“Fantastic”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stranraer
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff could not have been more helpful or done anymore to make not only our stay fantastic but also our daughters wedding the best day of her life. Really amazing service and incredibly friendly obliging owners and staff. A special thank you to Mr and Mrs McMillans' grand daughter who was so helpful and had such a warm and welcoming smile.

Room Tip: We were situated in the old wing and it was amazing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank smcmenemy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at the North West Castle on several occasions, on weekend breaks and for family weddings and I have to say that the hotel is brilliant. The staff are outstanding, they are attentive and polite. The food quality is top notch, we normally stay on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, and the breakfast and dinners are scrumptious. The rooms are clean and well furnished. The hotel is not particularly modern but we find a comfort in this more traditional style. The swimming pool is lovely and the water is always warm and the changing areas are clean. Our family love this hotel and return here every year.

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view are lovely. The dinner bed and breakfast rates are excellent.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Yorkshiregirl79
Ratho
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night in a family of 5. Phoning the hotel, we got a good deal that included dinner (4 courses) and bed and breakfast.

Like other reviewers, the hotel does look like it has faded over the years but the warmth and hospitality of all the employees more than made up for this. From the receptionist to the porter, the Staff can't do enough for you. An absolute pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fethard
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We arrived at this hotel very late and without a booking. Luckily they had a family room available at a very reasonable price for 2 nights with breakfast and one evening meal. The interior decoration alludes to a very oppulent times in the hotels history but every place now is a bit faded but the bygone grandure still remains. We had a room on the 1st floor near a lift with an adjoining room with 2 single beds. The main room had a double bed and a single bed which were all very comfortable. The shower was very powerful and refreshing. The hotel has a games room in the basement so we enjoyed a game of table tennis and snooker. They also have a pool table, bowling and childrens toys. My husband and son used the swimming pool located on the ground floor and they found it to be very enjoyable. The food was excellent and many thanks to Michael (waiter) and all the waitresses for their hard work and attention to detail. Everything was "nay bother" to them. We were leaving the hotel at 06.30 on our last morning as we were sailing from Cairnryan at 7.30am. Cairnryan is only a 10 minute drive from the hotel. The hotel supplied us with 3 packed lunches for our trip home. Over all we had a very enjoyable stay in the castle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mowsley
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights in early July 2013. I had a Loch-facing room which was both spacious and reasonably well appointed. The bathroom was very clean and the shower therein both modern and powerful.

I guess for some the hotel is locked in a bit of a time warp but is nevertheless good value for money. The food was excellent and the piano-playing during the evening meal reminiscent of another era but charming all the same.

The staff were very helpful and the phrase "Nae bother" a standard watchword. It was disappointing to see some of the other less favourable Trip Advisor reviews as they certainly did not match my experience but I guess that that is always going to be the case.

On my next visit to Stranraer I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The Front facing rooms overlook the Loch and whilst it is difficult to avoid looking at the now defu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LindaandTYJ
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked this hotel for a family wedding 18 months in advance, I requested a SEA view at the time of booking, however upon arrival the reception had no notification of this request. We had multiple complications with the bookings resulting in several emails and telephone calls and every staff member I spoke to gave me different information each time.

At first the hotel was very old fashioned.. definetly NOT the 4* Hotel as advertised! It smelled of stour and dust, with dampness and mould in the bedrooms.. Definetly NOT a health friendly hotel for anyone with Asthma.. following a 2 day stay my asthma became so bad that I was put on oxygen just to steady my breathing. This is an old building and has an asbestos roof - viewable from my room window!

The staff on reception were rude and unhelpful, their attitude to their booking errors was disgraceful, they didnt care as long as we paid.

We paid £45.00 per person per night - this was a discounted advance rate; however other family members booked on the day and were only charged £30.00 per person per night?? Not sure how they work out their tariffs but pricing is not standard!!

I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!!!!

Room Tip: No Air Conditioning
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank toatie
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I chose this hotel for a romantic birthday treat for my husband. I was worried when I first saw the hotel as it looked a far cry from the glamorous photo on the McMillan Hotels website. My heart sank further when we entered the dated and musty smelling reception. The stairwell smelled even worse and the carpet looked like it had been down for many decades. I'd booked a front room with a view over Loch Ryan and you could see it in the background - past the back of the police station and the car park for the now closed ferry terminal. The room itself had in it what you'd expect in a hotel. The bedding was clean and of good quality but the decor and carpet were in need of a refresh. On the plus side, all of the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and efficient. The food was absolutely fantastic with 4 course evening meals featuring several choices of starters, mains and desserts. This is followed by coffee in the lounge with tablet (a kind of fudge). For breakfast, there were the normal cereals, fruit juices etc and a cooked choice too. The staff and the food are the only saving graces of this hotel which is definitely in need of a total refurbishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judith_A77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
Fernhill Hotel
#2 of 5 in Portpatrick
The Downshire Hotel
The Downshire Hotel
#5 of 5 in Portpatrick

Been to North West Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!