“Very nice hotel, stunning location.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portpatrick
The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Portpatrick B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2010

My Wife and I came to Portpatrick to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversay, we wanted something a little bit nicer than your average - and at The Waterfront - we think we found it.
The Hotel's location imediatly makes you relax and realize you're on holiday and that rushing isn't an option in Portpatrick. Nothing is rushed, no traffic, no hustle and bustle, no pushing in front of people in the bar to get your drinks 60 seconds quicker than the next man, it's like a drug that perhaps, only true "Portpatrickonions" can explain to us town and city dwellers, to whom every second is important, it's a nice refreshing change.
Portpatrick is a lovely harbour village with some nice little shops if you just want to potter around for a strole and soak up the aptmosphere. We did two nice small walks from the village itself, one to the right of the harbour up onto the cliffs past the Portpatrick Hotel and the golf club, this was lovely with great views out towards the sea. Second, we walked from the left of the harbour to the ruins of Dunskey Castle, again a lovely walk along the cliff tops with spectacular views out to sea.
The Waterfront was very clean, staff were helpful, friendly and welcoming. Our room was fine, a standard double at the rear of the hotel, clean and tidy but very small, especially the bathroom. At £80prpn for B&B it wasn't cheap and I'm sure we've all stayed in maybe grander, bigger hotels for less money, but you have to remember where you are, this is a small, popular village so prices are going to be higher than your average, if you want average or cheap don't come to Portpatrick, it's not your average village, its a remote, secluded, unspoilt picture of beauty and for that you're going to pay premium rate.
On the first night of our stay (Fri) we dined at The Crown Hotel, just next door to The Waterfront. It was very nice, the food was good although not cheap, £4-£8 for your average starter (£4 being the soup, £5.95 for pate) and between £10-£20 for your main (I went for the very nice Seabass at £12.95) but as it was our anniversary weekend we weren't really looking for cheap so we were happy enough. The bar at the Crown was good, live music both Fri & Sat night, although with no Real Ale on offer I had to move onto there good range of Single Malt Whisky after a couple of Guinnesses. The music on Friday wasn't really to our taste so we had a walk along to The Harbour House, where they do serve my much desired Real Ale. The Live Music from the bar next door went on till about 12.30 which wasn't an issue for us but maybe it could be for some.
Breakfast at The Waterfront was great, really can't fault it. You help yourself to a buffet table with cerials, fruit and yoghurt. Ann (manager) brought us coffee and took our order for hot food, we recommend the full scottish breakfast and toast, very nice, more coffee followed from the very friendly Ann, honestly, she couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome.
On Saturday night we dined at The Waterfront and it was superb. The Seafood Chowder was amazing, followed by the Rack of Lamb and Passion Fruit Cheesecake. My wife had Seafood Chowder, Seabass and Creme Brulee. We also enjoyed a very nice South African Shiraz. The whole meal was perfect from start to finish, the Restaraunt, the view across the harbour out to sea, the delicious food and the friendly and helpful service from the staff (especially the Polish waitress, who's name we didn't manage to get).
So, if you're looking for cheep and cheerful don't come here because you will be dissapointed, go to Prague or Benidorm where you can spend £4 on chops and chips and drink cheep Lager until the cows come home. However, if you fancy a break in one of the most remote, unspoilt and scenic villages this beautiful planet has to offer then Protpatrick might just be the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Worldskier1979
There are newer reviews for The Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed September 29, 2009

I booked a 4 day dinner bed and breakfast package for my wife and myself. I had read the reviews say that the rooms were a bit small but I went for the sea view anyway as I like the seaside.
On arrival I found out the owners were away and were met by a friendly relaxed member of staff who said that there had a been a booking problem and would we mind staying the cottage round the corner , I looked at the lovely but quite small room with the sea view but when we were shown the cottage we realised that we had won a watch. It was a roomy , very clean and well presented without the sea view but with a conservatory and small garden to the rear, perfect place for my wife to have a smoke!.
So we took the cottage which was adjacent to the hotel but round the corner, it was a 25 yard walk to the front door of the hotel but the staff opened the fire door in the restaurant to half this . Ah the restaurant , fresh pleasant decor with friendly staff and evening meals that were tasty and well presented. The views over the harbour from the our allocated table were an added bonus.
My only real complaint about my stay was that there was no shaver point in the cottage, not a major complaint in anyone's books.

