“we would never go again”

The Portpatrick Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
Reviewed November 19, 2012

the hotel was clean the bedrooms were clean , but the meals was ok thy wasnot much of it if i was asked i would they was only very small meals but not for adults it was all just like ready meals for one and the veg was not cooked and not enough of anything in our party we had a lady who was diabetic and when asked for cheese and biscuits instead of a sweet was told she would have to pay extra and the evening entertainment for two nights only but the whole atmosphere was was rubbish we had to make our own and was the staff was not very pleased if if it had not been for the coach driver this would have been the worst holiday we have ever had with sherrings in the eight years we have been going with them inthe dinning room yo was taken to a different table every night you didnot have yor own each day you had to sit where you was told this wasrrubbish never again if this is the coast and country hotels nver again thank you

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank leonard h
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

I am not sure you actually read your review back before you posted it but I will try and comment on it the best I can.
You gave value for money 1 star. For your coach travel, excursions out and 4 nights half board you paid £137.92 each. Also included in the holiday was £25 in-house credit which you could use to spend on any food and drink (including cheese from the A La Carte menu) within the hotel. In real terms you paid £122.92 for your holiday. I am not sure what you can normally get for £122 but I would say what you were given here was way more than 1 star value. Perhaps a reality check is required!
There are choices for diabetics on every menu. As most restaurants do, booking is required and when you arrive at the restaurant, you are shown to a table.
We advertise a peaceful relaxing hotel with “some” nights entertainment. Atmosphere is created by the guests themselves.
If you were looking for more entertainment, perhaps you should have booked one of our Bay Hotels.
Thank you for the review.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

once again cannot fault the hotel and the staff Melvin in reception and May and all restaurant staff were a very helpfull and friendly lot of people if I had one very minor criticism it would be that the vegtables were a little undercooked but on the whole a very good five day break thanks to all.

2  Thank Wylie B
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I will pass on your comments to both Melvin and May. We hope its not too long before we see you again. Many thanks.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Five of us booked into the Portpatrick Hotel Self Catering apartments for two weekend nights. We had booked for six people, but one person had to cancel. We thought that would give us some extra space. When we arrived at the hotel reception, we were told that the apartment was actually for four people, not six, even though we had booked for six!

The apartments are on the ground floor at the back of the hotel, overlooking Portpatrick Bay.....stunning views. The living area had no windows, only a small window in the front door to let in light. There were no lamps, only small ceiling lights which were very dim. The small kitchen was the same ..... no window and very dim ceiling lights. One small 'single' room didn't have any sockets, mirror or wardrobe, and the window didn't open, very claustrophobic! And as my group of friends were all women, the lack of mirror, sockets etc did make a difference. The double bedroom and other single bedroom were fine. The living area had a settee and an armchair ... again not enough seating for six people. There were only two wine glasses and six tumblers, no serving dishes etc. There was a lack of the very basics.

We asked for more wine glasses at reception, and were told that we couldn't get any more as the wine glasses in the bar had measures marked on them!!! What difference does that make?! We insisted though and eventually got extra glasses. The apartment advertised DVD players in each apartment,so we each brough a few to relax with, and guess what? No DVD player! The receptionist told us that the manager would be the person to sort that out ...... but he was off that weekend!! She said she would speak to someone else who was due to start a shift at 3.00pm. We heard no more about it, and managed to borrow a DVD player from a friend who lives in the village.

