd and 23rd on August 2017 .
Edinburgh
“Friendly service, tasty food and BIG servings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had lunch there in October. Friendly efficient service with a big smile, delicious hearty food and big portions.

I ordered soup and a game terrine, both delicious but my eyes were bigger than my tummy, well I did not expect such generous portions. I ended up making a sandwich with the terrine, salad and lovely bread (doorsteps) that came with the soup. They were kind enough to clingfilm it for me and I had it on the ferry later that afternoon. It was seriously worth it, delicious ! (By the way, I'm not a great game fan but I gobbled this up no problem.)

I have to agree that is was not cheap BUT it was not extortionate and I was more than happy to pay the price for the quality and quantity we got. We will most definitely visit again and recommend it.

• Visited October 2012

berlin
“Great bar but food not always up to scratch for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have eaten and drunk here many times of the years and have always had a great night. The pub has a nice friendly atmosphere and the owner is very jovial.

The food is usually really good but I have had a few dishes which were not that great - especially for the price. At least once I asked for a discount on a course and was met with no argument.

Can get really busy in summer so it is advisable to book a table in advance. It does tend to get quieter by around 10pm once the food has stopped. Good selection of drinks available. The menu in winter is reduced which is understandable but there is always something worth having. Highly recommended,

• Visited August 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

A good atmosphere with reasonable vaue and choice. Service slow but it was very busy so booking recommended.

Visited August 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wonderful in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just delightful, full of happy people enjoying the atmosphere, singing to the music and loving this most remote highland pub.
Excellent local seasonal produce of a high standard served by friendly staff in an outstanding settings. Must be added to you to do list!

• Visited September 2012
West Yorkshire
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We finally made it to Inverie this year after several failed attempts - beaten by weather and adverse forecasts. It was worth the wait!

I had heard mixed reviews of the Old Forge (in particular that it can be full of Hooray-Henrys and was trading on its reputation). Completely wrong! We picked up a mooring and booked a table for two. The atmosphere was great - full of locals, walkers, yachties, all chatting and friendly. We swapped stories with the couple at the table next to us.

The seafood was out of this world - I have never eaten such fantastic scallops anywhere. My husband had a venison burger which he thoroughly enjoyed and I picked at his chips which were the best I have eaten ever, any where in the world.

The view from the window, across the sealoch, is fabulous. The waiting staff were lovely. All in all, a wonderful evening - and we will be back!!

• Visited June 2012