“Lovely Lighhouse”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stranraer
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lighhouse”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Me and the hubby stayed in Corsewall lighthouse in February for the Valentines weekend and we loved it. Yes, the rooms could have been bigger, and yes they could've been more equipped for the prices that are charged, but everything is forgiven because your one of the very lucky few that are actually staying in a beautifully unique lighthouse. We stayed in the Cromerty Room which had it's own big balcony looking over the sea and also the contryside, and we loved sitting outside on the bench drinking champagne watching the ferries go back and fore to Ireland. Before booking the room i was unsure which room to go for and asked for advice from the owners and it was definately the right decision. I would've felt cheated if we didn't actually stay in the Lighhouse building because that's the reason to go there, but from the outside the other buildings looked very nice.
We thought the people at reception were very friendly and helpful, and i was really suprised that there were complaints. The reception area has lots of leaflets for nearby attractions but they could do with having some detailed local maps of the area so you can go on a walk and know where your going.
I have to say that the food we had there was the best i've ever had (much better than Inverlochy castle). I'm not a big fan of soup but i loved it, and the sirloin steak was amazing. The restaurant is a bit cramped when full but i'm sure Valentines weekend is one of their busiest times and again all is forgiven because you're having dinner in a Lighthouse. When you book the room it comes with evening meal but if you stayed longer than a couple of nights you'd probably get a bit fed up of high end food. I'd prefer it if you could choose to pay extra for an evening meal.
At night time of course the Lighhouse comes to life and watching the flashing light was fantastic and a memory i'll never forget. We wish that we'd brought our telescope with us because i've never seen so many stars in my life.
Overall, we'd definately stay in Corsewall Lighthouse again. It's much more than a hotel and the overall experience is worth paying extra for.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sian F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Northumberland, England, UK
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel quite some years ago, and always intended to return. It was my husband's parent's 50th wedding anniversary this weekend so we decided to surprise them (together with my brother and sister-in-law) with a stay at this hotel.
When we drove up to the hotel the sun was shining and the view was amazing! The sea was vivid turquoise and it really was breathtaking.
We had booked 3 rooms - the Mull of Kintyre Room - it was lovely, perhaps slightly on the small side - but certainly not cramped - exactly as one woud expect for a room within a light-house!
The 2nd room was the Cromarty room - this was ever so slightly larger and has a huge balcony. Even though this room was described as a meadow view room - the balcony overlooks the sea. Both of these rooms were accessed via a spiral staircase - so may not be suitable for the physically challenged.
The 3rd room (the one we were in) was the Lighthouse Suite. This is set away from the main building. I must admit that I had a little heart-sink when I first saw this suite from the outside - it looked like a small outbuilding with a conservatory attached! However, I couldn't have been more wrong - we simply LOVED it! It has a fabulous conservatory which looked out at the lighthouse itself and also over the sea - we spent much time simply sitting enjoying the view of the sea crashing on the rocks and the sea beyond. At night time the view came into it's own - because there's no light pollution we could see so many stars.
There was a fully equipped kitchen - it even had a washing machine, fridge, dish-washer etc. But strangely - no wineglasses!
The bedrooms were nice too - our daughter had a room with 2 single beds - very spacious; whilst we had a room with a king-size bed. Lots of wardrobe and drawer space.
There was a nice bright bathroom with shower, toilet and washbasin - spacious and plenty of storage space again.
My only gripe is that the curtains could do with replacing in the lighthouse suite - they were quite thin so it was bright very early - but hey - with such amazing views - what's not to get up for?
Onto the food - I REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT PEOPLE FIND TO COMPLAIN ABOUT! The food was fabulous - and believe me - my husband is a real foodie snob and is very hard to please!
The smoked salmon was devine (the same smoked salmon as Gleneagles serve). The beef fillet simply melted! The vegetables were fantastic - fresh and lovely - and I'm not a big fan of carrots - but they were the tastiest I've ever had - even my daughter was happy to eat her vegetables.
The soup was in NO WAY 'like muddy water' as another reviewer stated - it was devine - we all pollished it off every night!
The wine list was good and reasonable too.
The breakfasts were equally good - and the champagne (yes real champagne - not sparkling wine) was chilled to perfection!
The staff all deserve a mention too - after reading reports of 'unfriendly staff' I admit I was a little apprehensive - but honestly - from the second we arrived until we left we were made to feel at home and important. The staff were extremely friendly yet unobtrusive, professional and caring!
So my advice is - ignore the negative reviews - yes this hotel is a little expensive for a 3star - but you will never get a view like this, nor the lovely staff and fantastic food anywhere else - so ignore all those reviews and try it - we will certainly be returning!
THANK YOU to all the lovely staff for making our family so very happy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Northumberland-lady
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Sorry, but we can't agree with most of the reviews. We feel that standards have slipped and complacency has set in. We stayed in the Kintyre room that was supposedly 'Luxury' - cheaply and poorly equiped. Poor quality shower/towels/kettle/TV. TV was so small we would have struggled to see it, but one of us couldn't anyway as the wardrobe was in the way. Really poor telly reception. Shaver light didn't work, clock/radio didn't work. Measly little biscuit and horrible carton of UHT milk. Generally no better than average B&B.