When we were leaving, and paying for our stay on our last day, we again told the man at reception about the situation. There were no apologies, or small discount, which I think would have been appropriate, so I can honestly say that I won't be booking either the hotel or it's apartments in future!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Treebank
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you for the review of your stay. The booking.com site, had at the time of your booking, the wrong information. This has since been corrected. Each apartment can sleep up to 6 with the use of the sofa bed, but 4 is the normal occupancy levels.
I have taken on board the points you made on departure and I will ensure we rectify them. The small bedroom does in fact have power, and yes it does need a mirror. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Visited Portpatrick for a short break and first impressiions were very good. Lovely location sitting above the village with a winding path down for easy access to the port, local bars etc. and great views out to sea. The reception rooms have all been modernised and it is very pleasant and comfortable. However the bedroom (2nd floor overlooking the sea) was very tired and needed refurbishing, but the mattress was the worst I have ever had to spend the night on. The spings were about to come through. When I complainedt the next morning after a miserable night I was told there were spare mattresses and they would change it, or we could change to a twin room as there were no vacant double bedrooms. I asked for a replacement mattress on the understanding it would be better and if not we would opt for a change of rooms. Before dinner that evening I felt the bed and it appeared to have a new mattress but when I slept on it it was in fact the original one with a very thin mattress cover over it!! I was very disappointed and when I spoke to the assistant manager the following morning I was told they could not have changed the mattress as there were no spare ones on the premises and maybe the receptionist I spoke to the day before must have thought they would change it from another room (worrying as we had been told there were no spare rooms!) . I accepted a part refund and an ungreade for the final night. The second room, first floor was very much better and had been upgraded, the mattress was indeed a bit better but still not good, and they obviously need an input of cash to address this issue. None of the staff were surprised when I complained and in fact one member of staff admitted they need new beds throughout.
While I think the assistant manager did her very best to resolve the issue it is disappointing that they have this problem as the location is so good.
Food was satisfactory but mediocre.

Room Tip: One with a new mattress
2  Thank Jean C

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry it was not to your expectations. We are in the process of upgrading rooms and beds. We unfortunately only had twin view rooms available during your stay. There was a vacant double but it was not a sea view room. We always try to resolve any issues guests may have. Unfortunately its not always possible.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Visited via Shearings 5 day break at the end of August 2012. First time I had travelled alone and had some trepidation as to how I would cope; I needed to have no worries all went well helped with pleasing and friendly sgtaff. Given a double room at the back of the hotel overlooking the small golf course. Weather was wonderful which helped . Food plenty of choice and well cooked and presented. Two nights entertainment in the small entertainment room. Certainly many of the visitors were via Shearings and most would be pensioners, but so what there was a pleasant feel about the visitors who joined in the entertainment and also enjoyed the bar. Hotel overlooks the lovely harbour of Portpatrick which was a tricky walk down the steep steps. Plenty of resting places for that hard slog back! A good holiday with interesting outings via the coach. Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank irenew

Thanks for the review. We always appreciate when someone takes the time to write a positive review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here. I do hope you will use Shearings/ Coast & Country Hotels again and perhaps we may even see you here again. Thanks you.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have just returned from a long weekend break at The Portpatrick Hotel. The hotel is well-situated near to the village and overlooking the harbour. The first thing that struck us was the very friendly welcome which we received, and all of the staff with whom we had contact during our stay were pleasant and helpful. The food was delicious and a very good choice both for breakfast and also for evening meal. There was always plenty of hot water for showers and baths and our room was very clean and had a great sea view (well worth paying the £18 extra each for this pleasure). I would have no hesitation in returning to this lovely hotel and found it excellent value for money.

4  Thank minigang
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments onto the staff. They do like to hearing positive reviews as they all work hard to try and make everyone’s stay an enjoyable experience. Thank you again for the review and hopefully we will see you back here in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Went to this Hotel Four Nights Christmas 2011, a waste of £600 there was no Christmas atmosphere what so ever except a few trees sitting about, Food was mediocre certainly not Christmas Fare, sent a few Meals back,I think there was a Couple of Coaches in and the Entertainment Room only held about 40 after Eight at Night the place was dead,everyone had gone Upstairs, the quietest place in the Hotel was the Bar which was empty at Night,have had far better food and Entertainment at this Hotel for half the Price.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank benjamin w
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thanks for the review. We always serve traditional Christmas food during the Christmas period so we are not quite sure what you were looking for. As far as we can recall, no meals were sent back at anytime during the Christmas break last year, but it was 10 months ago and we have served thousands of meals since, so we could be wrong.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
Fernhill Hotel
Knockinaam Lodge
Knockinaam Lodge
#2 of 5 in Portpatrick
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel

Been to The Portpatrick Hotel? Share your experiences!