“Unexpected Unpretentious Little Gem”
Review of Cafe Rhu

Cafe Rhu
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Arisaig
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I randomly found myself in Arisaig on Valentines Day on the hunt for home cooked food after a few days out in the hills eating Cous Cous (!!) and I was delighted to have found Cafe Rhu.

It does have a lovely sea view, but whatever - I was hungry and looking for food!

I entered pretty much just on opening time and the chef cheerily welcomed me at the door as the kitchen is right in front of the entrance. He said that there was plenty of space upstairs so I went up and found a seat near the window.

I was very hungry so the waitress took my order within a few minutes and I ordered a pot of tea, the Scrambled Eggs on Toast and the Cheese Burger with Chips.

The Scrambled Eggs were delicious! They were creamy and buttery and were so good I actually asked the chef for the recipe when I was leaving. Ever since the visit I have been trying to recreate the correct combination off egg, cream, butter and seasoning at home but have failed :(

The Cheese Burger was decent, not my favourite in the world as I personally did not really like the type of buns used but it was fresh and the chips hit the spot nicely.

I really enjoyed this unpretentious little cafe, the lady with the pierced nose serving was very friendly as was the chef (the only 2 staff working while I was there) even though they were both kept busy with a constant flow of diners.

Ive read some of the other critical reviews and I just cant understand that we are reviewing the same place. I'd definitely recommend this place and will happily drive the few extra miles back to Arisaig for those Scrambled Eggs!

2  Thank MrEDiner

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Superb hearty breakfast in a lovely cafe in the picturesque village of Arisaig. Proper full cooked breakfast(no cardboard here) which my other half struggled to finish! Service with a smile. Must go back for an evening meal.

1  Thank Camasunary
Reviewed January 8, 2014

What a great find on a very wet and windy day last week! Staff were friendly and welcoming, food was freshly cooked and very tasty. I would highly recommend this cafe/restaurant to anybody in the area.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I came here for dinner one night and had the Dover Sole, which was a special. It was cooked to perfection and was just delicious. The service was good and the view was absolutely beautiful.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Once I discovered this cafe I visited it three times across the week! It is in a great location, right by the harbour in Arisaig. The food, freshly prepared, is locally sourced and absolutely delicious. The staff are all lovely, professional, friendly and do their utmost to ensure every visit is a pleasant, relaxing experience.

The three lunches I had were all excellent BUT it was the two cream teas I had that were superb-large home made scones, home made jam from raspberries grown across the loch and served with fresh fruit too!