Food was poor - terrible vegetables, soup like muddy water. Limited choice of not very good desserts - creme brulee, cheesecake and Echelfechan tart! Same choice both nights we were there. Despite being surrounded by the sea, there was no seafood - the only fish being trout and salmon. It was all very 1980's pub grub. OK the location is singular but the very nature of the lighthouse is that the rooms are small - the lounges are tiny and uncomfortable. The walks outside are very rough and not maintained - there is no garden or anywhere outside much to relax apart form a couple of windswept balconies - probably what you should expect from a lighthouse. Dining room is nice and the breakfast is pretty good.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank petes_10
gordonward, Owner at Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
I personally checked out this guest and was very surprised to learn that he had not enjoyed his short stay with us. He left me a very detailed list of everything that was wrong with our hotel most of which was completely at odds with the comments and reviews from our many many other guests.
I did apologise that we had not met his expectations.
Had we known at the time about his poor TV reception, clock/radio and shaver light problems
we would have had these put right immediately.
I did check with other guests about the poor food choice/standard/quality of which he complained, but all others were delighted with their meals, which is normal.
Although we are next to the sea, we do not profess to be a "sea food" restaurant. Instead we try to cater for many tastes including vegetarians.
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We decided to book the lighthouse as it looked special on the website and we wanted something a little different because we were getting married.
My husband and I booked the Stevenson Suite which was fantastic, we could not fault it at all but unfortunately my parent's were in the hotel and to say there was no room to swing a cat in their bedroom was an understatement and the bathroom was horrible. As it was our wedding we were very sorry for them and asked the owner if he minded them staying in the spare room in the suite with us and of course that was fine with him but they would still be charged the full amount even though they would not be using the room for the 3 nights.
On the morning of our wedding a relative had arranged champagne from the hotel so when the owner informed us we were delighted but when asked the name of the person who the gift was from he had forgotten.
Food was good but the chef kept looking out of the kitchen to see if we were finished every course, with the result we felt he might have been in hurry to leave the kitchen because we were the only diners every night.
At the end of our stay my husband decided to complain as we felt it was extortionate money considering we were there for a memorable experience and the owner was very aggresive and was shaking with anger, I was scared and left very quickly.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank judithginge
gordonward, Owner at Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Although these guests were at the hotel almost 6 months ago I can remember handling their complaint about not getting a reduction because they all decided to share one suite instead of the one suite and one room already booked for their wedding.
If I recall correctly, they were told that their boss had sent the champagne so I cannot understand this comment.
There was never any pressure by the chef or anyone else to vacate the resaurant.
The main objection to our hotel was not service or food or accommodation but the fact that they did not receive a reduction to their final account
Leics
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Wonderful setting at the end of the road to nowhere with cliffs below,dolphins swimming in the bay and birdsong and wild flowers everywhere. Welcoming staff, comfortable, clean rooms and excellent food - this place is a real treasure. Very relaxed and friendly to our dog which made its owners relax too. Superb food and very good value - champagne, smoked salmon and perfect scrambled eggs was the way to start the day and we stayed for 3 nights with the daily changing menu giving us lots of choice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank PoppyLeics
Cumbria
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Second visit. Booked the North channel suite. Found it very clean and well equipped but missed the binoculars to watch the bird life. Found the suite a little tired, in need of refurbishment The shower was a joke, it trickled out, ran hot then cold, not a pleasant experience .The toilet flush was broken so a lot of time spent in the bathroom trying to work the normal things we take for granted. The curtains in the bedroom need renewed, very thin so when the sun rises you are aware of bright sunlight at some ungodly hour, so much for getting away for a welcomed rest.The staff work very hard and are so pleasant and helpful they really make the lighthouse work, a big thankyou to them. The food served was exceptional. When returning the key to reception after paying the bill the gentleman behind the desk did not bother to ask about our stay, what a shame.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Auntie51
Harrogate
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We could only spare a weekend away, although we spent more than a week looking for the place to stay, and wanted excellent food, great scenery cozy rooms and somewhere special. The Corsewall Ligthouse Hotel is special. The food is marvellous and excellent value, the rooms are excellent and with views to die for. But then again did I mention - you're in a lighthouse!!! Our room was the smallest in the hotel but it was perfect and looked straight out to sea. The staff excellent, personable and very professional. The food divine - all 5 courses and the breakfasts will set you up for the rest of the day.

The Rhinns are special, we have travelled to many parts of Scotland and once again it's different. Wonderful rolling countryside with magnificent hills and cliffs dipping into the sea. Wonderull little villages and miles of empty beaches.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mad_Carew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
North West Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballantrae
Craignelder Hotel
Craignelder Hotel
#2 of 3 in Stranraer

Been to Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel? Share your experiences!