“Don't use the "Kennels"”
Review of Powfoot Golf Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Powfoot
Powfoot Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Powfoot
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We had been advised that this hotel had kennels, and due to this fact we took along our 14 month old dog as we were there overnight for a wedding. I had called to try and find out a bit more about the kennels, but the person I spoke to seemed very vague and unsure. I was due to attend a wedding at 3pm, and arrived at 12.40pm. We went to settle the dog in, and when we saw the "alleged" kennels, the word horrified would not describe it. The kennels were - two 4x4ft squares of uncovered concrete, with what looked like a 2x2ft hole in the wall that he was meant to sleep in! He's a German Shepherd and could have barely squeezed into this never mind stand up or turn round. There was no bed, bowls, or food. We then frantically raced round the area trying to find real kennels which could take him overnight, which we eventually did about 40 minutes away from the hotel. By the time we got him there and settled, then got back to the hotel we had missed the wedding, and the whole purpose of going was completely wasted. I have written to the hotel to advise them that they should not be advertising these "concrete boxes" as kennels, never mind charge £10£/15 for the privilege. I wouldn't have left a rat there never mind a dog. Four weeks later I have still not received a response. Not a good overall impression and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
jamiecarruthers, General Manager at Powfoot Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2009

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately our server decided to place it in our bulk mail folder, hence the delay in my reply for which I apologise.

The kennels at Powfoot were constructed with the house in the late 1800s and are much in demand with the shooting parties that stay here for their gundogs. Nowadays pet dogs that live indoors might not appreciate the Spartan conditions but they remain a much sought-after facility for a good number of our clients.

We need to list the presence of the facility but we will train staff to emphasise that the kennels are outdoor and unheated.

I am grateful for your bringing your views to my attention. I am only sorry that our misunderstanding of your requirements spoiled your event. If the opportunity arises for us to serve you again I should like to be aware so that I might be able to ensure extra effort goes into improving your opinion of our hotel. However, I shall have to concede that your German Shepherd will prefer a fully serviced boarding kennel in future and I am unlikely to attract his patronage!

With kind regards.

There are newer reviews for Powfoot Golf Hotel

Reviewed July 27, 2009

This was our second visit and will probably be our last, Despite there only being a maximum of 6 residents on any of the 4 nights we stayed some of the staff seemed reluctant to provide a service with anything approaching a smile. There was a distinct lack of leadership from management in fact there was no sight of any one who seemed to have authority. Either the bar or reception was left unattended (or both) and on the one busy night getting a drink or ordering food was a nightmare. On one day our room was left half serviced, bed not made and bathroom not cleaned and when queried at the time and later when checking out no apology or reduction in payment was offered.
The one saving grace was the quality of the food which was first class but even here there was nearly half of the dinner menu nor available.
This is a crying shame because the facilities and location give the hotel a really great opportunity to provide a service that should meet expectations.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2009

This is a beautiful hotel spottlessly clean the staff excellent friendly helpful and hard working . We had a fabulous weekend .Will definately recommend to all our friends

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hassiejack
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Myself, my sister and our partners stayed at Powfoot for a Wedding at Gretna in April. We arrived late afternoon to be greeted warmly and were shown to our rooms which were comfy and had a great view!

A male member of staff was on hand to serve us drinks all night and even booked a table for dinner that evening (which we really enjoyed as it was great food).

There is a pool table in the function room with an LCD TV where you can relax, until the bar closes at about 11ish.

We were however suprised at dinner with one of the waitresses who really seemed like she didnt want to be there, no service with a smile and did make a small mistake with one of our orders, however out man saved the day by helping out.

The only complaint I have is that the morning we were to leave there was no hot water, which was extremely frustrating as we had to move on to somewhere in the Lake District. I can imagine that it was even more frustrating for those who were getting ready to go to a wedding that morning as well!

Breakfast was ok, but would have enjoyed it more if it had been warmer.

The view is the thing that really makes this hotel, other than that, it is a comfortable stay but no more.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We arrived hot and tired one evening and were treated to a warm welcome, a beautiful, newly decorated room and a good dinner in an amazing location. We were only sorry we had to leave the following day to continue our journey!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I was looking for somewhere to hold a small dinner after my wedding at Gretna Green. Most hotels were booked and the Powfoot Golf Hotel was able to accommodate us, as well as our wedding dinner but I was worried after reading the reviews on trip advisor. I phoned the hotel a few times and found the staff to be friendly and helpful, they assured me the hotel had been refurbished and greatly improved. I booked our accommodation and reception but I was still worried. I went to Powfoot a few days before the wedding, as I had just arrived in the UK, and checked out the hotel. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, and the hotel was spotless. On the eve of the wedding we all arrived late, as the weather was dreadful but the staff went out of their way to cook us a meal, even though the chef was about to finish the shift. On the weekend of my wedding the staff bent over backwards to provide a wonderful dinner and reception. Jamie, Lorna and Margaret and the other staff were so professional but, at the same time, made everyone feel welcome. The food was perfect and the rooms extremely clean. My husband and I, and all our guests, would definitely return to this hotel and recommend it to anyone who wants to have a small wedding. Thank you to the staff at Powfoot. Ann from Aust.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Thoroughly recommended hotel. A party of six adults spent the weekend at Powfoot Golf Hotel. From first arriving the staff could not have been more helpful, nothing was an inconveniece to them. First impressions of the situation of the hotel overlooking the Solway Firth and adjacent to the golf course were breathtaking. The entrance and staircase with its tartan carpets throughout, chandeliers and welcoming receptionist. Our rooms overlooked the golf course and up the Solway coastline. The hotel has been recently refurbished, by new owners, so the rooms were excellent with ensuite, bath/shower/toilet, with snowy white fluffy towels, which were changed. even though we only stayed two nights, a comfortable bed with crisp white bedding, tea/coffee making facilities with biscuits, a TV, telephone and hairdryer. The menu was extensive with a great choice of food and served to a high standard of presentation. There was food served all day and it appeared popular with visitors. We were pleased we booked for dinners. They catered for the most discerning taste. The proprietors are still upgrading the hotel but it is all being done discreetly behind the scenes and did not interfere in anyway to the smooth running of the hotel. A "fine dining room" was in the final stages of refurbishment and will provide more seating and a spectacular view over the Solway. There is a comfortable bar area to relax in after the activities of the day. The only downside was there was no bedrooms on ground floor for people with a disability, but we were assured that they are planning for ground floor accomodation in the near furture. We will certainly be returning to spend more time 'chilling out' at this first class hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Powfoot
The Corner House Hotel
Smiths at Gretna Green Hotel
Cressfield Country Hotel
Cressfield Country Hotel
#4 of 7 in Lockerbie

Been to Powfoot Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!