“All round average”

and 1 more site!
Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tillicoultry
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were a large party of around 15. Rather than pop us perhaps in the function suite we were squeezed in between two rows of booths whereby if we stood up, our bottoms were touching another customers table. Slightly embarassing. That aside, starter was fine, main course was not warm in the slightest. Inside the chicken with haggis was stone cold which obviously concerned me as I could not understand how something could be that cold if it had just been cooked. Waitor took it it back off to the kitchen where it was popped in the Micro for a couple of minutes and came out piping hot whch was an improvement but unfortunately by this point a few of us were already 'put off' by the cold sauce that covered the majority of dishes (fish and chicken). Were waited on by a lady who unfortunately seemed to pop out for a smoke between courses and then serve up food leaning over us smelling of stale smoke. Another waitor who was very abrupt and unfriendly. Either this or he was quite stressed. All in all, we were quite disappointed. Owner seemed like a lovely person so hate to have to pop this in but hopefully it will assist in making some improvements overall.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lindybomb
There are newer reviews for Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Been few times for dinner and working our way through the menu and have not been disappointed with anything yet. good wholesome homemade food Very friendly staff and quick service. Lovely place for a quiet meal .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shirley M
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited last week had the Cullen skink as other review have said could have had a bit more fish ,but still nice , both had steak pie first class gravy .just right plenty steak . Chips good selection of veg very good only small point you are given a groupon menu not the main menu all in all great place will be going back again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited here to the restaurant last week. We were using a Groupon voucher and on approaching the bar the barman said loudly 'ok, it's a Groupon voucher you have' and I felt everyone in the bar area heard this. A bit embarrassing and unprofessional.

The meal was ok though the breadcrumbs my husband's mushrooms were fried in were so hard the fork took trouble piercing them.

The Cullen Skink was full of potatoes instead of an equal balance with the fish.

The steak pie was flavoursome but the gravy far too watery, nice chips and freah well presented vegetables though.

The service was ok but there wasn't much atmosphere. A nice, clean and cosy restaurant. However, there are better places to visit which are cheaper and tastier.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Vazbo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had been to the Harviestoun for lunch on a few occasions prior to deciding to try it for an evening meal and were a little disappointed. The food was pretty average, no rolls offered and no side plates, yet another table was offered this as standard. While the restaurant wasn't completely full, all the diners were seated down at one end where I felt we could almost have had a conversation with those seated beside and behind us. The price was on the high side for the meal we had but the service was okay. I couldn't highly recommend it but I would advise to be prepared for an average experience, sorry!

Room Tip: We never stayed the night, only had dinner
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holland21
Reviewed January 21, 2013

haven't been for a few months and my wife suggested it for Sunday lunch, her best suggestion to date after 25 years married. I had forgotten how good this place was and is excellent value for money. We had soup and melon starter, 2 Scottish sirloin roast beef, then room for profiteroles and caramel apple pie. The food was excellent, service was good to although restaurant not busy. I would strongly recommend anyone to try this hidden gem.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian R
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at the Harviestoun Country Hotel for one night in November 2013. It is quite small and compact with a very small bar area. We went into the bar for a drink on arrival and were swamped by diners waiting to get a table. The restaurant was really very busy.

We paid £85 for bed and breakfast; the room was very small but functional and fine for one night. I thought it was on the border of being expensive for what it was. There was no proper window, just a Velux in the sloping roof.

We ate in the restaurant and were really quite disappointed. My wife had beef stroganoff which she said was quite tasteless. I had fillet of beef and black pudding tower. It was drowned in a sweet, heavy, creamy whisky sauce. Why not put the sauce in a sauce boat and let the customer decide on the amount? I found the sauce quite overpowering. I mentioned it to the waiter; he was courteous enough but I don’t think he got my point. He mentioned that they had sold ‘loads of it’ that evening. There were a number of dishes on the menu with a similar whisky based sauce; not really to my liking!

The breakfast was excellent and the service was first class. All in all it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full sized window.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LRMacKenzie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillicoultry
Airth Castle & Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling
Travelodge Perth Broxden Junction
Inglewood House and Spa

Been to Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!