“Worst B&B we've ever stopped at!!!”
Review of The Thistle Inn

The Thistle Inn
and 1 more site!
The Thistle Inn
Ranked #20 of 24 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Nuneaton
“Worst B&B we've ever stopped at!!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arranged this place at the last minute - I wish that I had done more reading! Where to start? How about when we arrived to book in and found the landlady using an industrial grade Hoffman presser doing her bedding. Not a good first immpression!

The room as OK and clean but Jan didn't sleep at all that night (Monday 19th August). I did simply becuase I was tired out by the time we arrived. The bath room was small, tight and had a mixed bathroom suite - like a pink loo with a white seat! Towels, one so-called bath towel and one hand towel, of different patterns. A second bath towel was provided as was a blanket for Jan because the duvet was too small. The advertised wi-fi wasn't working. The biggest shock was breakfast!!!

We were asked if we wanted an egg, I said a fried egg. Fine, except that I didn't get a fried breakfast, I got two fried eggs on a plate. The lass who did them claimed it is was a continental breakfast - as mentioned on the iinternet. I've looked and can't find any mention of it. Anyway, every other continental breakfast I've seen offers crosssiant, a selction of sliced meats and cheeses. I've never seen one that offers fried eggs as well. Not only that we were expected to make our own drinks and toast. The lass who was there to welcome us into the dinning room, the old luong of the pub, was the landylady's 12 year old daughter.

The area the pub is in looks a really rough place and perhaps the owners are trying to fit in with the suroundings, I don't know. One this for sure is that we will not be staying there again, ever!!!

Room Tip: God awful place! Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bitzer59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lancashire
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Good value for money B&B. We wouldn't normally have stayed in this B&B , but being a last minute booking we couldn't find another. We read the reviews and thought oh no, what have we let ourselves in for. Well we were pleasantly surprised, the room was large, clean and the decor was nice. Frieda was lovely, especially with our children. Breakfast was good. Excellent location for the ferry. Overall it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the family rooms, they are huge.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Midlands
Reviewed August 2, 2013

In 50 years of business and personal travel, this is the first time I've had to ASK for soap to be put in the room! (The reason was that I was "travelling light", with only the basics, on a 1-night stay for a family funeral.)
The rooms are set, chalet-style, to the rear of a (closed) pub.
Very basic, clean accommodation - twin room with small shower cubicle, loo and basin across rear of room.
Breakfast was a vaguely surrealistic experience, set in what had been the Lounge of the pub and taken care of by a willing local lady.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hogmanay1

Travelers are raving about these Stranraer hotels

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Me and my partner were attending my friends wedding in Stranraer so we thought get a bnb in the centre of town on arrival no one was there to greet us even though we stated what time we would be there at so she came and let us in the chalet the room was basic 1 double bed n 1 single bed the bed was springy which was uncomfortable the tv was tiny the shower was boggin the first morning I was up at 5am cause the room was freezing cold we got up for breakfast I thought I was going to get a fri up but I got offerd eggs ?? I mean what the hell I paid £120 for 2 nights n I don't even get a decent breakfast so I ate the MANKY eggs n wanted a glass of water which the lady gave me the glass bottom was brown as if it was used as an ash try I wasn't happy nearly spewed my ringer so the next day I decided enough was enough and went to a cafe n left that terrible place DO NOT STAY HERE !

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank Rabkeys
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after a 5 hour journey with an 8 month old baby and 2 other young children. We had booked a family room and ensured the hotel was 'pet friendly' as we had our dog with us also. Upon arrival, a member of staff rang through to the owner as she was unsure where we were staying. The owner at best can be described as terribly rude! I was made to speak to her on the phone where she denied informing me the hotel was pet friendly (web site stated it was but I had enquired over the phone at the time of booking to be certain). She was awful to me on the phone and when I enquired as to whether or not she was going to allow us to stay I was rather abruptly told to put the other lady back on the phone! We were shattered and the baby had had enough. Eventually we were told we would be allowed to stay. Interestingly another couple were sat in the 'bar' (a gloomy room at best) having the exact same problem.

I would question the websites accuracy in its claims of great hospitality! We would certainly NEVER stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank scnra
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was concerned before staying at the Thistle because of the other reviews however i found the place to be clean, the room adequately sized and everything worked fine. It is a basic B&B and should be reviewed as such. Overall i had a good nights sleep and found the staff extremely helpful and accomodating. Would definately recommend to anyone looking for a simple overnight stay in the area.

Room Tip: A colleague mentioned the single/twin chalet is poor so ask for a double.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My partner and i booked here last minute+wished we had checked the reviews first! The room was small+reeked of smoke,bed was hard with one flat pillow each.bathroom was the tiniest i have ever seen!towels were tiny to match.tv was also tiny+my partner had to jiggle the aerial wire to get even basic channels.place was really noisy.breakfast room was dingy+cold+breakfast nothing special.the only good thing about the stay was the gorgeous weather which enabled us to stay out of the 'chalet'!will never go back.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank maukatt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
Craignelder Hotel
#4 of 6 in Cairnryan
The Auld Cairn
The Auld Cairn
#5 of 6 in Cairnryan

Been to The Thistle Inn? Share your experiences!