“Excellent food, highly recommended.”
Review of L'Aperitif - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
L'Aperitif
Cuisines: Indian, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Excellent food, highly recommended.”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I chose one of the specials to start with and I was definitely not disappointed. One of the best starters I think that I have ever had! I wish that I had had one of the specials as my main but I decided not to go for something more basic which also surpassed my expectations. My partner chose one of the fish dishes which was also exceptional.

We were made to feel very welcome and the staff were very flexible and accommodating by encouraging us to do as we pleased by giving us the option to stay in the bar for as long as we wanted while our food was being prepared. Although some may consider the decor and building to be slightly outdated I would encourage you not to be put off by this as it has no bearing on the food that is on offer.

Over all the food was delicious, the staff were very friendly and the price was right. I will definitely be back next time I'm in Stranraer.

• Visited October 2012

Halifax, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked a meal at this restaurant whilst staying in Stranraer. We were met by one of the owners who was very welcoming. After ordering drinks we were given the menu. Both drinks and food was superb at very affordable prices and we would love to return again. There is a separate cocktail bar with a long list of exotic cocktails. Fantastic experience overall. Five star

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kevin S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I chose l'Aperitif based on the tripadvisor reviews, so there were no surprises when I saw the decor. It is very dated, which does detract from the atmosphere to an extent, and eating in the lounge bar with a television playing isn't ideal . However, the food was fresh, well presented, absolutely delicious, and offered excellent value for money. The service was friendly and attentive, and the restaurant was very busy at lunchtime which tells its own story.

If it's a special occasion and you want memorable surroundings, this probably isn't the place to go. If you want fantastic food, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. I certainly will be back - I haven't had pasta as good as that in a very long time! Top marks to the chef!!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank cal23
Pune, India
“Excellent lunch - a little old fashioned.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We recently had lunch here and it was very tasty, obviously freshly cooked and great value - main meals were £5-6 each and the portions were generous. Desserts were homemade and my creme brulee was scrumny, nicely presented. Non alcoholic cocktail was nice, if a little predictable. Waiting staff were very friendly and warm while remaining professional and unobtrusive, slight over sell on the specials and sides, but easily ignored! Decor could do with a wee update as others have said but it didn't detract from the meal. Menu was a little basic so would have been disappointed if it had been an evening meal, but I don't know if there is a different menu on the evening.

Alloa, United Kingdom
“Focus on the food!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I went to L'Aperitif on the advice of Trip Advisor and I have to say I was a wee bit worried when I arrived but my advice to others is to ignore everything but the food. The decor needs updating, the menus are in an old folder and the desserts are handwritten on a sheet of paper but the grub is delicious and I particularly enjoyed my glass of house rose. If you like your cocktails they looked highly professional when another table ordered some. Very nice family run it. Like all the restaurants I tried in the rhins of Galloway they are a bit sauce heavy but other than that, it's a nice place to eat!

• Visited July 2012