“Dissapointing”

and 1 more site!
The Downshire Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went for a stay and booked dinner on night of arrival. a big party in who were extremely noisy which you might forgive but the language left a lot to be desired. The f word was used by some as anoher word for and . instead of a nice quiet meal we couldnt eat it fast enough and make our escape. The staff just carried on without a word said to anyone. In the morning went for a shower no hot water couldnt phone down to reception as no phone in the room.

Went to check out in the morning and mentioned the shower to be told
yes sorry the heating has broke down but was fixed now. Would of been nice at this point to take something off the bill for the inconvenience as a token jesture.
The room was quite big and airey and there was quite a bit of noise from the pub downstairs but it all went quiet after 1 p.m. was prepared for this with earplugs.
The dinner menu was quite varied and the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: September 2012
There are newer reviews for The Downshire Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at the Downshire some years back and decided to try them again, after staying elsewhere - they have up their game - rooms much improved - clean and tidy - excellent shower. Staff very helpful - The Bar was buzzing both night we were there - we were on the 1st floor - noise was fine, although we had a few so that probably helped! Breakfast clean and exactly what was required - Decor throughout excellent. They did us a deal with accommodation and two rounds of golf at Portptrick GC - very good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

after a few drinks in one of the pubs in the village, noticed the board outside the downshire advertising a set italian meal. on looking at the menu it didn't seem to have lots of choices but did include a bottle of wine for 2. I must admit i was very impressed. The portions were very generous and everything was nicely presented. also the staff were friendly and attentive. would recommend to anyone, a great value, lovely dinner. the only minus point i have is that the restaurant doesn't look like a restaurant but a B & B breakfasting room. A wee bit of a spruce up would make the world of difference.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here on 28/09/12 for 2 nights because it had been recommended by friends. We were given a warm and friendly welcome and shown to room 6 on the second floor. We found the circular stairs difficult to manage with our luggage. The room was small and basic but clean enough and we had a sea view. We did not have a shower but had a bath instead, unfortunately we had to complain as we had no hot water and in fairness to the staff we were quickly given access to another room to shower in and the problem with the water was quickly sorted, although I would much rather have stayed in the other room as it had been upgraded and was of a much higher standard than the room we had. It was a very wet and windy weekend and the room was cold and draughty because the windows did not seem to fit properly and there was no heating only a very inadequate electric heater. The small portable TV did not work either because the aerial was broken.
We were b+b and the breakfast was quite good, we also had our lunch and dinner on both nights in the hotel and found the meals to be good value for money and pretty tasty, the waitress we had in the restaurant was a lovely young girl with a ready smile and a nice attitude.
The bar staff were very pleasant as were the regular customers, my only complaint was the loudness of the juke box, which for me was deafening, we had to leave and go back to our room but even then we could still hear the music.
Portpatrick is a lovely harbour village with a couple of nice wee shops and a few nice hotels, the local people were all very welcoming and the surrounding area and coastline is lovely.
We will definitely return to Portpatrick and I would stay at this hotel again but only if I got one of the better rooms or perhaps booked one of the hotels self catering apartments which I was told were of a much nicer standard than the hotel bedrooms.
We got quite a good rate for our 2 night break and I was not too disappointed by what we got for our money as I am a great believer in you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor with a shower.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for 1 night, thankfully no longer.. Room Allocated had wallpaper peeling off wall, a portable TV which was not digital and no digital box, so no TV!! Using as a base for night out, so decided to stay. In the morning tried to use hot water from 7.50am, none, thought might be due to too many people using at once, by 9am decided to get dressed unwashed and go to reception, when I said we had no hot water the lady on Reception said the fuse had blown and would not be on for a hour or so. I have been the General Manager of Hotels in the past and know things can go wrong, but surely you would communicate this to your guests via a note through the door or something, it is not a large hotel!! Then went to get breakfast the menu for breakfast was on the table and you could only pick 5 items from the list, this reminded me of when I was a student and Littlewoods did a breakfast for 99p!!Only difference had paid £78 for double room with breakfast. When we checked out the receptionist did not apologise for the lack of hot water.I love Port Patrick, I will return but thankfully not to this hotel(hostel).

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Dined first at lunch - shame that all the menus were "with chips" (except the curry). Food was freshly cooked, and all meals were hot and served as generous portions. The children enjoyed their food, and I loved the very fresh side salad that came with two of our meals, with a lovely dressing. We went back the next evening for our meal, and took advantage of the Two for Twenty deal, a couple eats two courses each with a large bottle of good wine, for £20! My starter of prawn cocktail was sumptuous, and served with plenty of brown bread and butter. The children's meals were lovely, and they cleaned their plates. The service was brilliant, the food was great, and the atmosphere was good, too. The landlord was very friendly and took time to chat to us despite being busy. This was our first visit to the area, and when we go back we will definitely eat here!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ConeyImagesPhotograp
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Downshire holiday apartments are superb! Everything you could possibly need spotless clean and very modern. I have travelled the world to 5 star Hotels and have never received hospitality like this. Due to I'll health I can no longer fly so my husband the dog and I decided to try South West Scotland. What a Welcome!!! The Downshire staff are most definitely the most friendly bunch I have ever come across. The pub food is great and cheap! The locals are great and funny! Beautiful location! We have booked to go back for New Year can't wait!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
The Portpatrick Hotel
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
The Harbour House Hotel
The Harbour House Hotel
#9 of 14 in Portpatrick

Been to The Downshire Hotel? Share your experiences!