“The Jewel in the Cleft”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portpatrick
The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Portpatrick B&B and Inns
Derbyshire
“The Jewel in the Cleft”
Reviewed December 22, 2007

We have stayed once at the hotel but have dined there many times. The welcome is always warm and genuine and the room that we had was comfy and cosy and superbly furnished.
The food in the restaurant was superb on all of the twenty or so occasions that we have dined there and the wine selection was carefully and tastefully selected.
Having stayed in many hotels over many years this small and intimate location has regularly exceeded our expectations and has become one of our firm favorites for a holiday location.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — No Lift
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
UK
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I have never seen such small rooms in my life. The bathroom was also incredibly small, we wondered how we could manage so one of us had to lay in the bed while the other showered. In addition the hotel was about £90/$200 per night which in my view was a complete rip off for this quality level of room even for the UK. In fact I would have to say that this is not really a hotel as such but a guesthouse. Nice people though and the area's beauty made up for the fleecing!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — size of room and bathroom was tiny
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Knuxer
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We stayed at the Waterfront Hotel for 3 nights in June 2007.

We arrived early evening and, when checking in, were asked if we wanted to dine in the restaurant as they were holding a table for us just in case. The menu looked nice and we didn't fancy rushing about finding somewhere else in the village at that time so we took them up on the offer.
We were only expecting typical 'hotel dining room' standards of cooking but we were pleasantly surprised as it turned out to be excellent with good quality local ingredients cooked to perfection. The breakfasts were also very good - the best Stornaway black pudding ever ! The chef gave us the label so we could track some down by mail order when we got home (which we have - thank you!)

Our rooms (5+6 I believe) were on the top floor with two twin beds in each. Both rooms had lovely views over the harbour and out to sea. We could even see the Irish coastline in the distance. The rooms were small but they were immaculately clean and nicely furnished to make good use of what little space there was. The shower room was the tiniest I've ever seen - going to the loo was quite a squeeze!

The weather wasn't great during our stay so there wasn't the opportunity to sit outside, but on warmer days it must be lovely as there are lots of tables at the front of the hotel facing onto the sea front.

On our second evening we ate at Campbells Restaurant, a little further along the seafront, and that was outstanding. We would have liked to have gone back a second time but they were fully booked - if you want to eat there on a Friday or Saturday it's definitely worth booking ahead.

As we couldnt get into Campbells for a second time we decided to have dinner again in our Hotel, so that wasn't too much of a hardship as we had another excellent meal there.

During our stay in Portpatrick we did a couple of walks along the coastal paths. One of the days was especially rainy so we took the car and drove out to the Galloway Forest that day, past the mountain goat and red deer ranges and along the forest drive (toll road). We also went to Caerlaverock Castle which was fantastic

• Liked — Fantastic location and great food
  • Disliked — rooms very small, no lift
  • Stayed June 2007
Kent
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Just come back from a long weekend and always wanted to visit Portpatrick from watching Two Thousand Acres of Sky years ago. What a peaceful lovely place for a relax and wind down.
We walked into the Waterfront and felt at home they had two rooms available one with a seaview - which looked straight out to sea. The room was lovely, the shower room was compact but was fine.
The evening meal was superb, followed by a lovely breakfast.
If you want to peace and quiet fab, but you can also go to other bars/hotels which has some lively music, atmosphere relaxed, room lovely, food superb.
I will be going back - thank you

• Liked — Everything felt new, views and food
  • Disliked — The small bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I recently emailed this hotel and enquired about booking a family room, the response was very quick and polite and I was asked to call the lady I had been dealing with, to provide my card details to place a deposit.

On phoning I asked to speak to my email contact, but the lady who answered replied curtly, 'She isn't here'. I began to ask if possibly she could help me, but was cut off with a very short response, 'Well seeing as I am the manager and she is a waitress, I am sure I can'. At this, I responded that actually I had changed my mind, thank you.

It's a shame as it looks like a lovely hotel, but I'm not interested in staying somewhere were a manager is rude to staff and customers. For the staff's sake, I hope that this lady was just having a bad day and this is not the norm.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandyflyme2016
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Have just spent 4 wonderful days in Portpatrick staying in the Waterfront Hotel with my son.

We had a very comfortable bedroom with a view out onto the harbour. Yes the en-suite was small but it was large enough for my ample figure to move around in and as long as I did'nt turn around suddenly or do cartwheels the doors remained shut...to my sons relief.

The staff were absolutely lovely and I can't thank them enough for making this stay so enjoyable. They left me in peace when I wanted peace, plied me with drink when I wanted a drink and chatted to me when I wanted to chat. The only thing they could'nt help me with was the weather which of course was beautiful today when I left. I could'nt ask for anything more.

There was putt and pitch to play and plenty of rocks to climb on to make into your own castle. Recommendations to visit Port Logan Fish Pond by a member of the staff was spot on. It is a beautiful little village with an 18th Centuary building that has been used as a fish pen for all these years. Fun was had feeding the fish and trying not to lose your fingers in the process.

The food was tasty and I'm sure that the pounds have been added to round my waist.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the staff at the Waterfront.

• Liked — The staff, the scenery, the food, the peace and quiet most of the time
  • Disliked — Steep stairs to the room, no Internet access.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Swany42
Glasgow
Reviewed November 9, 2006

I have just returned from what I can only describe as one of the best weekend breaks I can remember. My wife and I stayed at the Waterfront Hotel having chosen it after a recommendation from a friend and a visit to their excellent website.

On arrival our reception was very welcoming with all the staff we met being helpful and courteous. Our sea-view room was very tastefully decorated and clean. We ate in the restaurant and must congratulate Johnn Henry, the chef for the wonderful menu and food.

Overall we would highly recommend the place, the hotel, the facilities and the staff for making our weekend so special. Thank you.

We have been to Portpatrick before and will certainly come back again with a return visit to the Waterfront a certainty.

• Liked — The relaxed, friendly atmosphere of the hotel and village
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Discover Portpatrick and the Waterfront for yourselves as quickly as you can.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank brad2903
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
The Portpatrick Hotel
#2 of 5 in Portpatrick
North West Castle Hotel
North West Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stranraer

Been to The Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!