“I would go back”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
Scotland
“I would go back”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We had a few nights at this hotel. My wife had been before with her mother and sister. Brilliant elevated location with panoramic views. As far as I can understand it is an " up-market " Shearings Hotel that does not do coach parties, just independant travellers, ( but I'm not 100% sure if that is correct ). The public areas of the hotel have all been modernised and it's nice, bordering on chique. We paid the top price for an superior room on a DBB basis. Our room was fab. Large with a four poster, large screen telly and a turreted area effectively almost doubled the size of the room. Fantastive view out to see and over the picturesque harbour. Being a pro photographer I took various tri pod mounted long exposure shots over the harbour late at night and early in the morning from the bedroom windows.
Breakfast was fine and so was dinner. BUT and a rather big BUT was the supplements on the dining room menu for certain choices. Basically from the set ( included ) menu any starter or main course we chose to eat was subject to a supplement charge. I felt the supplements didn't really take into account you had already paid for dinner. Anyway we paid so we could eat what we wanted and not just something we didn't really want to save money. It was certainly possible to dine every night without paying any extra. It's personal choice and deemed by your own budget. We did enjoy what we got but it was a wee bit steep.
The only other thing I would make a negative about was that one of the waitress's ( the chubby one ) had a bit of a bad attitude and we prefered to be served by one of the others.
If I was running this hotel I would also put into practice a policy that gives superior room residents a superior table in the dining room. Other Shearings Hotels I have stayed in do this and I think that is only fair.
Lastly, I forgot to take my laptop and the evening receptionist was kind enough to let me use the hotel computer to check my emails and bid for a classc car I wanted on ebay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bronxglenn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2010

stayed here for 2 nights, and got a really good deal. Our room was basic but clean with a fantastic view over the village and harbour so we decided the view out weighed the need to move rooms. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the public areas look freshly done and are very comfortable. Substancial meals with good selection. Excellent views from bar, lounge and dining area. We will return next year!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mc01672156
leighton buzzard
Reviewed July 26, 2010

After 4 days in Maidens (Wildings & Malin Court), my husband and I travelled south to Portpatrick (in driving rain!). I'd seen an advert for this hotel and it looked so good I had to give it a try. I telephoned the day before to check availability but did not book. On arrival at about 1 o'clock, we were told that a double room was available and it would be ready at 3 o'clock. We declined the offer to view the room and proceded to the bar for a drink and light lunch. The hotel was extensively refurbished about 18 months ago, the decor is very modern and chic. The lunch was fine, and we went to our room at about 2.30. The room was very small, with bathroom but no shower. We returned to reception and were shown a superior room (plus £10 each). This was significantly better, on the lower ground floor with a view over the harbour and an outside door directly onto a terrace and lawn. That's the best of this hotel, location, location, location. The outside of the building is very impressive too. We booked for dinner at 8 o'clock. The weather cleared in the late afternoon, so we ventured down the path and had a quick walk around the village. This made us a bit late for dinner, so I went to the dining room (I just couldn't describe this as a restaurant) and apologised and said we would be a bit late and what time was the latest they served diner - 8.15 was the reply!. The hotel caters for the coach party trade, and although the food is OK, it is very much like a 'canteen'.
The weather the following morning tempted us to stay, and my husband played golf at the nearby Dunskey course. He was very impressed. I strolled around the village that I found to be charming, small and very quiet but the gift shops kept me amused. For lunch we enjoyed drinks and sandwiches at the Harbourside Hotel, watching the world go by. So this was the last of our 3 hotels on the 6 day trip. Not bad, but not the best.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank over56
surrey
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We enjoyed our stay
the room was very clean
view fantastic of the harbour
decoration needed some attention
the room wasw clean
windows had been repalced and were fine
the rest of the hotel had been redecorated in a tastefull modern design
the staff were very helpfull when my friends son was ill
the food was very good plenty of choice and very lasrge portions

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank SurreyWoo
ayrshire scotland
Reviewed May 16, 2010

my wife and i had looked at this hotel a few times when we were out a run in the car so we decided to have an easter break and stay for a couple of days......big mistake....this must be one of the worst hotels i have stayed in.
first, the reception was not what i would say would have created a good lasting impression, second, the room had a first class view but the windows were less than air tight, the toilet curtain was blowing out at 45 degrees and the window was closed , the decor was, well , what decor. third, the meals were a joke no more to be said there, overall a dreadfull break in a dreadfull hotel. of course this was a couple of years ago , so it may have improved, but i wont be going back to find out.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank boaz64
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I had just finished playing the Portpatrick Golf Course and, being rather late in the afternoon, I decided to find a place to stay. Just outside the gates of the course was this nice looking hotel. At the front, a very friendly, affable woman said, yes there were rooms available and would I like to have dinner/bed/breakfast? Being somewhat tired, I agreed.

Well, what a treat! The room was very well appointed, the dinner and service were top notch and the breakfast was second to none! That, along with a delightful staff, made this one of the highlights of my golfing tour of Scotland. Many thanks.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
8 Thank Bobobirdiebuddy
Portpatrick
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Me and my sis stayed at this hotel on a Shearings "all inclusive" 4 day break the first week in Jan. Being the worst week we could have chosen for the weather, we were really surprised, as we thought we would be delayed in getting there but arrived there on time with no hitch. It was below freezing but so was the rest of the Country - this did not bother us as our room was lovely and warm and you just wrap up well don't you for through the day.

What made our holiday was John the coach driver. He was very informative, great sense of humour and we had loads of laughs in the bar ! We met some really nice people that were on the coach. The second day we couldn't get to our excursion on the morning due to bad weather but he took us out in the afternoon which was lovely. He even managed to get us up to the mountains the following day to feed the goats, John did his mating call to bring the goats down from the mountain which was hilarious as they stopped in their tracks ! But further round the corner there were loads of them all in a line ! I stocked up on loads of bread, and even doughnuts (this I would recommend if anyone is going on this trip, just buy a couple of loaves before you go). You can by bread from the Co-op in the little village you stop before going up there.

The only downside was the food, I sent mine back the first night and had a salad instead, the poor food continued until our last night (Thursday) when it was excellent, best braised steak I'd ever tasted - this was due to the Head Chef, Wendy, being on duty. Although must admit the breakfasts were fine, just the evening meals were dreadful ! First time I had encountered curly grey lamb before ! One little tip try and get near one of the radiators in the restaurant as it was quite cold, just close the flaps on the shutters !

All in all an excellent holiday, and at £120 all in with free booze from 7.30 until 10.30 who can complain ! Also, would like to thank the two lads behind the bar (sorry I lost your names!) for being so kind, and also the two waitresses who were really patient and kind, nothing was too much trouble.

If you get the chance go down into Portpatrick (we took a Taxi down on the Tuesday morning as it was too icy to walk) its a lovely little place with great views from the harbour, and nice pubs! It would of been a lovely walk if it hadn't bin so icy. We would have liked to gone down for a meal on the Wednesday, but the taxi driver went on holiday.

John, if you read this, once again thanks for a great holiday, hope we have the pleasure of your company one day on another trip !!

From Kathy and Sue Flaps !

• Stayed January 2010
3 Thank Kathy-Leeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
Fernhill Hotel
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
North West Castle Hotel
North West Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stranraer

Been to The Portpatrick Hotel? Share your experiences!