All reviews the river master room baguette lovely hotel top floor excellent food fish and chips set us up for the day haggis high standard isle of skye lovely setting black pudding en route hotel restaurant main road comfy bed
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed in an apartment in the adjacent River Court and visited the bistro on two occasions for dinner. Not only did this allow us to enjoy the food but allowed me, in particular, to sample the fine draught ale available.

We had a variety of food including starters and would thoroughly recommend the burger and the venison

Service was friendly and quick and would certainly return should we be in the area again

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank DLANN1966
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fourth time we have stayed here, always a delight. Friendly staff that go out there way to help, great food, very comfortable rooms, I think we have stayed in most of the rooms. No faults. We will keep coming back here without a doubt. Pleasure to stay here.

Date of stay: March 2013
3  Thank GraemeJSharp
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stopped here as we were impressed with how nice,welcoming and attractive the exterior was.The interior was also very nice-fires blazing and nice decoration.The bistro bar was lovely and the staff welcoming.I have owned and run restaurants in the Highlands for 22 years. I have to say the menu is slightly over priced but I can fully understand the costs associated with trading in a remote location.
However the food was just not well cooked.The chef is obviously ambitious but our soup was tasteless.The main course we choose was braised pork cheeks.Ok we may have chosen badly but they were inedible.Huge hunks of braised fat with small pockets of meat therein.This type of cut may be all the rage in catering schools but the execution here was dire.I would challenge anyone to truthfully say they enjoy munching on chunks of braised lard.
We picked out the morsels of pork,enjoyed the garlic mash and red cabbage very much but had to leave the bulk of the "pork".
I pointed out that the main course was not really cooked in a manner that was edible.I was met with a comment that implied that pork cheeks were an acquired taste...mmm.Seems like the parable of The Emperors New Clothes.
Paid around £50 for two cokes, two starters and two pork mains which we in all honesty could not force ourselves to eat.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Ballater-Hostel
invergarryhotel, General Manager at Invergarry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

A fellow hotelier and restauranteur who is self proclaimed been in the business 22 years - and you spend your time giving bad reviews on tripadvisor ?

Mmmmmm ? .......................... no comment

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night while travelling ( Oct 2012) We arrived having no reservation. The receptionist was most polite and welcoming. The the room we had was on the front. It was clean, warm with a very comfy bed. There was a log fire burning in the sitting room and the hotel had a very friendly feel. Our evening meal was delicious!! and breakfast was equally as good.
We recently called at the hotel while travelling again ( April 2013 ) This time we had lunch only.
There was a sign outside saying food was avaliable at lunch so we called in and yet again we were delighted with the quality of the food served. Home made soup and locally caught salmon. Delicious. Staff were friendly and helpfull. We would gladly recommend this hotel to friends and family. Good value for money.

Room tip: We had a room overlooking the road and stream, it was quiet with a good view.
2  Thank CarolAH1
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night en route to Skye. The hotel is a lovely building with a 'hunting lodge' feel to it. Our bedroom was on the top floor so we had to contend with sloping ceilings which we had to dodge now and then, it was furnished very tastefully, tea and coffee were available, large shower room with some toiletries included - the bed was firm which didn't suit me but apart from that everything was perfect. We ate in the hotel restaurant which apparently has Michelin recommendation and I can understand why - the food was divine! In the evening we sat with a drink in one of the lounges where an open fire was blazing, the hotel staff went to bed and asked us to make sure the fireguard was up and switch off lights before we turned in - we did not feel in the least obliged to go to our rooms. I would definitely return to this hotel, I think the owners are doing a grand job!

1  Thank CautherMary