“Great Hotel!!!”

Ledgowan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Achnasheen
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I and my spouse stayed in this hotel in the beginning of May for 3 nights. We were very astounded by the hotel. Everything was on very high level. Room was excellent. Food was marvelous. If you want to have good rest from hassle of big cities and to see real nature you should without any doubt choose this hotel. We will definitely stay in this hotel during our next trip in Scotland. I forgot to say that hospitality has been also on very high level. This is the place where you want to come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here 26-27th April and it was amazing. Staff were excellent, made us feel very welcome nothing was too much trouble. the whole place is so chilled out, big lobby, roaring fire, perfect for a relaxing break. Our room had a massive four poster bed (my partner is 6'4) so that was a bonus & we had a settee & armchair with coffe table in the room. The room including bathroom was spotlessly clean & had a bath (which can be a rarity in many hotels these days) & was well needed after climbing Bein Eighe! Other hotel guests were lovely & we stayed up chatting until the early hours on the settees in front of the fire with our whiskys! Even on our departure Craig offered to fill our flask with coffee for the journey ahead.
Perfect in all areas, can't say any other! Will be visiting again!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

its hard because there was nothing really 'wrong' but was far from right. Little things like ordered a bottle of wine and it was just plonked on the table without pouring however the quality of the wine just fabulous. Been a long time since I had an avacado bathroom suite but it was clean and tidy. Staff friendly but inexperienced and unaware of local villages and points of interest. My main issue would be the lack of atmosphere. We went there for a quiet time but a little quiet backround music in the bar, restaurant, reception room would have been very welcome. A small pet peev was when I ordered cheese for dessert the grapes were frozen solid (they may have been left in the cold larder too long however, frozen grapes are just wrong) and after ordering the fillet steak (which was lovely) I had to ask for a steak knife. Granted we went when it was cold but I still wouldnt expect to have to use a fan heater in a hotel room. So much potential and gorgeous surroundings, I'm still delighted we went

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lou3003
manager3, Guest Relations Manager at Ledgowan Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thanks for your review. We are pleased you are delighted you came to stay with us. We are also equally delighted as you say, you found “nothing wrong”. That night you were served by young Andrew who’s new to the team by just 2 weeks and although lived in Inverness all his life is not so familiar with the West Coast – to be honest he is trying his hardest to learn the hospitality trade and again as you say found him and the rest of the team very friendly so again that’s good and one of our goals achieved. so perhaps he could be forgiven for not knowing to much of the area you were asking him about. However had you have asked myself or Ken we would have been happy to answer your question. We also have a stack of maps and an information stand at reception with flyers in of local things to do and points of interest. We are happy you enjoyed the wine and found the quality to the standard you expected from us, but yes he should have offered to pour your first glass. However he assures me he placed rather than “plonked” the bottle on your table. The silver knives in the restaurant are found by most guests to be fine to use for a tender fillet steak so we don’t generally offer a steak knife in the restaurant, but as you saw it was a pleasure to provide you with one once you requested it. Indeed the grapes we intended to be frozen the chef on sweets tried a trendy twist with the cheese with the frozen grapes to add texture. i believe you have Jamie Oliver to blame for starting that trend – i wouldn’t say it was “just wrong” perhaps not to your liking or what you expected. i believe you were offered some non frozen grapes but declined. you should give them another go they are rather addictive! Its rather like eating grape sorbet.
We are disappointed you felt the atmosphere suffered due to the lack of music, Its hard to please everyone some guest like music some don’t want it at all and want the peace, natural ambiance and atmosphere Ledgowan creates and dose rather well if i may say. bit of a catch 22, we have been condemned in the past for playing it. We placed a fan heater in your room yes, because as you pointed out it was very cold due to the high winds even with the Double glazed sash windows and 95 radiators in the building it was still a little chilly so i guess it proves our commitment to guest satisfaction by providing the heater in your room just in case.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in the bunkhouse for 2 nights. It was warm (in a very cold March!) and the bunks were fine. We were the only occupants (4 of us) so the accomm was adequate. But.....
-just ONE shower room with loo in the same room - in a bunkhouse sleeping 10 people?? (Sinks in rooms do help of course, but that ONE toilet!)
-kitchen is bijou to say the least - a squash for 2 to be in there cooking.
-comfy chairs in the bedrooms, nice. But no communal lunge - just a room with a dining table and chairs.
-no drying room - in a hostel in Scotland??

