Knockinaam Lodge
  • Breakfast included
Crown Hotel(Portpatrick)(Great Value!)
$149
$123
The Portpatrick Hotel(Portpatrick)(Great Value!)
$66
Travelocity
$112
Travelocity
$82
All reviewsprivate beachmichelin startasting menudrawing roomoutstanding foodcoffee and petit fourscountry housefixed menuchurchill suitewinston churchillset menuportions are smallitison dealspecial birthdayloved this hotelpre dinner drinkshuge bath
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hotel was all that we expected it to be in a superb location overlooking the sea. The room was superb, the public rooms excellent and the ambience just right.
Of all the highlights the food and the presentation thereof could not be bettered.
One simple highlight at breakfast was an offer of a surprise omlette. Delicious!!
Needless to say the wine and spirit list was expansive. The local Bladnoch 20 yr old single malt hit the spot.
For outdoor activities there is a safe beach fronting the hotel with beach hut and a superb walk starting from the hotel to Portpatrick.
All in one of the best!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Great Location, Fabulous accomodation and food. We stopped in "Glen", although its a standard, the bathroom is spacious, and the bath bigger than a normal one, the toiletries were great especially the lemon soap. The food is fabulous, the breakfast menu has a great choice, and we tried the taster evening menu, which was fabulous, too

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

It had been a few years since I first stayed here with work and vowed I would return recreationally with my partner, but finally got round to it as some time together after we got married.

We headed straight here from our wedding hotel in Warwickshire, and arriving late afternoon, it was as good as I remember, with cozy but modern rooms. Food and service were still excellent and I hope this will be our goto getaway for special occasions

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

In so many ways this hotel is sheer perfection; the location is outstanding, the staff are excellent and helpful. The rooms, well certainly ours, are warm, well furnished and very comfortable. Ours (Whin) had excellent views of the delightful private beach. I have a pet hate - slimy topped fried eggs - so I asked if the chef could manage American style 'over easy'. Yes he could, and he got it just right - Thank you.
However, the prices are obscenely high; I didn't expect it to be cheap but £8 for a glass of house wine is tearing the [--] out of it!
Other reviewers mention the food: what I experienced was the very worst kind of nouvelle cuisine - tiny portions beautifully arranged on the plate but frankly pretentious. One main course was an inch square of meat accompanied by two - I kid you not - two Brussels sprout leaves. Someone is taking the mickey! One evening the fish was salt cod; it was undercooked and almost raw. The attempt to tailor the food to the individual is praiseworthy, but they haven't quite got it right yet. I think the missing element is face to face discussion before the meal - something commonplace in France.
If that sounds harsh let me say that I did find the tastes very good indeed.
A personal point of view: in a former hunting lodge I would have hoped for simpler and heartier fare.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bing1936
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Knockinaam Lodge had been on our radar for a while. Recently we saw an offer for DBB and decided to book. It's a long way to Portpatrick but it was SO worth it. The staff and owner were welcoming and efficient. We had a standard room (East) which was nice. Bath towels were lovely and soap was divine! The hotel was in a lovely spot and within immaculately kept grounds and private beach. The highlight was undoubtedly the dining. Five course dinner was absolutely delicious as was the sumptuous breakfast. We would love to return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple