“Home from Home”

Cross Haven Guest House
Cross Haven Guest House
Ranked #11 of 25 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at Cross Haven for 2 nights last week over the Bank Holiday (Aug 2012) and I must say I couldn't find fault with it (not that I was looking!) The room was perfect, clean and comfortable. The garden is very well looked after. The owners are Gayle and Mick and are from Yorkshire and they certainly know what they are doing. The building is a former convent, next door to a church and although on a main road it was very quiet. There is ample parking behind the house. Gayle and Mick serve up a fabulous, good quality breakfast. Our room had it's own private bookcase! We will certainly visit again and I can highly recommended Cross Haven. A visit to Portpatrick is an absolute must :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, there are 4. We stayed in Room 3 at the front of the property.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review of our property. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found so much of interest in our beautiful area. It's good to see that people appreciate the garden too... Mick spends a lot of time tending to it. I hope also that you had a good journey home and a good catch up with the old friend you were going to visit on the way. Sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye before you left but look forward to welcoming you back to Cross Haven in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We spent three nights at Cross Haven. This is that sort of family business hotel we like. Cosy and clean rooms, well equipped with teas, coffees etc, nice breakfasts served by the owner, and, what's very important for us, quiet nights (we spend quite a few nights at other Scottish hotels and, well, it is not as it used to be once - more and more people behave badly during the night) - we could sleep without any problem. I recommend Cross Haven strongly, not only for one night for Ireland travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for your very positive review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Cross Haven and got some good quiet nights sleep. I am sorry that we couldn't do much about the weather while you were here but I know you love Scotland and it's not likely to put you off returning. I hope you had a good return journey to Poland and look forward to welcoming you back at Cross Haven in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

First stop of our tour of Scotland. A lovely building and a good location for our plans. Unfortunately on our night there family were having a party...we are deep sleepers and did not trouble us...might if you were a lighter sleeper and just had a feeling we were intruding . Breakfast is a big part of the experience and there was no offer of more tea or toast....but otherwise a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012

We are disappointed that you didn't feel welcome in our home as we work hard to make all guests feel valued and comfortable at all times. The decision to hold the party was made after you had made your booking and I didn't want to put you to the inconvenience of finding alternative accommodation. With hindsight that was probably a mistake and for that we are sorry I would like to point out that the family party was an afternoon BBQ to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, our youngest son's 21st, our other son's first wedding anniversary and our daughter's birthday. It was also a chance to say farewell to my daughter who was leaving the country to start a new life in China. Not the sort of thing we are inclined to do every day. It was also held in a private part of the garden well away from guest bedrooms and was over by 10pm in consideration of guests.
As for your disappointing breakfast, tea,coffee, toast, orange juice etc are unlimited at Cross Haven and I am sorry that you didn't feel that you could ask for more if I inadvertently omitted to offer it. I hope you enjoyed the vegetarian sausages that you requested prior to your arrival.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at Cross Haven for 1 night, prior to catching an early ferry from Cairnryan next morning. The owners, Gayle and Mick, were friendly and welcoming. The B&B accepts dogs, which was ideal for us. Rooms are clean and comfortable, set in immaculate grounds and garden (the building is a former convent, next door to a church). There is ample parking space in an area behind the house. For ferry travellers, cairnryan terminal is only 6 miles up the road and is a straight forward drive. Cross Haven itself is easy enough to find, driving up from the A75, and is only a few mins walk from the town centre, with a good range of takeaways, restaurants, pubs and shops. Large, very good quality breakfast and Mick supplied fresh milk for a cup of tea on arrival. We will certainly stay again, for a future trip to Ireland. Highly recommended. Note to dog owners - take your pet to Agnew Park on the seafront for a walk, 10-12 mins from the B&B.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double, which was upstairs. Nice and roomy, didn't really notice any street noise...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review Cross Haven. I think your assessment of our property is very fair and accurate and your comments about the area provide useful information to potential guests. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights and could easily have stayed longer. Fabulous breakfast and clean comfortable room. Gayle & Mick were very friendly and helpful and recommended some good resteraunts for evening meals. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jaymiller

Thank you for your kind comments. We really appreciate the time people take to share their positive experiences at Cross Haven. Glad you enjoyed your breakfasts.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stayed 1 night after crossing from Belfast in the ferry. Excellent B&B overall, with friendly hosts Gayle and Mick. Would strongly recommend it as a B&B, but get directions from them prior to arrival, if you're not using a car (as I wasn't), as the walk from the ferry terminal can be a bit confusing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed 1 night waiting for the ferry to Northern Ireland. This worked well. The owner, Gayle, was friendly and obliging, the room comfortable and the breakfast hearty and tasty. Little touches we liked were that the towels, tea and coffee supplies etc were all of good quality, Gayle offered us fresh milk for our tea, and she took our breakfast order in the evening, which made everything run smoothly in the morning (important if, like us, you are on a time limit for leaving.) She recommended a good place for our evening meal, which we would not have stumbled across on our own.I would definitely recommend this Band B and book there again if I were travelling via Cairnryan. Our only niggle was the walk around from the parking area with our bags, but Gayle said they are considering a path/ gate to ease this. I noticed they have a downstairs twin room...worth noting if you are travelling with a wheelchair or are of limited mobility. I don't know if you have that mentioned on the info on websites, Gayle? A few years back I struggled to find such rooms when travelling with my old Dad. If you aren't already, make sure you are in any disabled guides eg Radar. Thank you, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CautiousCruiser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
North West Castle Hotel
#3 of 25 in Stranraer
Marine House Hotel
Marine House Hotel
#4 of 25 in Stranraer

Been to Cross Haven Guest House? Share your experiences!