I feel bad about giving only a 4 not a 5 since most things about Knockinaam Lodge are wonderful, but though it's only a small gripe it;s something so unnecessary that they deserve to lose a mark for it.
At £165 a night for single occupancy db&b it's pretty pricey, but the hotel itself is very attractive, the location is amazing, the beds were comfortable and the food excellent, so I wouldn't begrudge paying it. But at that price I think it's petty cheese-paring to charge extra for serving you a cup of tea in the lounge when you come back from a walk. I'd have let them of with a grumble and no deducted mark if they'd provided tea/coffee making facilities in the bedroom, but they don't.
But if you don't like afternoon tea or coffee, or aren't bothered by that sort of thing, then its a pretty perfect kind of a place. We had a (fish eating) semi veggie in our little group and they did a pretty good job of providing as interesting a menu for her as they did for us carnivores. The menu is fixed, and although hey said they could make substitutes if there was anything we didn't like, we never felt the need to over 3 successive dinners. Though I would echo the previous comment about the wine being pricey. Luckily the house red was very good and a snip at £24!
The staff were all competent and friendly without being intrusive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Knockinaam Lodge is an extended Victorian house set in an idyllic cove with its own pebble beach surrounded by 30 acres of delightful grounds and was the location for a meeting between Churchill and General Eisenhower in World War II. Today, a warm welcome is assured from the proprietors and their committed team, and much emphasis is placed on providing a sophisticated but intimate home-from-home experience. There are just ten individually designed suites and our award wining restaurant provides a daily-changing four-course set menu which showcases the best local produce available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Knockinaam Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Knockinaam Hotel Portpatrick
- Knockinaam Lodge Portpatrick, Scotland