“Good for beer, fish and chips”
Review of The Craw Inn

The Craw Inn
The Craw Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Eyemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Arrived to check in and found the doors were locked so I suggest that future customers don't arrive before 6.00pm. Our room was clean but tired looking and too cold for comfort. The bar was very friendly and warmer though I was glad of my warm jumper and shawl. The guest beer, fish and chips were good. Note that the online price is for the room only so each breakfast is an additional £10.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Haliaeetusalbicilla
There are newer reviews for The Craw Inn

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just popped in for a quick coffee whilst heading up the A1. Everything was excellent - landlord, surroundings, service, company etc - and left me wishing we were staying for a drink and dinner.

also very child friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Two guest ales that are constantly changed and kept in good condition make this a good place to go in the Scottish Borders if you like your beer. Good food (with an excellent wine list) also make it a good place for dining. Small hamlet location just a few miles inland from A1 good for going into the hills of the Scottish Borders or the coast.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My wife and I arrived for our two-night stay at The Craw Inn at 5.45pm, only to find it closed and with no lights showing in the bar. After standing in the cold and knocking on a couple of windows with no response, I telephoned the Inn. The side door was opened by the owner, Trevor, who explained that it didn't open until 6pm. He remarked how cold it was and he did let us in. But it didn't seem to be the best start to our trip.

But when Trevor showed us up to our double-bedroom, all of our worries melted away.
The room was very homely. Although it had an en-suite bathroom, it had very few frills, yet managed to feel familiar and welcoming, even with its creaking floorboards! The double bed was comfortable enough for our two-night stay, and there were ample tea and coffee-making facilities. One small niggle was that the central-heating in the room was on
a timer and the room was cold, so Trevor gave us an electric heater to warm the room up.

We decided that we would try the Inn's fayre for our dinner. And stepping into the bar was like stepping back in time! This, surely, is how a country inn is meant to be! No juke box, no television, no irritating musak! Just warm, friendly conversation from the locals, who obviously popped in for either a wee dram from the extensive selection of malts, or for the cask ales that were on tap. We sat by the wood-burning stove and felt very relaxed.

And now to the food: My wife and I enjoyed the Sea-food dinners and the quality of the meals and puddings was superb. The excellent full breakfasts were so plentiful, that we were hard-pressed to finish them. But they certainly set us up for the day.

To sum up The Craw Inn, I would say: Excellent stay, coupled with excellent service, excellent food and friendly staff, in a place where time has stood still - in a good way! We will definitely return!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1, which was above the breakfast room and faced the road.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeorgeGreen
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Rooms satisfactory, we used two; bathrooms tired and in need of major refurbishment. Every word spoken (shouted) in the bar could be heard in both rooms; my children's vocabulary now includes words that I preferred it didn't. Breakfast for children a rip off - £10.00 for a bowl of cereal and orange juice!!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed November 10, 2011

A quiet location and a good place to visit various different places in the local area. The girl on the bar was very friendly and helpful, greeting us on arrival and showing us to our room. As we stayed in October it was a little quiet, but the bar was still full with locals which created a good atmosphere. We were made to feel very welcome.
The room we had was clean and well stocked with tea and coffee although some biscuits might have been nice! The floor boards creaked which did add to the charm. The bed was hard and too hard for me so I did not sleep that well whilst we were there.
We ate in the restaurant each night and the food was excellent.The fish and chips we had were very light and tasty and the batter was superb. I also had the steak pie which was excellent with lots of meat. My husband had the pork loin one night which he really enjoyed.
The breakfast was also excellent and the chef served us personally and could not do enough for us. A good place to stay. They have a 2 night offer for DB&B and the owner was prepared to do us a deal for 3 nights instead of 2. Everyone was very helpful. It would be useful though if it was made obvious that you could not get in until 6pm.

Room Tip: 1 room is ensuite one other has a bathroom and toilet oppostie.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HistoryKJ
Reviewed November 6, 2011

this was our second time at the craw inn and as per the last visit, was superb, the staff were spot on - the girl on the bar when we arrived was very good, greeting us and showing us to our room (it's always nice when you actually feel welcome on arival at a hotel/B&B so many times it's not the case) the girl who was on the bar restaurant at night was also very very good & attentive as was the owner who manned the bar in the evening.We dined in the restaurant (and were given our choice of dining area) the food was superb (I had the beer battered fish and chips - this was the best I've had anywhere, superb. my partner had the pork loin with black pudding and she highly recomeds it)

I love the feel of the bar and it was nice to see it so busy with diners and drinkers. The room was ideal, very comfy bed, well stocked with tea & coffee as well as being very clean although the floorboards were creaky we found this added to the charm and it is an old building.

The breakfast was as good as the evening meal the night before & was nice to see there was a veggie option as well - all in all another good stay & shall definately return again

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank groovy1970s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eyemouth
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
#3 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick upon Tweed
#3 of 12 in Eyemouth
Hillcrest Bed & Breakfast
Hillcrest Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 12 in Eyemouth

Been to The Craw Inn? Share your experiences!