I would happily recommend the Waterfront Hotel to friends if they were going to Portpatrick , I would also recommend a trip to Portpatrick, we had a lovely time

Reviewed September 22, 2009

As it was our first wedding anniversary we wanted a special meal and this place did not dissapoint. On booking the table over the phone the lady was welcoming, friendly & efficient. On arrival the Hotel was spotless, pretty decor and brilliant staff! Nothing was too much trouble. The food (scallops to start, fillet steak mains, lemon tart dessert) was ABSOLUTELY OUT OF THIS WORLD! The service from the begining to end was efficient but not pushey. It took us 4 hours to get there and we can't wait to go back again. Thank you xx

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed at this lovely seafront hotel for 3 nights. Room and en-suite, although a tad on the small side, was warm and cosy, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. We had a seaview room and had a really relaxing stay. From the minute we entered the hotel, we were made to feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They were always smiling and friendly. Breakfasts were delicious. We only ate there one evening but the food was delicious - would certainly recommend the black pudding starter. If you're looking for a relaxing break with no hassle, then I'd certainly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Portpatrick and think that it is a beautiful place to visit, so quiet and virtually unspoilt.
We stayed at the large Portpatrick Hotel up on the cliff top but didn't fancy dining there as the whole hotel is decorated in very drab shades of black/grey so the dining room didn't seem at all inviting.
We had booked to eat at Campbells on the 2nd night as it had been highly recommened but found them to be fully booked the first night. We wandered around and thought the Waterfront looked nice with a good menu which included several fish dishes which appealed to my husband in particular. We were given a table at the back of the restaurant and enjoyed a marvellous starter and main course each. My husband had the seafood chowder which he said was the best ever, followed by whole sea bream which was delicious. I had garlic mushrooms cooked with red peppers and topped with garlic bread - very tasty and well presented. My main course was fillets of sea bass with black olives and baby capers. Beautifully cooked and presented. We also had a bottle of rose wine. I chose the Baileys cheesecake to finish with, obviously home made but slightly lacking in biscuit base. My husband just settled for a coffee with Baileys.
We really did enjoy the meal and it was made even more enjoyable by the very friendly Polish waitress who was very attentive.
We opted to go back there on our last night so my husband popped in at lunch time to reserve a talbe for the evening, asking for the round table in the window. He even saw it written in the book but when we arrived we were told by the lady (owner?) that "she" had let another couple sit there! We were seated at the next table, asked for a jug of water which arrived soon enough, then ordered our food and the same bottle of wine as we'd had on our first visit. 45 mins later we were getting somewhat fed up - only a bread roll which was already on the table when we arrived, no food and no wine had appeared. The lady that had told us about the table mix up and taken our oder seemed to be enjoying plenty of chat with another couple and appeared to be making arrangements to visit them for coffee! In the end I managed to catch her attention and asked if we could possibly have our wine, my husband added that some food would be nice too! The wine had obviously been completely forgotten and when it did arrive it was the wrong rose. We weren't even asked if we would like to taste it first either. When she returned with the correct wine she said to my husband "did you not fancy the more expensive wine then?!".
I had ordered the same starter and main course I'd had on the Friday night, a big mistake as it is clear that they have different chefs on different nights and the one on our 2nd visit, to our mind, was nowhere near as good as the first one. My mushrooms were completely different and the garlic bread soggy. My husband chose the crab cakes but said the overpowering flavour was of onions. The worst part was that when my sea bass finally arrived you could clearly see that all the 4 fillets had been cooked to the extent that they were charred. I should have complained, they should have realised and cooked a fresh lot, but as so often happens, my husband would have been left to eat his meal whilst mine was being replaced so I ate what I could. I did mention about it when the plates were taken away but the remark fell on stony ground, no apology at all.
We ordered cheese and biscuits to share also coffees with Baileys in. Very nice cheese board with plenty of choice and excellent coffee but I was slightly surprised to see the "owner" and the other waitress (not the lovely Polish one) start to strip all the tables and start relaying them for the next day's lunch - talk about being made to feel we shouldn't be there!!!! We were the last to leave but surely they could have waited until we'd finished our coffee?
My husband always checks bills in restaurants - thankfully - as to top it all they had added on a £3 charge for "misellaneous items", when we asked what that was neither seemed to know what it related to and it was removed. Fair enough but what if this happens on a regular basis?!
We hope to return for another long weekend in Portpatrick but sadly The Waterfront will not be included on out eating out list - such a shame as the location is wonderful and the decor very welcoming.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Waterfront Hotel. What a lovely hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was on the top floor overlooking the seafront and harbour. Although the room and especially the en-suite bathroom were quite small, both were very clean, nicely decorated and overall pleasant. The hotel has a seperate restaurant and bar area. The bar area is again quite small with only a few tables and limited seating. We ate in the restaurant one night where we found the food and service very good. Dont miss a walk up the coast to Dunskey Castle a striking ruin. Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at the Waterfront and are planning to return.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed 1 & 2 August 2009 - a party of four of us. The hotel is family run for the past 10 years and we were made most welcome. The whole experience was superb. The food was excelent and tasty, accommodation spotless and yet compact with sea views. We will return again soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
The Portpatrick Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stranraer
The Harbour House Hotel
The Harbour House Hotel
#9 of 14 in Portpatrick

Been to The Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!