All reviews on arrival first class old fashioned newer part dining room db b main building restaurant staff front facing course dinner excellent food room was large short break this lovely hotel overlooking the harbour warm welcome piping hot
Reviewed August 11, 2007

We stayed at The Fernhill this week and it was absolutely lovely. The staff are very welcoming and efficient and make time to chat and exchange pleasantries. We took our dog with us and were given a balcony room (as requested) with stunning views over the harbour and the Irish coast.

The food was very good and the service excellent.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit, but the clients do seem to be in the more mature age group but all were very friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxing and calm.

We will certainly return!!

Date of stay: August 2007
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The hotel has great views of the village, the harbour and out across the Irish sea to Ireland. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The bedroom was a bit OTT on the fabrics and furniture, a little more thought would have been nice as to what travellers want (luggage rack for example) rather than to cram it full of unnecessary furniture. The bathroom was fantastic, almost as large as the bedroom and well equipped. The food was very good if a little pretentious in the way it was described. Our only other comment was the wording inside the in room info brochure which was dicatotorial and patronising. In reality, the hotel had a nice, relaxed atmosphere which was a relief having read the info brochure. I would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Date of stay: July 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank NottsGirlsontour
Reviewed May 17, 2007

My husband and I spent 2 nights there last year. We got lost finding the way so spent all day driving to get there and it was pouring of rain and cold. The hotel was very welcoming and we had a lovely room with the most spectacular view of the harbour. The food was great and the staff very very friendly. We did some sight seeing in the area visiting the lighthouse and getting a certificate for climbing up all the stairs but it was great fun and very interesting. We have lunch at a seafood restaurant in the town and my seafood platter was delicious. They had a sea rescue event running that week end so it was very busy but great. I loved it and would go back if ever I go down that way again.

Date of stay: August 2006
Reviewed March 30, 2007

Well where could I start my reveiw of the Fernhill Hotel in Portpatrick??

Lets start at the begining shall we!! ha ha

My friend and I stayed at the hotel on the 16th and 17th of march this year. The hotel itself was in such a beautiful surroundings that it would have been hard to find fault with the setting. The veiws over the harbour to which our room overlooked were absolutely spectacular..

The staff were excellent making our stay so very memorable. Ailsa and Janice (the receptionists) were so polite and efficient that we felt at ease from the moment we walked into the hotel.Enjoying our complimentary glass of sherry on our arrival added that extra "touch of class".

The location of the Hotel was very good too. Twaz just a short distance down the hill to the delightful bar of the Crown Hotel- again very friendly staff and a very warm welcome was given to one and all with live music from a traditional irish band.

The meals in the hotel were beautiful. They tended to every taste- and may I say.............. tasted gorgeous too! In the Dining hall we were looked after by Bob one of the Head waiters (not sure what his full title was) he was both professional/efficient/cheerful and a delight to listen to with his "merry banter" making meal times more enjoyable.

Overall a very enjoyable stay!!! I dont think that we shall forget this St Patricks weekend this year.

We shall certainly be going back again one day.

Thank you for such an enjoyable stay!!

Helen and Paul xx

Date of stay: March 2007
2  Thank helencam390
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Stayed 2 nights (Friday & Saturday). Hotel was excellent, food superb. Service in the dining room was excellent on the Friday night, but not so good on the Saturday when they were busy.
I would highly recommend this hotel, with the proviso that it is up a steep hill, so not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties. However, the plus side is that the view over the harbour is excellent. We had a front facing room in the main hotel, which was very spacious and had a veranda big enough to sit out on.
The worst fault I could find was that the toilet roll holder was akward to get at !! Hotel is rated as a 3 star, but I would rate it as good as many higher rated hotels I have stayed at.

Date of stay: February 2007