Better than tenting :-)

Room Tip: Bedrooms are nice - all same size, bunkrooms for 2.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Open during mid Jan which is always a plus. Although, hotel was closed for season.

I was the only one staying in the bunkhouse and I booked that same night. The owner had turned up the heating for my arrival so found it warm and pleasant. Sleeping Bunks and rooms were clean, with clean mattress covers.

There is only one shower and my room had a sink. The kitchen is small. If bunkhouse full It would be easier to be prepared and have a combined meal ready just to heat up. Or, if open eat in hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mollie18
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here as we happened to be up this direction on a very warm bank holiday weekend. our first choices of hotels weren't available as our trip was unplanned and last minute. The entrance foyer is incredibly grand and impressive, large open fires, stags heads, shields, tartan, all great stuff for the visitor to see.
We arrived around 19:30 and paid £105 for a double room, which my son & I shared (no twin rooms left), we were put into Room 101, but when quizzed about if that's where the staff put all the motorcycling community we were met with blank expressions. :-) Humour aside, the place was very nice, but does drop the scores due to the process for food ordering.

We were advised that the last bar food had to be ordered within the next half hour (which would have been maybe eight or half past?), then the same menu applies from that time on, but it's a minimum spend of £22.50 in the restaurant only. I'm not big on pointless rules and being in the service industry myself, I do try and give my clients 110% of what they expect. This did put a damper on my experience, but confused the hell out of the Dutch and Italian tourists that were enjoying mellowing out in the bar, who had to gather their crowd and get their order in before the bar food curfew was applied.

The food was good, breakfast too, but the whole application of absurd rules for dining just spoiled an otherwise very fine hotel experience. We ate well, drank and settled down in the very well apportioned rooms at the main entrance foyer and just off.

I would stay again, and in particular for those wishing to see some authentic local architecture and Scottish internal features, this would be ideal. The management and their rules just need to chill a little and this would be a near ideal hotel. (I did bear witness to the bar staff attempting to justify the bar food V restaurant menus, I sat on the brink of explaining this was not what 'Scottish Hospitality' was meant to be.)

It's maybe a small point, but it these little points that make the difference between a truly enjoyable stop over and the biggest factor of deciding whether or not I'd return or recommend as a place to stay. Plus for what its worth, the restaurant was nice and looked good, but it's the mere principle of an imposed curfew and a 30% increase in cost for the same dish that proved simply irksome.

Room Tip: Many rooms have astounding views. Try for one of these. Bar food is good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My partner & I stayed at the Ledgowan Lodge on their 2 night winter special deal on the overnights of the 1st & 2nd of december 2012. I was a little apprehensive after some of the recent reviews but I was bowled over by the lodge, the setting and the hospitality.

The winter deal was excellent value for money and included a bottle of champagne (not cava or proseco mind). The lodge has been rufurbished to an excellent standard and the log fire & numerous stags heads really set it off. We had a wonderful large room which was beautifully furnished with generous en suite and fabulous views out over the torridon range which was transformed overnight into a picture postcard view by a generous snow-fall. Despite this, the roads were kept clear and we enjoyed a great day touring the area. The only negative of note was that the bedroom was cold but Chris brought up an additional heater straight away. We ate in the lodge bar on Saturday night & again I was pleasantly surprised; I set my expectations low due to TA reviews but we each enjoyed our "pub grub". I wouldn't hesitate to go back again! Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank whiskyjill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Achnasheen
The Torridon
#1 of 1 in Poolewe
Dundonnell Hotel
Dundonnell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Little Loch Broom

Been to Ledgowan Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!